A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite Recipes Mini Swap Gallery of Goodies  (Read 7887 times)
Tags for this thread: challah  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

serendipity_sarah
« on: July 17, 2008 01:03:53 PM »

Favorite Recipes Gallery of Goodies

Send by September 2

Sent
Received
Sent and Received
feedback given
late, with communication
Contact organizer immediately

Please post all check-ins and comments here: --> Original Thread

After you have posted a picture of what you received in your mini-gallery, please post a link to your mini-gallery in the original thread.

serendipity_sarah's group

cinnamon teal <--> BetNoir
taloola <--> MandyLikesPie
myklia <--> bezoona
koalascout <--> KimberlyPye
RondaS <--> hotfudge
perlabella <--> aml
when_im_sixty4 <--> handbaghannah83
macreede <--> mamarose22

Link to RondaS's Group: 
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=257794.msg2939464#msg2939464
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008 09:32:40 AM by serendipity_sarah » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimberly_Star
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008 02:35:00 PM »

Here are the awesome items that love2teach sent me!  She did such a thoughtful thing with the cookbook!  I'm so glad I'll have all of our recipes at my fingertips forever!

You can see the cookbook; a little leather album with an apron and some mixing bowls decorating the front.  She also sent a rolling pin recipe holder - it's really cute!  Isn't the notecard she sent with the package adorable?  The back of it has a recipe for chocolate mousse on it!

Here is a pic of the inside of the cookbook.  She typed out all of our recipes!  How faboo is that?!

Thank you, love2teach!  Your package for me is awesome and I'll use it all repeatedly!!

San Antonio Style Tortilla Soup

Serves 9-10
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-quart

1 TBSP. Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 14.5-oz. cans fat free/low sodium chicken broth
2 15-oz. cans stewed tomatoes
1 TBSP. jalapeno pepper, minced (remove seeds to reduce heat)*
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cups (about 1.5 lbs.) boneless, skinless chicken breast, uncooked and cubed
2 cups water
2 TBSP. cilantro (optional)

1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 4-6 hours.

Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese, fried corn tortilla chips and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.

*I use 2 whole jalapenos unseeded, but this makes a SPICY soup.

Per serving (without add-ons): 320 calories (50 calories from fat), 6g total fat (2g saturated, 0g trans), 30 mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 44g total carbohydrate (5g fiber, 7g sugar), 22g protein, 10%DV vitamin A, 10%DV vitamin C, 30%DV calcium, 15%DV iron.

DH and I just had this Tuesday night.  The leftovers are as good or better than when it is first served.  I love that it has the authentic Mexican flavor my DH is looking for, but doesn't have the grease and calories that old-school tortilla soup has.  I got the recipe from the book, Fix-It and Forget It Lightly.

"Italian" Chicken

6 - 8 Boneless, Skinless Chicken breasts
1 cup black olives, sliced
4 Bay leaves
8-16 cherry tomatoes,  halved
8 oz. Italian dressing
2 envelopes onion soup mix
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup vermouth or white wine (water can be substituted)

Preheat oven to 350*F.  Place chicken in a foil-lined 9" x 13" casserole dish.  Spread other ingredients evenly on top.  Bake for 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked.  Remove bay leaves and serve.

This recipe is from my grandmother.  I wasn't a decent cook until I met DH, so cooking this simple dish seemed out-of-reach for me until recently.  DH loves it, so it is now a regular meal on our rotation.  I've also adapted it to make it slow-cooker compatible.  The pic below is from last Friday.  This is the slow-cooker version with bone-in chicken and summer squash from our garden added.

Cappuccino Muffins

Espresso Spread:

4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Muffins:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

In a food processor or blender, combine the spread ingredients; cover and process until well blended.  Cover and refrigerate until serving.  In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  In another bowl, stir milk and coffee granules until coffee is dissolved.  Add butter, egg and vanilla; mix well.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.  Bake at 375*F for 17-20 minutes or until muffins test done.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.  Serve with espresso spread.  Yield: about 14 muffins (1 cup spread).

These muffins are special to me.  My DH's boss and wife, with whom we're great friends, got married on April 12, 2007.  They were both 40.  It was his first marriage and her second.  Their romance was a whirlwind and we couldn't have been happier for them.  (When I first met him I thought, "perpetual bachelor".)  Well, they started trying to conceive right away and agreed they'd stop trying on their one year anniversary.  They had one month left to conceive when she found out she was pregnant.  I made these for the first time to celebrate her pregnancy.  These are divine.  I got the recipe from Taste of Home magazine.

Black Bean Bow Tie Salad

8 oz. uncooked bow tie pasta
2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1-15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
cup fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
teaspoon salt
1 medium zucchini
1 medium sweet red pepper
1 medium green pepper
1/3 cup red onion

Chop all vegetables into uniform cubes.

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Rinse with cold water and drain; set aside.  In a small saucepan, bring broth and garlic to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for five minutes or until garlic is tender.  Cool slightly.  Transfer to a food processor and add cup black beans, cilantro, lime juice, oil, tomato paste, oregano and salt; cover and process until smooth.  Transfer to a large serving bowl.  Add the pasta, zucchini, peppers, onion and remaining beans; toss to coat.  Refrigerate until serving.  Yield: 10 servings.

This is a wonderful pasta salad for summer.  It has a very delicate flavor and is nice for a cool snack on a warm day.  I got it from Taste of Home online.  The pic below is of a batch made up for our yearly church salad supper.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008 08:24:21 PM by Kimberly_Star » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daniethanas
Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend, Crocheter

Hookin' like a fiend these days...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008 02:15:47 PM »

Here is the lovely hand-dyed/handwoven basket that krazy4katz sent me! I love love love it - it's going in my living room this weekend. Smiley She said that the red color is made from china teas and onion skins and the tan color is from hazelnut coffee. Isn't it purty!

Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Pizza
Ingredients:
- 1 premade whole-wheat pizza crust (I got mine at Whole Foods)
**Pizza crust stretches easier at room temperature. I usually buy mine same-day and leave it out while I'm prepping everything else and it does the trick.
For pan/dough prep: 1/8 cup flour, 1 tbsp. EVOO
SAUCE (makes enough for 2 pizzas, so you'll be able to store some):
- 2 tbsp. EVOO
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, chopped*
- 3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 19 oz. Roasted Red Peppers (I used a 12 oz. and a 7 oz. jar), drained and chopped*
- 1-1.5 tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. basil
*The chopping can be larger chunks; I usually just do strips.
TOPPINGS (for one pizza):
- 1 cubanelle pepper, "cored" and sliced in rounds
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (not the ones soaking in water, the freeze-dried ones)
- 1 cup feta cheese (or more, to your taste)
- 1/4 cup romano cheese, shredded lightly (I use a microplane)

Method:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (I have a conventional oven in New England, adjust other ovens as necessary)
- Heat 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onions, and as they start to heat press the garlic cloves into the pan.
- When the onions have started to become translucent (approx. 5 min.), add the roasted red peppers, crushed red peppers, and the basil. Heat for 2-3 min., remove from heat.
- Cut the top off of the cubanelle pepper, remove the inner seeds and slice in circles until you run out of pepper. Set aside.
- By now the onion/pepper saute should be cooled slightly. Put all contents of the pan into a food processor and process until it looks like a sauce (approx. 1 min. or so).
- On a cookie sheet, pour approx. 1. tbsp. EVOO and spread with a brush (or spoon) to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pizza dough from its packaging and sprinkle both sides with flour. Stretch the dough on the cookie sheet; don't worry if it doesn't touch all the edges,  you don't want it to have holes. I usually get it to touch the 2 shorter edges and about 2-3 inches away from the longer edges of a standard cookie sheet. If it's not at room temperature or close,  be prepared to fight to get it where you want to be before you add the toppings.
- Scoop half the sauce onto the pizza
- Distribute the cubanelle peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, and romano cheese evenly across the top of the dough.
- Cook in your preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Slice and enjoy!

(Makes 4 servings of 2 slices each)

Yummy & Easy Crock Pot Chili
Ingredients:
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 3 ribs celery hearts
- 2 cans beans (1 each chickpeas, kidney)
- 4 tsp chili powder
- tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4-5 turns fresh ground pepper
- 3 small cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 small can tomato paste
- 1 cup water

Method:
- Brown/drain beef
- Chop the onion, pepper, and celery
- Drain & rinse all beans
- Put all ingredients together in a crock pot and combine. (Don't drain the tomatoes!)
- Cook on high for 5 hours. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese.

Yummy Marinade for Meats
This tastes best with beef or chicken. I haven't tried it with pork.
Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dry minced onion
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. lemon peel (you can buy it dried some places, else 1/2 tsp. lemon zest)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper

Method:
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and mix
- Place 1 lb. meat in large ziploc bag.
- Pour marinade over meat.
- Close bag securely and shake the bag over the sink (just incase!) until the meat is well covered
- Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour. Cook meat on grill or broiler as usual.

Nana's Super Easy Mac & Cheese
This is the easiest thing in the world to make, and it is soooo good and addicting.
Ingredients:
- 1 - 1 lb. box of ziti (without lines)
- 1 big can (28 oz?) of whole tomatoes
- 16 slices of orange american cheese (NOT sliced thin! I usually use the individually wrapped because it's a good thickness)

Method:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook ziti according to package directions and drain
- Open the can of tomatoes (DO NOT DRAIN!!) and with a steak knife cut the tomatoes in the can roughly into quarters or eighths (usually I just put the knife in and drag it across the can, pushing the tomatoes on the side so that they cut).
- Combine the ziti and tomatoes (in their juice) in a large bowl
- In a large casserole pan or 9 x 13 deep baking dish, layer: half ziti/tomatoes, 8 slices cheese, other half ziti/tomatoes, 8 slices cheese
- Cook in 400 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, until top layer of cheese is melty and bubbling.
- EAT!!!

SO-EASY CUCUMBER AND APPLE SANDWICHES
Ingredients: (Makes 2 sandwiches, so invite a friend over or half the ingredients and put the remaining apples/cukes in the fridge for tomorrow)
- 4 slices of your favorite bread (I used oatnut because it's my new bread obsession)
- 1 cucumber, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (peeled if you want, I like 'em with the skins)
- 1 apple, sliced into 1/4 inch slices/wedges (again, peeled if you want, I like 'em with the skins) **Make sure to toss them in a bit of lemon juice or they'll go brown!**
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, divided (or vegan soy-cheese equivalent - cheese or cheese-like product is optional)

Method:
- Distribute the sliced cucumbers on two slices of bread (you may have some left over, just eat 'em on the side... all depends on the size cuke you have)
- Distrubute apple slices on top of the sliced cucumber layer (again, you may have leftovers)
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp parmesan cheese on each sandwich (if you want!)
- Cover the sandwiches with the other slices of bread. Serve with your favorite sandwich side.
I would imagine that this would be tasty with a dash of plain black pepper and/or cinnamon as well. If you try this - let me know!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008 05:46:27 AM by Daniethanas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedMenace
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008 06:18:14 PM »

Here's the lovely oilcloth mat made for me by thefranz (and modeled by my bed, because the kitchen's still a mess from my move Embarrassed) for easy cleanup when working with messy food! And she included oilcloth print recipe cards, too. I love everything, big thanks to thefranz for a fun swap!

Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies (makes about 40)

2 sticks ( pound) butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
cup sugar, plus more for coating cookies
cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips, or 12 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350*

Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Beat butter, vanilla, sugars, and egg until light and fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda in small bowl and whisk together. Stir dry ingredients into butter/sugar mixture in two batches. Stir in chocolate pieces. Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into 1 inch (3cm) balls and coat in sugar. Place well-spaced on baking sheets. Bake about 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheets.

This is quite possibly the perfect chocolate chip cookie. It stays soft and gooey on the inside, and the sugar coating keeps it crunchy and chewy on the outside. The recipe I adapted this from also called for candied chilies, which is definitely worth trying at least once:

Candied Chilies
cup water
cup sugar
3 fresh red Thai chilies, finely chopped

Stir water and sugar in small pot over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add chilies, boil 2 minutes; cool. Strain, discard syrup. Add to cookies with chocolate chips.

Chocolate Bread Pudding (serves 12-15)

1 loaf day-old brioche, challah, or other good quality white bread (about 1 pound)
4 cups Half & Half
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
8 large egg yolks
cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325*

Cut bread into 1 inch cubes. Fill a 9x13 glass baking dish with the bread. Bring the Half & Half to a boil and remove from the heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Combine sugar and yolks in a large bowl, whisking to combine. Very slowly pour chocolate mixture into egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until fully combined. Add vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.

Pour chocolate mixture over bread. Cover with plastic wrap and press down to make sure all bread pieces are thoroughly soaked. Let sit for 30 minutes. Bake until set, about 35 minutes.

I work at a bread bakery and get to take home as much leftover bread as I want at the end of every day, so believe me when I say I've tried an awful lot of bread pudding recipes. This is one of my favorites because it's so easy to make and tastes like a decadent chocolate dessert. I've been known to add a little extra chocolate, mixed in with the bread pieces sooo good!

Blueberry Crumb Cake (serves 9)

4 Tbsp ( stick) unsalted butter, room temp, plus more for pan
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
tsp baking soda
tsp salt
tsp ground allspice
cup sugar
1 large egg
cup buttermilk
1 cups blueberries, picked over, rinsed, and patted dry

Preheat oven to 350*

Line 9-inch square pan with foil. Butter foil.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and allspice. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk in alternating batches, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat until just combined. Fold blueberries into the batter. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with streusel topping recipe follows. Do not press streusel into batter. Bake 45-50 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.

Streusel Topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
cup packed light brown sugar
tsp salt
cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Using your fingers, work in the butter until large, moist crumbs form. Larger crumbs will ensure they form a crisp topping rather than melting into the batter. Refrigerate until ready to use.

This is a delicious breakfast bread, especially loved by the adults in my family, because it's not too sweet, as most breakfast pastries are these days.

Lamb Biryani (serves 4)

cup plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 tsp cayenne
tsp ground cumin
tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 pound boneless lamb, cut into -inch cubes
3 Tbsp butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
tsp ground cardamom or coriander
tsp turmeric
5 cloves
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 cups long-grain white rice, preferably basmati
2 cups water
1/3 cup raisins or dried cherries
1/3 cup chopped cashews, almonds, or pistachios

In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, and tsp salt. Stir in the lamb. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cardamom, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, rice, and remaining 1 tsp salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the lamb mixture to the pan. Stir in water and raisins. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the rice and lamb are almost done, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in the cashews.

This recipe is just delicious, I have all of the ingredients in my house about 90% of the time, and it takes substitutions really well. For example, if I don't want/have lamb, I substitute -inch diced carrots (follow same directions as for lamb) or chicken breasts (boil rice mixture for 10 minutes, then add chicken, cook for 10 more, continue as directed). A fast and easy one-dish meal.

Spinach with Orzo and Feta (serves 4 as a side)

pound orzo
1 pound spinach, trimmed and chopped
cup chopped fresh mint
cup crumbled feta cheese
1 to 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
Coarse salt and fresh-ground pepper

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the orzo according to package directions. Stir in the spinach until wilted. Drain. Combine with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Such a quick and easy side dish, there's almost no prep involved, and it has a really bright, fresh flavor. It's yummy at any temperature, which makes it really good for potlucks and barbecues.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008 08:41:53 AM by RedMenace - Reason: pics! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aspatria

I like road trips!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008 08:28:40 AM »

CraftADDchick sent me a fabulous, thoughtful crafty package! I think she read my mind - or at least magically guessed at the state of my cookbook bookcase....

It's a cookbook/recipe review kit! I have the worst time remembering where my favorite recipes are, so this will be a HUGE help Smiley

The inside pages let me sort by category, book, author, recipe, page #, rating, and even let me include any comments (extra helpful, because I have a tendency to adapt recipes). Oh, and the rating system? 0-5 cooking pots. Awesome.

Did I mention it's organized into types of dishes? I'm in love with this!

Thanks, Craft - this rocks! Smiley

Summer Sausage/Veggie Pasta

1 zucchini, sliced thinly
1 yellow squash, sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, sliced
medium onion, sliced thinly
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced in half
3-4 links precooked chicken sausage, sliced in rounds
pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
cup marinated black olives, sliced in half (optional)
Olive oil (1 turn of pan)
pound penne or rigatoni pasta (cooked)
teaspoon Kosher salt
  teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Ground cumin
Shredded Parmesan (optional)

Heat olive oil in large pan. Saute onion and garlic for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini, squash, and mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, olives, and sausage. Cook until sausage is heated through. Serve on top of pasta. Top with Parmesan if desired.

(This is also known as Whats in the Fridge? pasta around my place. Substitute nearly any of the ingredients you choose if you dont like them, and its also good without the sausage. I do like the olives, because they give a nice seasoning to the other ingredients, but marinated artichokes would also be really good. The cumin was a happy accident - I just really like it, and it added a nice depth to the other ingredients.)

Rosemary Chicken with Zucchini
(serves 4)

1 pound new potatoes
2 carrots
2 small zucchini
Olive oil
Whole-grain mustard
1 bunch fresh rosemary (or 2 pinches dried rosemary)
Kosher salt
Pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Heat oven to 400 degrees. As it heats, quarter the potatoes. Peel the carrots. Cut the carrots and zucchini into roughly 2-inch sticks. Mix them in a bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons whole mustard, the rosemary, teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and teaspoon pepper.

Layer the vegetables on the bottom of a baking dish. Top with the seasoned chicken. Roast for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken and toss the vegetables. Continue roasting for 10-15 minutes.

(The recipe can also be frozen in individual-serving-size bags for nights when you dont want to deal with chopping and cooking. If the ingredients are frozen, increase the initial roasting time to 25 minutes and the post-turning time to 20-25 minutes.)

Artichoke Hearts and Mushroom Bake
(serves Cool

2 cans whole artichoke hearts
2 lbs fresh mushrooms
teaspoon salt
teaspoon pepper
cup olive oil
1 cup flavored breadcrumbs
cup parmesan cheese

Drain artichoke liquid and slice hearts in quarters. Clean and slice mushrooms. Place 1 tablespoon olive oil at the bottom of a covered casserole dish. Arrange artichoke hearts on the bottom. Top with a layer of sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with of the breadcrumbs. Repeat the layers at least once. Finish the top layer of breadcrumbs with the remaining oil and top with the parmesan. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and brown the top till golden in color. Serve. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008 05:39:44 PM by aspatria » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarySweet
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008 03:27:23 PM »

Here's the goodies I received today from Songs4Drowning. I love this little chicken!! I can't wait to try a few new recipes she sent too.  Grin

Here they are together. I cute little chicken dressed timer and an earth toned recipe book. I love the colors.

Here's the chicken timer. Don't you think it's so cute? Her feet and beak sparkle, but you can't see it in the pictures.

Here's her back side and one of my fur babies Miss Roxy Brown Dog. She's the one that always has to sniff out all my swap packages!! Silly girl.

Coffee Cool Blast

1 C. Milk
1 T. Chocolate Syrup
1 t. Instant Coffee-I used hazelnut
6 ice cubes, you may need a few more depending on size
Mix in a blender until smooth. Pour into cups and top with cool whip.
Serves 2.

Watergate Salad
My Grandma makes this each holiday. Yummy

1 20 oz can crushed pineapple with juice-do not drain
1 3 1/2 oz box pistachio pudding
1 8 oz cool whip
1 C. mini-marshmallows

Mix well & chill.

Baked Beef Stew

1 to 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
5 to 7 potatoes, peeled & cubed
3-4 carrots, sliced-I use a small bag of baby carrots as is.
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 T. parsely-sometimes I add Italian seasoning instead.
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 14oz can beef broth

1. Combine the meat, veggies in a medium sized roasting pan.
2. In a med. size bowl combine tomato sauce, beef broth & seasoning. Mix well, pour over meat and veggies. Cover pan with the lid to bake.
3. Cook at 350* for 3 hours.
Serves 4 to 6.

Add salad and bread for a complete meal.

Taco Salad

1 lb ground beef
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package taco seasoning-I use Lawry's
1 15oz can kidney beans, undrained-I've also used pinto beans
1 small can sliced black olives
1-2 tomatoes, diced
a few green onions, sliced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese
shredded lettuce
crushed tortilla chips-we've also used flavored Doritos
hot sauce
sour cream
guacamole

Brown ground beef and garlic in skillet, drain. Mix in beans & taco seasoning and cook as directed.

When ready to serve, layer salad on your plate. Lettuce,  crushed chips, meat mixture, cheese, tomatoes, olives, green onions, hot sauce, sour cream & guacamole.

Peanut Butter Fudge

1 16oz jar marshmallow cream
1 C. peanut butter
1 t. vanilla
Put into a warm bowl and mix thoroughly.

2 C. sugar
2/3 C. milk
In a med. size sauce pan mix sugar & milk, cook until mixture reaches the soft ball stage. Pour over peanut butter mixture and mix quickly and pour into a buttered 9x9 dish.

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

In a gallon size zip lock bag mix
1/4 C. olive oil
3 T. soy sauce
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 t. minced garlic
1/2 t. thyme

Add 2-3 Portobello Mushrooms. Marinate for 2 hours.

Grill stem side down for 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and grill top side for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.

This is what I made  for Songs4Drowning

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008 02:07:41 PM by KimsCozyKitchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

That is sooo Craftastic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008 03:41:57 PM »

I recieved a super cute muffin shaped dish cloth!  The colors match my kitchen perfectly.  Thank you so much!!!!!!

Puppy Chow

1 Package (16 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup peanuts (optional)
6 cups corn cereal (Crispix, or Corn Chex)
1 cup powdered sugar

1. In large microwave save bowl, melt chocolate at high 1 minute.  Stir and heat 30 seconds longer at high or until melted when stirred
2. Stir in peanut butter and peanuts
3. Gently stir in cereal until evenly coated
4. Place powdered sugar in a large plastic zippered bag, add coated cereal, close  bag and toss until evenly coated

Store in airtight container in the refrigerator

Goofballs

1 package large Marshmallows
1 14oz package of Caramels
1/2 Cup Condensed Milk
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
1 box Crispy Rice Cereal

1. Freeze bag of marshmallows
2. In a double boiler combine caramels, condensed milk, and butter stirring until melted
3. Dip frozen marshmallows in melted caramel until completely coated
4. Roll in rice cereal
5. Place on waxed paper until set

Hints-
Only take a few marshmallows out of the freezer at a time to dip and set
Use two forks to dip marshmallows in caramel and roll in cereal

Birds Nest Cookies

1 1/3 cups Flaked Coconut
2 Sticks Butter or Magarine softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups (approximately) candy coated chocolates

1. Preheat oven to 300*F
2. Spread coconut on non-greased cookie sheet and toast in oven stirring occasionally until lightly golden, about 25 minutes
3. Increase oven tempeture to 350*F
4. Whip butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in egg and vanilla
5. Add flour and salt, blend into creamed mixture
6. Form dough into 1 1/4 inch balls and roll in coconut
7. Place on cookie sheet and make indentation in the center of each cookie with thumb
8. Bake 12 to 14 minutes
9. Cool cookies completely and add candy coated chocolate candies to indentations as the birds eggs

Parmesan Potatoes

2-3 large baking potatoes
1/4 cup oil
Paprika
Garlic Salt
Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper

1. Fill large pot with water and bring to a boil
2. Add potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes or until they slide off a fork easily
3. Cool, cut into cubes, and spread out on cookie sheet
4. Brush oil onto potatoes
5. Sprinkle with all seasonings (as little or as much as you want)
6. Broil until brown and crisp

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008 10:32:45 AM by lindyv321 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrookOwens
crafts made with love and lots of cussing...

I never knew why kid! I NEVER KNEW!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008 10:54:49 PM »

Chicken Cordon Bleu
Ingredients
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 slices Swiss cheese
4 slices cooked ham
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Cooking Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 7x11 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness.
3.Sprinkle each piece of chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Place 1 cheese slice and 1 ham slice on top of each breast. Roll up each breast, and secure with a toothpick. Place in baking dish, and sprinkle chicken evenly with bread crumbs.
4.Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from oven, and place 1/2 cheese slice on top of each breast. Return to oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove toothpicks, and serve immediately.

Homemade Chicken noodle soup from my great grandma Korr
Ingredients

One whole boiled chicken
   Noodles
1 egg
1/2 egg shell of milk (mix together)
1 cup flour
  Broth
3 cans campbells cream of chicken soup
3 cans swansons chicken broth

cooking directions:
Boil chicken (I do it before and let it cool down so I can shred it easier) Shred into bite sizes add to the soup pot
Noodles
  In a bowl add 1 egg and 1/2 egg shell of milk, mix together, slowly add 1 cup flour. add more flour if too sticky.On a floured serface, Roll out super thin and cut noodles VERY thin (once cooked they triple in size)

Add broth and let cook on medium untill noodles are fully cooked

Spanish Flan
Ingredients
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Carefully pour hot syrup into a 9 inch round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat eggs. Beat in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil. make sure to cook in a water bath
Bake in preheated oven 60 minutes. Let cool completely.
To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges when completely cool.

Here are the "finger-tip mitts" Serendipity_Sarah Sent me!!! I love love love them so much!!! The fabric is PERFECT!! its all famous places in California! I have never seen this fabric and I love it!! These are perfect for pulling out some COOKIES!!! Thank you so much Sarah! Thanks for the letter as well!

Don't mind the messy hair and ZERO make-up !!! Attack of the pot holder!!!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008 05:15:53 PM by BrookOwens » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://brookowens.etsy.com

http://brookowens.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/brookowens

If you live in So. California (LA,OC,SD) message me... I want to put a little craft group together!!!
love2teach
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008 05:47:30 AM »

Here's the lovely gift that Kimberly_Star sent me...

It's a clipboard to place recipes on while I am cooking.

Easy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Eclair Dessert

Prep Time:  30 minutes  Total Time:  8 hours or overnight   Servings:  24

1 3/4 cups cold milk
1 package (4 serving size) instant vanilla pudding
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
24 graham crackers
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter

Pour milk into large bowl.  Add pudding mix and whisk until well blended.
Add peanut butter and mix well.  Fold in Cool Whip.
Layer 8 graham crackers on the bottom of a 9" X 13" baking dish.  Top with 1/3 of the filling mix.
Repeat layers making sure the top layer is graham crackers.

Microwave chocolate and butter on HIGH for 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute. 
Stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended.
Spread immediately over graham crackers.

Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.  Store in refrigerator.

Low Fat Zesty Shrimp and Pasta

Prep Time:  10 minutes   Total Time:  25 minutes  Serves:  6

8 ounces linguine, uncooked
3/4 cup reduced fat Italian dressing, divided
2 cups fresh mushrooms
2 small onions, thinly sliced
14 ounces artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 pound large shrimp, uncooked, shelled and devained
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Cook past as directed on package.
Heat 1/2 cup of dressing in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add mushrooms, artichoke heats and onions.  Cook for 3 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender.  Stir occasionally.
Add shrimp and parsley.  Cook for two minutes or until shrimp are pink and vegetables are tender.
Drain pasta and return to pot. 
Add shrimp mixture and remaining 1/4 cup dressing.  Toss lightly.
Sprinkle with cheese.

Terrific Tuna Melt

Prep Time:  5 minutes   Total Time:  8 minutes   Serves:  1

1 can (3 oz.) white tuna in water, drained, flaked (about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
1 pita bread (6 inch)
3 tablespoons  mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon fresh vegetables ( cucumbers, carrots and/or radishes), finely chopped

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F. Mix tuna and cream cheese spread; spread onto bread.
Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Top with vegetables.

Summer Tomato and Crab Salad

Servings:  6

2 1/2 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 pound cooked crab meat
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Salt and white pepper to taste
3/4 cup low fat or regular sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped dill
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Put tomatoes, crab, chives, lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper into a large bowl and toss gently to combine; set aside. Stir together sour cream, dill, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Spoon tomato and crab salad onto plates and serve with dollops of the dill sour cream on the side.

Nutrition Info
Per serving (about 11oz/311g-wt.): 110 calories (15 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 55mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 9g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 18g protein

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008 07:42:59 PM by love2teach » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest:  http://www.pinterest.com/lac1424/
My Raverly ID:  love2teach
cinnamon teal
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008 09:12:14 PM »

BetNoir sent me an awesome package!

First, the cute packaging:

She made me two adorable mini mitts!  I love them!

And she also sent some homemade biscuits for my pup.  Don't let the picture fool you.  The second I released him he gobbled up the biscuit and went looking for more!  Grin

Thank you so much, BetNoir!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curried Chicken and Vegetable Soup:

1/2 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small sweet potato, diced
1 T fresh ginger, grated
1/2 cup olive oil
8 cardamom pods (green)
12 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
1 T Corriander
1/8 t cayenne
1 t curry powder
1 breast chicken, cut into small pieces
1 quart chicken broth
1 bunch kale, chopped
3 small carrots, chopped

In a large pot, heat olive oil over high.  Add the onions, garlic, ginger and sweet potato.  Fry until onions start to turn golden - stir to keep them from burning.  Add cardamom, cloves and bay.  Fry for about 5 min - till cardamom pods get puffy.  Add coriander, cayenne and curry powder.  Fry for about 15 seconds to a minute.  Add the chicken and continue stirring until it's no longer pink.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Add the kale and boil for about 10 min.  Add the carrots and boil until just soft.  Turn off heat and let cool for about 10 min.  Enjoy!

Tomato and Pesto Pizza:

Make the pizza dough (see recipe below).  While the dough is rising, make the pesto (recipe below). 

Dust a baking sheet with corn meal and stretch and roll the dough out to the size of the baking sheet.  Spread the pesto (see recipe below) over the crust.  Place mozzarella slices over the pesto.  Top with tomato slices (about 4-6 medium sized tomatoes) and onion (1/4 - 1/2 red onion, thin sliced half rounds).  Sprinkle with minced garlic (1-2 cloves) and drizzle olive oil over.  Sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and dry thyme.  Bake till the crust is golden and the cheese has melted and is starting to turn golden and crusty in parts (10-20 minutes at 475). Let cool for 10 min or so - that's some hot cheese!

Pizza Dough (slightly modified from Joy of Cooking)

Combine in a large bowl or the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer and let stand until the yeast is dissolved, about 5 minutes:
  1 1⁄3 cups warm (105 to 115F) water
  1 package (2 1⁄4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
Add:
  2 1⁄2 to 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
  1 cup whole wheat flour
  2 tablespoons olive oil
  1 tablespoon salt
Mix by hand or on low speed for about 1 minute. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or with the dough hook on low to medium speed until the dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly coated with olive oil and turn it once to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean cloth and let rise in a warm place (75 to 85F) until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours. Preheat the oven to 475F. Grease baking sheet and dust with cornmeal; or place a baking stone in the oven and preheat it for 45 minutes.
Punch down the dough. Roll into a ball and let rest, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for 10 to 15 minutes. Prepare the desired toppings.

Pesto from Simply Recipes

INGREDIENTS
      2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
      1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
      1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
      1/3 cup walnuts
      3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
      Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
      Special equipment needed: A food processor
METHOD
1 Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
2 Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Makes 1 cup.

Crockpot Chili

In a medium skillet, fry until golden:
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 dried chile pasilla, chopped (you can sub any large, med-mild dried chile)
- 2-3 tbls olive oil
Remove from skillet and put into food processor (or blender) along with 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes. Process until mostly smooth.
Add sauce to crockpot.

In skillet, fry up
- 1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
along with
- chili powder (2-3 tablespoons)
- cumin (1 Tbls or so)
- coriander (a couple teaspoons)
- dry mustard (1 Tbls, or so) - you can also use prepared mustard
Stir to break apart beef continue frying until cooked through.
Add to crockpot.

Toss the following ingredients into the crockpot also:
- 1 (14 oz) can kidney beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans or pintos - drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can corn (optional)
- 1 bottle or can of beer (12 oz)
- Another can of diced tomatoes
- Meat or poultry broth to cover (I often don't need any at all)

Cook on low for 6 hours or so.

Serve topped with grated cheddar.

Cinnamon, Chocolate Chip Scones
(recipe modified from the Joy of Cooking)
(reposted, hope y'all don't mind!)

preheat oven to 400

whisk together thoroughly:
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t salt

cut in using pastry blender:
- 6 T butter cut into small pieces
do NOT over mix - it should look like bread crumbs, not paste!

stir in:
- 1/2 c chocolate chips

whisk together and add all at once:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c heavy cream

Mix together with a rubber spatula until all dry ingredients are moist.  Then get your hands in there in knead it a few times to form it into a ball.  Don't worry if it doesn't all stick together but try to get it mostly into one single ball.  Then turn it out onto an ungreased baking sheet and using your hands, form it into a 3/4 inch thick round.  Cut it into 8 wedges and brush the tops with some heavy cream.  Then brush them a second time.  Finally, sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar.  Bake for about 15 min, until the tops are lightly golden, but before the bottoms turn dark and burn.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008 05:13:09 PM by cinnamon teal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
History in Five: Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation
The Legend of Sheba by Tosca Lee
How This Author Discovered The Untold Story Behind The Creation Of Facebook
How We Came to Medicate More Than Four Million Children with ADHD
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...