A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bedsheet into Grocery Totes (also... PRODUCE BAGS!) -- lots of pics  (Read 1032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: July 16, 2008 05:42:55 PM »

Hello again.  Grin

Just thought I'd pop in with photos of my sewing from today. I'm participating in a "green" swap on another message forum and decided to send my swapee re-usable grocery totes along with a few other things. Being as our "budget" is only $15, I had to think creatively. Luckily, our base has an Airman's Attic (like Goodwill but everything's free) and I went rummaging for suitable material. I lucked upon a king-sized bedsheet among some other things for later projects. Following the FABULOUS tutorial by queenofdiy I managed to create four bags from one king-sized bedsheet. I could possibly manage a fifth if I didn't mind the white piping to show.

I didn't bother with the pocket and instead just folded them into themselves.

My husband commented, "doesn't look like it'll hold much" when I was showing off my handiwork so I stuffed some groceries in. I managed to fit a box of cereal, pancake mix, rice, some potato chips, oatmeal cookie mix, a bottle of wine, a "bear" of honey, and a large jar of peanut butter in there all at once and still have room for a few more bags of gravy mix if I so chose. Here's an "action shot":

They're so cute all folded up together.  Cheesy

But here's my favorite part... the produce bags! I figured what's the point of having the re-usable grocery totes if those darned plastic produce bags found their way home along with them? I searched for some tutorials on the net that included tulle in their instructions but figured that would be too flimsy and could tear too easily. I instead pulled some fabric from my stash that was originally meant to be curtains. It has holes in it like tulle but is a stronger fabric and woven more closely together like linen. Combined with some DARLING ribbon, a drawstring and pull, and a square cut from a page protector, I made a pair of produce bags.

I'll admit they could be better made... I should've measured and pinned more. The little plastic "patch" is crooked and next time I'll do up the seams more neatly.

My favorite part is the ribbon. I was originally going to find coordinating ribbon like red for apples, green for veggies, yellow for bananas, etc etc. Instead I came across this lovely wire-edged ribbon (pretty flimsy wire though so still perfect for my usage here) with pictures of various fruits on them. They were too darling to pass up. I added it to the seam to add a bit more stability and color.

I'm planning on a few more for myself of course and I picked up loads of this fabric at the store yesterday for about $15 actually...  Cheesy.

Can't wait to see how they turn out.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hearts Need A Beat
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008 06:07:45 PM »

Awesome! These are really cool. I've never seen produce bags before. Great job! =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention college kids, stay at home moms, and anyone else who could stand to make a little easy extra money:
PM me about ChaCha. I swear, it's not an ad. I just saved myself on bills with this, and thought I'd try & help =]

Obama/Biden 2008!
megarobertson
I make it Rain dear!

Jennifer Perkins is my Hero!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008 06:24:17 PM »

I was trying to figure out an alternative for the produce. good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everyone's a photographer.
My Wist:http://wists.com/megarobertson
SkyyAngel
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008 06:32:22 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention what the "patch" was for. At our grocery store and a lot of others I've been to back home,the produce section now has these little machines you take your produce to weigh, enter in the produce code (posted next to the prices -- and they also have pictures on the buttons) and it prints out a barcode sticker for the cashier to scan at the register. The plastic patch is to stick the sticker on. Smiley I was originally going to use some clear vinyl but couldn't find it in my stash (it's hiding... ) so went with an old page protector I was going to throw out. It worked well I think... if only I had cut it straight...lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008 09:54:18 PM »

What a GREAT idea! I love the little patch & now that I know it's use it's even cooler! I thought it was to write the type of veggie & I was thinking, could you see through the bag! But now it makes sense!

And I am wondering ... how'd you get MY groceries in your bag?!?  Cheesy Seriously, it looks exactly like what I came home with today! Along with many other things of course!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phnxreign99
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008 08:29:10 AM »

Those are perfect for their purpose ... I really need to make some grocery totes!  Love the produce bag - very "green"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got this piece of shrinky dink ... had it for 25 years now.  It's moved to five states and one European country ... and I just know, someday ... SOMEDAY ... I WILL use it!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Creating a Solid Background
Adobe Production Studio - Explaining Title Safe and Action Safe Guides
Adobe Production Studio - Using an Element from a 4:3 Comp in a 16:9 Comp
Adobe Production Studio - Setting Up a New Composition
Adobe Production Studio - Lower Thirds
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...