A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite Recipes Mini Swap Gallery of Goodies  (Read 7382 times)
Tags for this thread: challah  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

the franz
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008 09:53:36 AM »

My Awesome Package from RedMenace

Thank you soo much RedMenace!
My Recipes

"Faux" Crabcakes

I swear these taste exactly like crabcakes only you don't have to go through the hassle of picking crabs!  A great dish for vegetarians too!

Ingredients:
2 Large Zucchini
1 Egg, beaten
1 TBSP Mayonnaise
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
2 TSP Old Bay Seasoning
~1 CUP Plain Bread Crumbs
Vegetable Oil

Directions:
1. Grate the zucchini into thick shreds and drain using paper towels. 
2. Mix together the grated and drained zucchini, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay and bread crumbs in a large bowl adding bread crumbs as needed, until you have mixture that will easily hold together.
3. Form the mixture into patties and set aside
4. Pour ~1/4 inch of vegetable oil into a deep skillet (cast iron is best) and heat on medium high
5. Fry the zucchini cakes for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
6. Drain the oil off the cakes on a papertowel and serve warm with either seafood of tarter sauce.

Mountian Dew Cake

Kinda like serendipity_sarah's Bundt cake only lemony.

Ingredients:
1 box of lemon cake mix
1 3.4oz box of lemon pudding mix
1 12oz. can of Mountian Dew
3/4 cup of oil
4 eggs

Directions:
Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Pour into a well greased bundt or tube pan and bake in an oven preheated to 350 for 45 to 50 minutes

Eggplant Rollatini

By far my most favorite meal!

Ingredients:
SAUCE
1/2 cup vegetable oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Bay leaf

ROLLATINI
2 cups plain dried bread crumbs
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
1.  Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant and lightly browned. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with Bay leaf,Italian seasoning, salt, sugar, and pepper. Simmer covered over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large shallow dish, stir together the bread crumbs and flour. In a separate dish, whisk together the eggs and cream with a fork.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dip each eggplant slice into the egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs. Fry each slice until golden brown in the hot oil, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
4. Spread a thin layer of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cheese mixture onto one side of each slice of eggplant. Roll up, and place in the baking dish seam side down. Spoon the remaining tomato sauce over the rolls. Cover the baking dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008 04:16:03 PM by the franz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandyLikesPie
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008 11:28:37 AM »

Here's what I received from taloola! Thanks, taloola!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

Orzo Salad
(from Giadia De Laurentiis)

4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups orzo
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
About 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe follows
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.
(Yield: 1 3/4 cups)

Rhubarb Crisp
(from Everyday Food)
2 pounds rhubarb, sliced crosswise 3/4 inch thick
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, combine the rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup flour; set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine remaining 1/2 cup flour and the butter. Pulse until the butter pieces are pea-size. Add brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon. Pulse to combine. Sprinkle over rhubarb.
Bake until rhubarb is tender and topping is golden, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.

Winter Minestrone
(from Giadia De Laurentiis)

*This takes a little while to prepare, but oh my gosh, is it tasty!*

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound Swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped
1 russet potato, peeled, cubed
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 fresh rosemary sprig
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
2 (14-ounce) cans low-sodium beef broth
1 ounce piece Parmesan cheese rind
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
Salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, pancetta, and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and potato; saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and rosemary sprig. Simmer until the chard is wilted and the tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, blend 3/4 cup of the beans with 1/4 cup of the broth in a processor until almost smooth. Add the pureed bean mixture, remaining broth, and Parmesan cheese rind to the vegetable mixture. Simmer until the potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Stir in the whole beans and parsley. Simmer until the beans are heated through and the soup is thick, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Discard Parmesan rind and rosemary sprig (the leaves will have fallen off of the stem.)

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Fettuccine all'Alfredo con Prosciutto di Parma
(from Rachael Ray)

1 (12 ounce) package egg fettuccine
1/3 pound prosciutto di Parma
2 tablespoons butter
1 to 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
1 cup (3 healthy handfuls) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 pinches ground nutmeg or about 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Coarse ground black pepper
A pinch coarse salt

Bring salted water to a rolling boil for the pasta and cook to package directions for al dente pasta.
Slice prosciutto ham into thin strips across. Separate ham ribbons and loosely pile them up and set aside.
Preheat a large skillet over moderate heat. Drain the pasta. Add the butter to the pan and melt. Add half-and-half to the melted butter. Stirring constantly, add cheese and cook sauce 1 minute. Season with nutmeg, pepper, and a pinch of salt. Turn off heat under sauce and add pasta to the skillet. Toss pasta until sauce coats the noodles evenly. Add prosciutto ribbons and toss to evenly distribute them.

Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
(from Rachael Ray)

1/2 baguette or crusty long loaf bread, sliced (12 pieces)
2 large cloves garlic, cracked away from skin
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
3 small plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
20 fresh basil leaves
Coarse salt

Preheat broiler to high, (if you prefer you can also grill the bread). Place bread slices on a broiler pan. Char bread on each side under hot broiler, keep an eye on it! Rub toasts with cracked garlic and drizzle with oil. Chop seeded tomatoes and place in a small bowl. Pile basil leaves on top of one another and roll into a log. Thinly slice basil into green confetti and loosely combine with tomatoes. Add a drizzle of oil and a little coarse salt to the bowl and gently toss tomatoes and basil to coat. Pile toasts around the bowl of topping. Place a spoon to scoop topping in bowl and serve.

More to come!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008 06:40:13 PM by MandyLikesPie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BetNuit
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008 09:49:17 PM »

Checkout the AWSOME dishclothes Cinnamon Teal sent me!  It's hard to tell from the pic but one is a paw print and the other a kitty face!  I LOVE THEM!!!  She also sent the pups some dogs treats.  Thanks so much
for being a great swap partner!

MY RECIPES

Abbys Favorite Peanut Butter Puppy Treats

1 cup lactose-free milk         
1 cup all natural peanut butter      
2 cups whole wheat flour         
1 cup chopped oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1-2 cups yogurt chips (optional*)

Preheat oven to 400
Mix milk and peanut butter in a large bowl until smooth
Combine flour, oats, and baking powder in a separate large bowl
Gradually add dry ingredients to peanut butter mixture
Knead dough by hand, add small amounts of milk if dough is too dry
Roll out dough to thickness on lightly floured surface
Cut out treats using a dog bone cookie cutter

Bake treats on un-greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes.  Turn the oven off, but leave treats in the
oven to dry out for 1-2 hours.  Store treats in airtight containers or in fridge for up to 2 weeks.

* Optional: Once the treats are completely cooled, melt yogurt chips in the microwave. Dip of
each treat into melted yogurt and place on wax paper to harden. 

Pimento Cheese
3 oz cream cheese (softened)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1cup shredded Monterey jack
cup mayo
3 tablespoons pimento chopped
salt, pepper,  garlic to taste
3 dashes of Worcester sauce

Blend the cream cheese with a mixer until light and fluffy.
Mix in all the other ingredients by hand.
Store in the fridge.
Best if made the day before.

Irish Oatmeal (Vegan Friendly)
2 cups water or soy milk
cup Irish oatmeal (steel-cut) oats
1/8 teaspoon salt
Apple Raisin topping

Bring water to a boil in saucepan.
Add oats
Cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes
Add salt.
Lower heat to medium-low
Continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
Remove from heat and set aside for 2-3 minutes. 
Serve with apple Raisin Topping

Apple Raisin Topping for Oatmeal:
1 apple quartered cored and cut into bite size pieces
cup raisins
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a medium pot, combine all ingredients, bring to a low boil and simmer on medium-low for about 10 minutes, or until apples are soft.

This recipe is fairly quick to make. You'll never eat instant oatmeal again!

Ultimate Banana Pudding
2   3.4 oz Boxes Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
3   Cups Milk
16 oz. Cool Whip
 8  oz. Sour Cream
1   Box Vanilla Wafers
2   Bananas

Use mixer to blend instant pudding and milk until thick
DO NOT COOK
Add cool whip and sour cream to pudding
Layer bananas, wafers and pudding in bowl.

This pudding is a family favorite.  Anytime I take it to a potluck - I always get asked for the recipe!

NEW ADDITION!!!  Stuffed Green Peppers

6 large green peppers
1 pound ground beef
2 tablesppons chopped onion
1 cup cooked rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Cut tops off green peppers and remove seeds and membranes
Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain completely.

Preheat oven to 350.

Brown and drain hamburger.  Add onion, cooked rice, salt, garlic salt and tomato sauce, heat on medium high until bubbly.

Stand green peppers up in large ungreased casserole dish. 
Stuff each pepper with beef mixture.
Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes
Uncover, sprinkle cheese over the stuffed peppers, bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and staring to brown.

This is a regular meal for my family.  We have it at least 2-3 times a month.  It's an easy. no-fail recipe that tastes great everytime.  ENJOY! 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008 03:22:40 PM by BetNoir » THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008 03:27:59 AM »

These are the fantastic produce bags I received from Bezoona.  I'm so excited too, because in a couple of days I need to go to the grocery store to get carrots, cucumbers and green onions (I'm making sushi), so I can use them.

First, the bags:

Now with my garden goodies in the bag.  The big one has my huge zucchini and the smaller one has some of my tomatoes (yum):

Thank you super super much bezoona.  You were an excellent partner and your first swap was wonderful (now I just hope you like what I'm sending you Embarrassed)

INDIAN CUCUMBER SALAD

3 med           Cucumbers
1 cup       Plain low-fat yogurt
1 tbsp       Fresh lemon juice
1 tsp       Ground cumin
1 tsp       Dried mint leaves

Peel cucumbers, cut in half, discard the seeds and slice thinly.  Mix remaining ingredients together, then add cucumbers and stir together.

Servings 4, Calories 37, fat 0, protein 3g, sodium 46g

VEGGIE SANDWICH

This sandwich is a healthier version of a sandwich I used to love to eat at a coffee shop and the sandwich was called four cheese and tomato sandwich.  This is a two cheese version.

2 slices   Whole Wheat Bread (I like the Bakers Inn
            brand)
2 tbsp      Light (or fat-free) cream cheese of your
             choosing
1 tbsp      Light (or fat-free) Miracle Whip or mayo
         Mozzarella slice
                   Tomato slices
         Cucumber slices
         Onion slices
         Any other vegetables you want
         Lettuce of your choice

On one slice of bread spread the cream cheese.  On the other slice put the Miracle Whip or mayo.  Put your lettuce on top of each slice of bread.  On the mayo side put your mozzarella slice.  On top of the other slice of bread, layer all your vegetables.  Top with the slice of bread with the Miracle Whip or mayo.  Cut your sandwich in half and enjoy.

AJAR (from recipesource.com)

3 tbs          Rice Vinegar
1 tbs          Sugar
tsp         Salt
1 dash       Black Pepper
1 med        Cucumber, peeled
cup        Red Onion, thinly sliced
2 tbs          Cilantro
1 small      Red or Green Chili

In a medium bowl, stir vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until sugar and salt are dissolved.  Quarter the cucumber lengthwise.  Remove the seeds.  Cut quarters crosswise into 1/8 inch thick slices.  Add cucumber, onion, cilantro, and chili to vinegar dressing; toss until combined.  Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

CURRY VEGETABLE DIP

8 oz            cream cheese
8 oz            sour cream
Spoonful      mayonnaise
2 tsp           curry powder
1 tsp           ground cumin
2 tsp           fresh lemon juice
1 tsp           salt
1/2 tsp        turmeric
2/3 cup       chopped celery
1/2 cup       scallions

First mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise.  I find an electric mixer works best.  Add the remainder of the ingredients (without using an electric mixer) and mix together.  Cut up some fresh vegetables and enjoy the dip.  This recipe is from the TV show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.  I doubled the recipe (because I absolutely love it). (edit: I don't think the above is double the recipe, I just autimatically do it anyways Smiley)

GARLIC LOVER'S CREAMY CUCUMBER DRESSING

1 cup   Cucumber peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 cup   Mayonnaise
1     Garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp   Parsley, minced
1 tbsp   Chives and/or Scallions, minced
1 cup   Yogurt, plain non-fat

Stir together cucumber, mayonnaise, garlic, parsley, chives and pepper.  Fold in yogurt.  Chill.

TOMATO PEACE TART

You can find the recipe and see the picture at http://gourmetish.blogspot.com/2006/06/my-tomato-peace-tart.html
Tart Crust
1 cups       All-purpose flour
stick (6 tbsp)   Cold unsalted butter, cut into -inch cubes
2 tbsp         Cold vegetable shortening
2 tbsp         Freshly grated parmesan
tsp         Black pepper
tsp         Salt
2 to 4 tbsp      Ice water

Blend together flour, butter, shortening, parmesan, pepper, and salt in a bowl with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) until mixture resembles course meal with some roughly pea-size lumps.  Drizzle 2 tablespoons ice water over and gently stir with a fork (or pulse in food processor) until incorporated.

Gently squeeze a small handful:  If it doesnt hold together without falling apart, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring (or pulsing) after each addition until incorporated, continuing to test.  (Do not overwork dough, or it will become tough.)

Turn out dough onto a work surface and divide into 2 portions.  With heel of your hand, smear each portion once in a forward motion to help distribute the fat.  Gather both portions of dough into 1 ball, and then pat into a disk.  Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, about 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 375. 

Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch round and fit into a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable rim (I didnt have a tart pan, so I just used a pie pan and it worked just fine).  Roll rolling pin over top of pan to trim dough flush with rim.  Lightly prick tart shell all over with a fork.
Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights or rice (I used rice, it does work well for this purpose).  Bake in middle of oven 20 minutes.  Carefully remove foil and weights and bake until golden, about 15 minutes more.  Cool in pan on a rack.

Filling

Several cloves of roasted garlic
Leftover homemade pesto (you can buy it in the store, but look and make sure you recognize the ingredients so it is natural)
Fresh mozzarella (log-style is best) that has drained over paper towels to release moisture
Tomatoes of your choice, seeded
Fresh basil

The author didnt, but I did put in caramelized onions.  I will incorporate that into the recipe, but you can leave it out if you want to.

Preheat the oven to 400-425 degrees.  Spread the roasted garlic evenly over the bottom of the crust.  Spread a thin layer of pesto along the bottom of the crust.  Lay thin slices of fresh mozzarella over the bottom of the crust.  Be sure to fill in spaces with shredded fresh mozzarella.  Then what I did was put the caramelized onion on top of that and more cheese on top of the onions.  Not a thick layer, just spread thinly.  Arrange slices of tomatoes on top of the mozzarella but be sure to get ride of any excess moisture on the tomatoes.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted, the crust has browned, ad the tomatoes have withered a bit (but dont look mushy).  Take a paper towel and soak up any moisture/water that may have been released during baking.

Sprinkle with sliced fresh basil.

PANZANELLA (Italian Bread and Tomato Salad)

6 cups   Day-old crusty peasant-style bread, cut or torn into bite-size pieces
1/3 cup         Olive oil
       Sea salt and pepper, to taste
3 cloves      Garlic, minced
cup         Olive oil
2 tbsp          Balsamic vinegar
4 medium     Tomatoes, cut into small wedges
cup          Red onion, sliced
10      Fresh basil leaves, shredded
cup         Pitted green olives, halved
1 cup          Mozzarella (marinated if you like), cut into bite-size pieces

Preheat oven to 400F.  In a large bowl, toss bread, 1/3-cup olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic.  Lay bread out on baking sheet and toast in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.

Remove bread from oven and cool slightly.  Whisk together cup olive oil and vinegar.  In a large bowl, stir together bread, tomatoes, onion, basil, olives and mozzarella until the salad is combined.  Stir in vinaigrette.  Let salad sit for 20 minutes or so to allow bread to absorb dressing and for flavors to blend (depending on how crisp or soft you like your bread) and serve. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008 07:16:48 PM by myklia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008 08:38:38 AM »

here is the radtastic chicken hot pad that mandylikespie sent to me! isnt it awesome!!! it so fits in my kitchen and house in general! if only you guys knew how many chickens i have around! anyhow, here it is! i love it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
German Pancake aka Dutch Baby
This is my favorite breakfast ever!!! My grandma taught me this one!

4-6 servings
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter/grease a large cast iron pan or the equivalent.

Ingredients: (these are approximate as i make this without measuring!)
6 eggs
1 T. sugar
1.5 tsp of salt
2/3 C. flour
2/3 C. milk
2 T. soft butter
1/2-1 tsp. vanilla

for serving: lemon wedges and powdered sugar...

Beat your eggs and mix in all ingredients in a bowl. Pour contents into your greased cast iron pan. Stick in oven on the middle rack so heat is distributed evenly. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Then decrease heat to 350 degrees and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and serve with lemon wedges and sprinkled powdered sugar on top!

i like to add berries or other fruit (warm apples are good too)...enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cream of Asparagus Soup
approx. 8 servings

Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs asparagus
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Leeks (cleaned and sliced)
3 Cloves Garlic
6 C. Chicken broth
2 C. Milk
salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the tough ends of the asparagus stalks. Cut asparagus into approx. 1 inch chunks.

In a large pot, heat oil. Saute your leeks until tender. Add garlic and saute for about a minute. Add about 3/4 of your asparagus and all of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and partially coverpot. Simmer until your veggies are tender and soft...about 20 minutes.

Stick your soup into a blender and puree. return it then to your pot. Add milk and stir. Add the rest of your asparagus so there are asparagus chunks (if you dont like chunky, you can cook all the asparagus as stated earlier)! simmer for a bit. Salt and pepper to taste. enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This last recipe is kind of difficult to explain but sooooo worth it....it is a lovely combo of flavors and is so good during the summer...or whenever really!

Green Papaya Salad (or can substiture papaya with cucumber)
(This recipe is from my sister in law...this salad is awwwesome. This recipe is not exact as i learned to make it by just tossing it together without measuring...feel free to do the same depending on the flavors you want to stand out the most.)
 *note that the papaya used is NOT ripe. It is green papaya.*

Ingredients:
1 med. Green Papaya (I typically get this at Asian produce markets or Owajimaya if you have one) or 4-6 decent sized cucumbers, cut into thin shreddy slices!
Thai Hot peppers (as many as you think you can handle-perhaps start with one or two and work your way up. i use about 6-8.)
3-4 Cloves Garlic (leave skins on)
1 lime (quarter wedged)
1-2 large Tomato (diced or sliced)
1 handful of fresh green beans (chopped into about 1-1/2 inch pieces)
dash of salt.

To prepare your papaya: peal the green skin off with pearing knife or pealer. now, you can grate the papaya with a grater...but this makes for kind of a mushy salad...(this next part is hard to explain but here goes...) i basicly make shreds of papaya by holding the papaya in my left hand and tapping on the outer part of the papaya with a big knife til shreds are coming off of it. the shreds are usually a couple inches long and about 1/8 of an inch wide...there is no concise way to explain this! do this till you have plenty of papaya to feed your crew! i usually only use about 3/4 of the papaya. Put aside for now.

In a mortar and pestle pound your garlic and peppers and dash of salt into a paste. Add green beans and pound your green beans til they are bruised but still intact. Add lime wedges, papaya shreds and tomatoes. Mash/pound altogether. Stir with a spoon as you pound so the papaya and other ingredients absorb all the flavors...

(This salad is typically served with sticky rice...but you can enjoy it alone or with fresh green lettuce leaves etc. you can also add peanuts...and sometimes i add a bit of fresh cilantro to it which is delicious as well!)

*if you dont have a mortar and pestle: cuisinart your garlic and peppers and salt together to make a paste. mix in a bowl with your green beans and mash em til their bruised. Squeeze limes into mix and toss the skins in and mash em up a bit to get some of that flavor out. Add papaya and tomatoes and mash and stir it all up real good trying to mix all the flavors together.*

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008 04:06:22 PM by taloola - Reason: add what i rec'd. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

koalascout
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008 01:49:56 PM »

An apple magnet and an apple dishcloth

OK, reserving to put my recipes as soon i as remember where i put them around the house.

Spritz cookies (from my grandmother)
1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup flour

I usually use a spoon and just drop them on a greased cookie sheet evenly spaced roughly the same size for even cooking. Bake at 420 for 8 minutes or until brown.

Boiled cookie (from an aunt on my mom's side)
cross between candy and a cookie

2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 a pound margarine
4 tablespoons cocoa
2 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup chopped nuts (whatever nuts you like)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter (optional)

Cook sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa for 1 1/2 minutes. Starting counting when mixture reaches a full rolling boil (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and add oats, nuts, vanilla, and peanut butter (if desired). Beat well until blended. Spoon onto wax paper. Let them seat overnight to set up. May take a few tries to get it right.

Pecan Cake

2 cups butter or margarine, softed
1 (16-oz) package light brown sugar
6 large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
3 tablespoons hot water
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped pecans

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
Dislove coffee granules in 3 tablespoons hot water; stir in milk and vanilla.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. fold in pecans. pourbatter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
bake at 325 for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. cool on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.

Eggrolls (American)

1 package of coleslaw mix
1 package of alfalfa or bean sprouts
1 package of seasoning blend (bell pepper, onion, celery)
1 pound of ground meat (beef, chuck, turkey, pork; which you prefer)
1/2 cup kikomann soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic salt or minced
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1 or 2 packages of egg roll wraps

i use a big pot so i don't have as much to clean up later. first fry your ground meat until done with or without seasoning blend. then you add coleslaw mix, sprouts, season blend (if you didn't cook it with the meat), soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Let cook for about an hour or until it looks done. After mixture is done. Take an egg roll wrap lay it out on a diagonal put about a tablespoon of mixture and roll it up similar to a burrito. then you put them in a fry daddy for a couple of minutes to cook wrapper until brown.

i am estimating on spices and soy sauce i usually just put it in i don't measure for this one.

German Potato Salad

5 lbs potatoes
1 package bacon
1 onion (tennis ball size)
6 eggs
German or white wine vinegar
pepper
salt
a dash of yellow mustard (approx. 1/2 teaspoon) to taste
chopped peppers (optional)
chopped pickles (optional)

OK, first of all we don't measure when we make this, this is roughly the amounts we use to make it and it feeds approx. 6 adults (4 of those guys)

1.    boil potatoes until tender approx. 30 minutes, drain, cool, and slice or dice (whichever you  prefer)
2.    cook bacon until done, drain it a little bit, crumble or cut it up. keep bacon drippings you will use it as well
3.    chop onion, you can sautee in the bacon drippings if you would like to
4.     hard boil the eggs, drain, peel, slice or dice (whichever you prefer)
5.     combine everything, season to taste

You should be able to find the German vinegar at an international market

Mardi Gras King Cake Cup Cakes

Instructions
1 box of yellow cake mix (follow directions and be sure to have eggs and vegetable oil on hand or whatever the directions call for on the package)
Paper cup cake pan liners

Prepare the cake batter according to package directions and spoon into the paper cup cake pan liners. Bake according to the directions on the package. Remove from the even when baked and cool.

Once the cup cakes have cooled, insert a plastic baby into the top of the cup cake. Gently press it into the cup cake. Spread the icing on top being careful to cover the hole made by inserting baby. Sprinkle green, purple and gold (or yellow) sprinkles liberally over top.

BE SURE TO TELL EVERYONE THEY HAVE A FAVOR INSIDE THE CUP CAKE. THEY SHOULD REMOVE THE BABY BEFORE EATING THE CUPCAKE!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008 01:08:18 PM by koalascout » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008 03:48:33 PM »

I got my package from my wonderful partner hotfudge!

A zen hot pad and a woodburned wooden spoon with a lotus blossom - also very zen! I am loving these!

First Recipe - since you are OK with my time saving stuff:

ALMOST HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

Ingredients:
about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 packages chicken gravy mix
1 can cream of chicken soup (or mushroom if you prefer)
about 1 cup fresh baby carrots cut in slivers by quartering them lengthwise or whole carrots cut in thin slices
one large whole onion (leave it whole for taste or cut it into large pieces if you do like them but your DH doesn't, or vice versa)
about half a cup of celery, cut in thin slices
one cup sliced mushrooms (or canned if you haven't any fresh)
one tsp poultry seasoning
one tsp onion salt (or powder)
one tsp lemon pepper
one tsp garlic salt (or powder)
one TBS parsley (ground) or a handful of fresh
either one package of purchased wide egg noodles or make noodles from scratch or use dumplings made from scratch as an alternative to noodles

Mix the gravy mix and the cream soup in a stock pot with about 3 cups of water. Add the vegetables and seasonings and start the pot cooking at a low temperature.

cut the chicken breast into chunks that are the right size for a bite - too large and it isn't soup, too small and they fall apart! Add this to the vegetable mix and turn the heat up to medium. Let this cook until the vegetables are done to suit you - they usually take longer than the chicken unless you like them REALLY crispy or cut them really thin. Give it about an hour, stirring regularly - though I tend to let it simmer longer just because I like to get the prep out of the way in the AM when I am not so busy. You might need to add a bit of water, but wait and see how much juice the ingredients release before you do.

If you are using store bought noodles, boil them in a seperate pan until the edges are white. Drain and add to the soup stock mixture and let them soak in the gravy for about 10 minutes or so for flavor. Throw a few dinner rolls in the microwave to warm, and serve.

If you prefer to make your own noodles, I will find Mom's recipe and add it to this.

If you prefer to do dumplings - I actually usually use the recipe on Jiffy mix for the dumplings (quick and easy, remember!) but you have to add 3 more cups of water to the pot and bring it to a boil to add the dumplings or they are just a mess of goopy dough on top. Add the dumplings one at a time with a spoon. Make sure to spoon hot juicy fluid from the pot over the top of each dumpling as you add it so they will cook all the way through - and stir frequently so the bottom doesn't stick.

Prep time depends on how much you add to the pot - generally geting it started is usually about 30 minutes and you can put it into a crock pot instead of cooking it on the stove top as long as you wait to add the noodles until you are almost ready to serve. Cooking the noodles and adding them in takes about 10 minutes once the water boils - so 40 minute prep time for the quicky version.

If you go with the homemade noodles or dumplings about 30 minutes more.

---------
HOMEMADE NOODLES

Ingredients:
3 eggs
3 T cream or 3 T soft butter
1 t salt
1 1/2 C flour

sift flour & salt, cut in butter. Beat eggs in another bowl. Cut into flour mix. Roll out with rolling pin on floured surface and Cut into strips. Add into lightly boiling soup.

---------
HOMEMADE DUMPLINGS

Ingredients:
1 C water
1/2 C butter and/or lard
1 C flour
salt
2 beaten eggs (5 for creamier puffs)

Boil water and shortening in pan. Add flour and salt. Stir until smooth and add eggs, stirring constantly - one at a time for puffs. Drop by spoonful into lightly boiling soup or onto a pan. If using pan method, bake at 350 degrees for approx 30 min. (I have never made the puffs - so don't know about those)

----------------------------
WACKY/BLACKY CAKE

Ingredients:
3 C flour
2 C sugar
6 T cocoa, rounded
2 t baking soda, rounded
1 t salt

2 T vinegar
2 t vanilla
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 C cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together in a 9 X 13 cake pan. Add the liquid ingredients and mix well, might seem a bit runny but that is fine. Bake for 35 minutes. This cake is very moist, and I think it is vegan friendly.  Wink

----------------------------
ABELSKIVER

4 eggs
2 C buttermilk or soured milk
2 C flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 T sugar

(make soured milk by adding 1 T vinegar to each cup of milk before adding to other ingredients)

"Beat eggs, add milk, add dry ingredients. Make in a hot abelskever pan/skillet."

This would be the really cute cast iron pan that has been on TV lately with a bunch of round holes in it that they are using to make giant donut hole looking fried pancakes. Those giant donut hole looking things are abelskiver!

"Make" them by pouring in a small ladle of batter into each part of the pan, and when the edges are looking crispy, flip them over with a toothpick until the other side looks crispy - then flip them out of the pan with the toothpick onto a plate. Making these is more fun than eating them, and they taste great no matter how you make them!

link to wikipedia for pic of pan - they are Danish, but the apple part is not so much true as far as I know - you don't have to put anything in them and they are great:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86bleskiver

another link:
http://www.solvangrestaurant.com/aebleskiver.html

I don't know so much about all the rest of it, but this is my Danish Great-Grandma's recipe. She came here from Denmark and traveled with her husband and kids on a wagon train to the midwest - and did not lose her abelskiver pan from home. I like them best with powdered sugar so I can eat them with my fingers, LOL! Easter tradition when we were kids!

---------
hope you all enjoy these - couldn't find that pie recipe, my DD rifled through everything and snitched some recipe cards so don't know what became of it...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008 06:24:15 AM by RondaS » THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
krazy4katz
A Needle In A HAystack

Old....but not dead yet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008 04:45:41 PM »

.. Reserved for Krazy4kats...

... A Teaser...My fav cornbread recipe..

1 box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
1 egg
1/3 cup of milk

..stir... greased 8X8 pan..425 oven... life doesn't get any better... Cheesy Cheesy

..Just kidding... 3 recipes to come....

Easy Quick Peanut Butter Cookies..
( the ones I made when the boys told me at 10:00 at night they needed cookies for something the next day)

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and mix ingredients ( yep, no flour)..you can substitute splenda for sugar also..

roll into  walnut size balls and roll into granulated sugar..place on cookie sheet and press down with a fork... bake for 10-12 minutes until golden..remove to wrack... you can place a hersey kiss in the middle for extra yumminess

Chicken nachos

4 chicken breast cooked and shredded
2 cups salsa
16oz sour cream..

Mix together and place over tortilla chips on a baking sheet..you can use store bought or make your own tortilla chips by taking 9 inch tortillas and cutting them in 8ths then either deep fry and sprinkle with salt or layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees until crisp after sprinkling with salt... the homemade ones give you a TON for the money)

after the chicken/sour cream/salsa is spread on the chips... top with sliced green onions and shredded cheese and bake at 375 until cheese is melted and the chicken mixture warmed through.. usually 15-20 minutes

Enjoy!

Buckeyes

2 sticks butter
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 lb(16oz) confectioners sugar...

Mix together and then roll into walnut sized balls... place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and set in the fridge over night or at least 6 hours... melt chocolate chips int eh microwave ( 30 second intervals) and dip the tops of the candy into the chocolate coating about half of the ball... these things are AWESOME!!  We make about 600 each Christmas as a family and pass out to friends.. we package them in Chinese take out boxes..

I recieved the most wonderful package from Daniethanas...just the thing to brighten my day!!!  I'm enclosing an "action" shot... isn't that kitty face the sweetest???  Thank you so much for my wonderful package!!! I hope you have yours, the DC says delivered and I would hate for your pressie to be in the wrong hands!! 

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008 08:04:50 AM by krazy4katz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Songs4Drowning
lost soul livin' in a fish bowl

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008 06:28:22 PM »

KimsCozyKitchen sent me awesome sugar skull stuff for my new kitchen! I am in love with this fabric. So totally awesome.

Potholders

Kitchen towel in it's designated place:

Nacho Casserole (AWESOME for a gaming session. With a decent sized cass. dish, it'll feed at least 5 people. If I know a guest is a picky eater, I ALWAYS make this. It has never failed.)

Need:
1 bag tortilla chips.
1 can condensed mushroom soup (think Campbells)
1 lb ground hamburger (I've made it with 2 lbs before for someone who wanted it really meaty, and it was good too.)
Shredded cheese. I usually use half a block, or 1 bag preshredded. You can use as much as you want. Cheesiness is awesome.
Toppers - Totally optional - I usually dice up some tomatoes, sautee onions, green peppers and mushrooms together, make guacamole and set out some sour cream and salsa buffet style for people to toss onto their casserole when they go to eat it. It really makes it more like nachos. I usually set aside an avacado and eat it with salt while I wait for the hamburger to brown. Yum!

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, in a skillet, start the hamburger meat browning.
   2. In a saucepan, heat up the mushroom soup. Instead of adding a full can of water as the directions likely say, only add half a can. You want it a little thick. In a smaller skillet start to heat the onions, pepper and mushrooms if you want to have those as part of the toppers.
   3. In the casserole dish, layer tortilla chips, 1/3 of the cheese. When the mushroom soup is heated up, put a thin layer of it over the chips and cheese then set back on the oven to keep warm.
   4. When the hamburger meat is done, layer a little more than half on top of the other stuff in the casserole dish.
   5. Repeat layers as so:chips, just enough to cover the layers you've just done, the rest of the meat, a thin layer of the mushroom soup (it's ok if you have some left over) and the rest of the cheese.
   6. Put the casserole dish in the oven, should be warm enough by now. Keep an eye on it, and when the cheese is all melted and gooey, it's done. You can top it how you wish, but it's awesome alone too.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _

Beef potstickers w/ sweet and sour sauce (It take a while to make, and it's not nearly authentic asian, but a very Americanized version. Start at least an hour and a half before you plan on eating. It's fun to make with friends, and getting people to help will make it go by much faster.)

Need for Potstickers:
Wanton skins - You don't necessarily have to go to an asian market to get them. I find them pretty easily at Wal-Mart, usually by the organic food section in produce.
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
3 saltine crackers
Worcestershire Sauce
ketchup
Grey Poupon - Optional, I only add this in when I'm feeling like having a little spice
canned chicken broth - I usually load up, because not only are they usually like 50 cents a can, if I make rice with this dish, I boil the rice in chicken broth instead of water, and add butter after it's cooked to make it really flavorful and yummy. Just for the potstickers, you might need as many as 4 cans. Also, sometimes I like to put some shredded cheese into the potsticker mix, but it's optional.

Need for sweet and sour sauce:
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water

Directions:

1. On this one, totally wash your hands. Get a big bowl, and dump the hamburger meat and eggs in it. Crush up the crackers and add them. Slop a bunch of W. sauce and a little bit of soy sauce in it. You want the meat to be wet, and flavorful, but not floating in sauce, so use your best judgement. Add a little bit of ketchup. You're basically making meatloaf at this point. The grey poupon if you want it in there, some shredded cheese if you want, and use your hands to mix everything together. Knead it like dough, don't be afraid of getting your hands gross.
   2. Get the soap and wash the gunk off your hands and out from under your fingernails.
   3. Okay, get a small glass of water and a few plates. A small plate for working wtih the wantons, a big plate to put the finished ones on. You also want a bunch of paper towels.
   4. On the small plate, place a wanton skin, take a teaspoon and put a dollop of the meat mixture. Take your finger, dip it in water, and wet 2 side edges of the skin, in a 90 degree or ^ shape, get it? Now, fold over the two dry sides onto them. The wanton skins come coated lightly in flour, so the wet sides will use the flour to make an edible glue and stick the whole thng together. You'll have something that looks like a triangle. Wet the two points on either side, fold them to the other side. Wet that top point and fold it down. You've got meat wrapped in the skin. Set it aside on the plate.
   5. You're going to want to keep moist paper towels, and with each layer of wantons, top with a sheet of wet paper towel. It'll keep the wantons from drying out while you're working, which makes for crunchy wanton edges, which isn't what we want on this recipe. Keep making those potstickers until you run out of wanton skins or meat mix. Depending on how many skins you have or how thick you pack the wanton skins (you don't want it so thick you can't close them), you'll end up making 50 - 80 of the little suckers. See why I say it helps to have someone making them with you?
   6. In the middle of stuffing the wanton skins, you're going to want to take a break. When you do, start the sweet and sour sauce. Combine the juice, vinegar, brown sugar and ketchup in a saucepan, and bring it to a simmer. When you mix the cornstarch with water, you're going to want to stir it really good, and it'll need stirring again if you made it earlier before starting this whole shebang to disolve everything again. Add the cornstarch solution to the rest of the stuff in the pot after it starts simmering. Stir it. You'll want to stir it while it cooks, but once it's been cooking for about ten minutes, put it on a back burner on low heat to keep it warm.
   7. Crack open a couple of cans of chicken broth. If you're making rice with this, now's a good time to start it, because you're about to get kind of busy. Heat a pan up on one of the front burners. Make sure you have a lid for it, or a plate big enough to use as a lid. Make sure the skillet gets HOTHOTHOT! The best way to tell if it's ready is to get your fingers wet and fling the water onto the pan. If it slides across and sizzles up, it's ready. Don't use a nice, brand new pot. It could get ruined. If you need a new pot, you can find a pot with a lid for like 2 bucks at Wal-Mart. Cheap enough that if you fuck something up, it won't be a huge ruin of your cookware.
   8. Drop potstickers into the pot. Make sure they aren't touching, about an inch apart. Depending on how big the pot is, you can fit 5-10 of the little suckers on there. Count the seconds or watch the clock; let them sit there and cook WITHOUT YOU TOUCHING THEM for a minute and a half. It's hard. You'll thnk you're burning them, but it's okay. Don't touch.
   9. After the minute and a half, dump some chicken broth on them, just enough so they're sitting it and toss on the lid to the pan. Watch the clock or count seconds again. Don't remove the top for anything for another two full minutes. The agony of smelling yummy food and wondering if it's burning is less awful than undercooked meat.
  10. Remove the lid. The potstickers will look like little wrinkled testicles. I bet that's an appetizing thought, eh? Drain what broth is left, transfer the potstickers to a clean plate. Keep the plate in the microwave or oven to help keep them warm. Use a rag to wipe the moister from your pot, put it back on the burner. Wait until it's hot enough again; it should take long. Repeat the drop and wait process.
  11. When you're waiting for the pan to get hot enough to do the last batch of potstickers, that's when you're going to want to take the sweet and sour sauce off the hot burner (it shouldn't have been hot enough to be simmering anyway) and let it stand aside to cool a little. It'll thicken up while it cools, but it'll probably still be thinner than the sweet and sour sauce you get at a chinese restaurant. It's all good, man. You just made sweet and sour sauce from scratch.
  12. When that last batch is done, dinner is ready to be served. I usually put down rice on the plate, heap on potstickers to the rice and drizzle with the sauce, and a little bit of soy sauce too. A good side dish, if you're cooking dinner for someone important/special and you want it to be a full meal is some stir fried vegetables.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _______

Greek Style Chicken (My roomie bought a "skillet meal" from Wal-Mart (It was the Wal-Mart brand Sam's Choice) called something along the lines of Greek Style Chicken. It was absolutely delicious, and with a little bit of debate while we were eating, we came up with our own recipe for the same dish that tastes pretty comparable.)

Ingredients:

1. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
2. Mediterranean Style Italian Dressing
3. 1 Lemon
4. 2 ripe tomatoes
5. Olives, rinsed and cut up
6. Salt and Pepper to Taste
7. Crumbled Feta cheese
8. Bell peppers
9. Mushrooms
10. Yellow onion

Directions:

1. In a skillet, heat some oil, about three tablespoons is fine. Just eyeball it.
2. Chop up thawed chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Place them in a bowl and cover with dressing to marinate while the oil is heating. Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the marinade as well.
3. Chop up 1 bell pepper, mushrooms and onion (as much as you want and anything can be left out of these three ingredients).
4. When the oil is hot, toss the onion, pepper and mushroom in and saute until onion is tender and slightly transparent. Mushrooms and peppers should be hot and your kitchen should smell really yummy!
5. Remove the sauteed vegetables onto a plate and put aside, toss in the marinated chicken and enough "sauce" that it was marinated in to have the chicken chunks sitting in liquid, but not by more than half, or covered in it.
6. Chop the tomatoes up.
7. It should take about ten minutes for the chicken to cook through, when the biggest pieces are pierced and no longer pink inside. Most of the liquid should have cooked down by now, but if there's still a lot, drain the chicken. You want a little bit of the sauce, but not much.
8. Toss in the tomatoes, olives and sauteed vegetables, and sit around on the heat a couple of minutes to bring the vegetables back up to heat. Remove from the burner, turn your oven off.
9. Top in the pan with as much crumbled feta cheese as your heart desires, and serve.

We stuffed this into pita bread pouches to eat it and it was SO yummy!

___________________ __________________

Kingston Chicken (I got this from a friend who is very vague about recipes. Each time I make it it tastes just a little different, but it's always good.)

Ingredients:
Boneless, skinless chicken
Jasmine rice
Mai Tai cocktail mix
Southwest or Cajun spices (Emeril's SW spices are really good)
Worcestershire sauce
1lemon and 1 lime
Minced garlic and black pepper to preference.

Get a big ziplock bag and drop in chicken, mai tai mix, pepper, lemon juice, and spices. Seal and refridgerate it for a few hours. Start your rice and dump the chicken onto a skillet on medium heat with some of the marinade. Add 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, flip the chicken as sauce comes to a boil. Add your garlic and more seasonings to taste, and squeeze half the lime juice over it. Cook the chicken until it's well done, and serve over rice.

___________________ ___________________ _____________

Bacon, Cheese and Tomato Crescents (awesome for breakfast)

1 can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls.
4 oz softened cream cheese
1/4 c finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 c finely chopped red peppers (optional, my bf doesn't like these in here)
4 slices bacon, cooked, drained and chopped (I usually add more. =D)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, separate dough into 8 triangles, spread with cream cheese. Top evenly with remaining ingredients and roll up onto baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes and serve warm.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008 03:02:34 PM by Songs4Drowning » THIS ROCKS   Logged

perlabella

"It is what it is."

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008 07:12:19 AM »

Oooo! Here's my awesome vintage style apron!!! I LOVE IT!! (i take forever to post, I know...but i love it!!)

and the necessary action shot, unfortunately not in the kitchen (scared to get it dirty)....dont mind the dorky look on my face Tongue

Thanks aml!!!!! You rock!!!!!!!!! Smiley

Recipe #1: Red Velvet cupcakes [Food Network]

Prep Time:  30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons red gel paste food coloring (see Cook's note)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Red, pink and white miniature nonpareils, for sprinkling

Meringue Icing:
5 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
Pinch fine salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 to 3 drops pure almond extract

Equipment: Standard 12 (1/2 cup) muffin tin

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the muffin tin with pink or white cupcake liners

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Occasionally turn off mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Reduce the speed to low, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix until incorporated after each addition. Add the food coloring and vanilla and mix well.

With the mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture and sour cream in 3 additions, beginning and ending with the flour, waiting until each addition is well incorporated before adding the next. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and soda, and once fizzing has stopped, add to the batter and mix well.

Divide the batter evenly in the tin, filling each liner about 3/4 full. Bake until cupcakes are set and spring back when touched, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

For meringue icing: Bring a few inches of water to a gentle simmer in a saucepan large enough to hold a standing mixer bowl above the water. Whisk the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt together in the bowl until combined. Set the bowl over the simmering water and whisk constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is smooth and hot to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat at medium-high speed until meringue is cool and holds a soft peak, 4 to 5 minutes. With the speed on low, add the vanilla and almond extracts; increase speed to medium and continue whisking until mixture is glossy and holds a stiff peak, 1 to 2 minutes more.

To decorate: Using a spoon or offset spatula, spread about 1/2 cup meringue over each cupcake and sprinkle with nonpareils. Cupcakes are best served the day they are made.

Cook's Note: If you're unable to find gel food coloring, add drops of liquid food coloring until the desired shade of red is achieved.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe #2: Grilled vegetables (so simple but so great!)

Yield: 4 servings as side dish

2 med zucchini
1 med-large Italian eggplant
1 pkg baby portobello mushrooms or 1 pkg of large portobello mushroom caps
1 large sweet onion
1 red bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil

Use mandolin for zucchini and eggplant if you have. For zucchini, cut lengthwise and then cut each in half. Holding each piece up right, cut each piece into roughly 1/2" thick slices. Repeat with eggplant. Leave mushrooms whole. For onion, cut lengthwise through the middle of the onion, avoiding the roots. Cut onion with rings intact. For bell peppers, cut into matchsticks.

With the grill on medium heat, place a grilling sheet over the fire so your vegetables don't fall through. Before placing vegetables on the sheet, brush with oil first, placing oiled side down on the sheet. Let all vegetables cook for 5 minutes, brushing again with oil. Turn over and allow to cook until done. With zucchini and eggplants, you will be able to visually see whether they are done or not. The flesh of the vegetable will start to turn from white to a darker grill color. The mushrooms will start to darken. The onions and peppers will show grill marks. Serve either separated on the dish for presentation or serve mixed together for ease.

Recipe #3: Pasta with Oil, Garlic and Basil

Yield: 2 servings

8 oz penne pasta, dried (or you can use pasta left over, my favorite)
2 cloves garlic, sliced
5-6 leaves of fresh basil
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta to package directions; drain and set aside. Cut basil into chiffonade; set aside. Coat the bottom of a saute pan with olive oil and add garlic; heat to medium but do not burn the garlic. Toss cooked pasta in saute pan. Season with salt and pepper. Allow oil to cook through the pasta for 2-3 more minutes, tossing with spoon or tongs frequently to avoid burning. Pour pasta onto serving dish and sprinkle basil chiffonade on top.

Pictures to come!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008 03:09:37 PM by perlabella » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie a Slip Knot
How to Hold a Crochet Hook
How to Join a New Ball of Yarn or Color
How to Find Good Crochet Patterns
Crochet for Beginners: How to Fasten Off
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...