A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 92
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 07/16/08 - New ads being shown on Craftster  (Read 69680 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2008 09:55:34 AM »

PS - I love colourlovers.com.  I always plan out my interior decorating palettes on there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
La Maestra

Supreme High Commander of the Asgard fleet

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2008 10:17:16 AM »

I'd like to request that when we click on the ads, they appear in a second window. I clicked on the Color Lovers one and it took me directly to the website. Annoyed me enough that I clicked right back to Craftster without even seeing what the website was about.   Tongue

I did just double-check by clicking on a random ad (I think it was for credit cards) and that popped up into a new window - maybe it was just the Color Lovers one.

Firefox preferences lets me set pages to either open in the same window, a new window or a new tab when I click on them.  Maybe you have that option with your browser?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wackyjacks rule!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2008 10:19:05 AM »

I'd like to request that when we click on the ads, they appear in a second window. I clicked on the Color Lovers one and it took me directly to the website. Annoyed me enough that I clicked right back to Craftster without even seeing what the website was about.   Tongue

I did just double-check by clicking on a random ad (I think it was for credit cards) and that popped up into a new window - maybe it was just the Color Lovers one.

Firefox preferences lets me set pages to either open in the same window, a new window or a new tab when I click on them.  Maybe you have that option with your browser?

I think IE allows that as well.  The only things is, I wouldn't want to set ALL of my links to open in new windows.  I just like ads to open in new windows so I can remain on Craftster in my original window.

For now, I just right-click and select "Open in New Window," which is all right. Smiley

...I hope that makes sense. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ma Rut
A Made-In-The-South Original

Swap Addict, officially.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2008 11:33:21 PM »

More odd ones...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2008 06:22:42 AM »

PS - I love colourlovers.com.  I always plan out my interior decorating palettes on there.

i think it's used a lot by designers, too, especially digital ones.  Me, i was thinking about making printable wallpapers for dollhouse.  maybe linoleum, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2008 07:55:29 AM »

I think it would be neat for FOC's to get a small feature spot at a reasonable ad price for their etsy/web stores.  Maybe in one area of the board where we would always be able to find it.
I love this idea. Right now I couldn't afford much, though I was thinking about those rotating 1.00 adds we used to have. But I have nearly tried a few times when one of my other forums was having a sale on their add space.
They were doing a "birthday" sale and since it was the forums birthday, if you were a member you got your add space for like 5.00 for the whole month. It was a rotating add with other members so yours didn't show up every page but I thought it was a cool idea. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samisadork

BARACK OBAMA '08

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2008 11:01:43 PM »

I have to say, I completely agree with the others that say they are overlooking the good ads now! When I first saw this annoying ad:

I came searching for this thread. So many websites are bombarded with these scam-ish, soul devouring, insecurity feeding excuses for ads it puts people in 'Computer-protect' mode as soon as they see a flashy ad. Its understandable that craftsters are afraid to click on things now, because you can't be sure its not going to take you to one of those utterly annoying sites that when you try to close it, pops up in a new window and asks you if you were sure you wanted to close it!

Before these new ads popped up, Craftster was the ad safe haven, where you knew you could click on an ad and not get attacked with CLICK HERE TO RECIEVE YOUR NEW NINTENDO WII ABSOLUTELY FREE**
In fact, I used to spend time actually perusing the websites advertised on Craftster. Now, I just ignore all of them, even though I know some of them are very worthwhile!

Here is a suggestion: Figure up the average daily pageviews for FOCs, then how much ad revenue that would generate in one year. Make a FoC subscription level at that cost, and let those people turn off the ads! This should be pretty easy (if your a techy type) to do. This would add value to the FoC membership, and probably cause a decent influx of new subscriptions, and reduce the need for such intrusive ads.

I'm not trying to sound whiny or ungrateful about this wonderous community. I just feel like the one and only place on the intrawebs that I could click away and find cool new places has been taken away. Even with that said, I do really enjoy this community, and the work you all put into it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

b16aGirl
If you see me wandering the streets staring at the sky, remind me that clouds aren't quilted.

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2008 10:25:05 AM »

OK, I tried to take screen shots, but I am about as much of a technophile as my grandmother. Today I saw ads for www.chnlove.com which appeared to be an Asian dating site and www.sweetim.com which had annoying smiley faces.

It does make me really sad to see all the big, un-crafty ads and my response has been to just avoid Craftster. There is a huge wealth of bookmarks I have gleaned from the boards here and rather than come here and be faced with slow loading pages and obnoxious ads, I open my bookmarks and just go to those pages for inspiration/support.

Over the next few months I will keep my eye on Craftster and if it looks like there is progress being made towards getting crafty businesses buying the previously unsold ad space, I will happily join back in the fun and finally become and FOC. If it still all looks like Toyota, Microsoft, and dating sites, I'll just move on.

Thank you to everyone who helps keep this community together and running through this change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2008 10:27:13 AM »

Thank you to everyone who helps keep this community together and running through this change.

Thanks for taking the time to express your thoughts on the ads and thanks for the thanks, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ma Rut
A Made-In-The-South Original

Swap Addict, officially.

« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2008 10:45:01 AM »

Got this one today:

I've also been getting an obscene amount of Hummer ads, which I feel is highly inappropriate for a website that is actively involved in environmentally-friendly efforts like 350.org, has an entire forum dedicated to recycled/reused projects and almost always has an eco-related swap going on. I think this is a an example of where we craftsters feel like NameMedia doesn't really "get us" (or care to) as an audience Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 92 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CounterSpy - Now Playing
Next Car Game - Random Encounter
Road to Game Of The Year 2014
Epigenesis - Release Date Trailer
MotoGP14 - NGM Team Riders Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...