A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-imagining Alice in Wonderland ~ FINALLY got the professional shots!! 01-07-09  (Read 60682 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sinamint
Sweet... yet bahd! Oooh yeah!

A treat to tempt you!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2008 08:20:55 PM »

Complete and utter WOW!  Shocked You've really pulled off an amazing group of pieces.

I would love to hear more on the process for each of the pieces. Your models are absolutely fantastic, I love your work with the feathers and the cyberfalls are fab!

Looking forward to seeing the photoshoot picts!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Little Miss HorrorWood

Love Metal,DIY,Sewing,Horror + Rockabilly

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2008 08:28:18 PM »

Stunning! High Fives Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GooseGoose

theadventurebeginsblog.com

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2008 08:46:49 PM »

Shocked homg! you are beyond talented! i luuuurve the queen of hearts corset!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kyndmama
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2008 08:57:27 PM »

O  M   F   G   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You Rock lady!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2008 09:03:03 PM »

I am in love!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonderful job!!!!

I think the Jabberwocky is my favorite.  I have a thing for huge feathered pieces.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
great_heights

world enough and time

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2008 10:14:52 PM »

AMAZING
the jabberwocky is my absolute favorite and i just love how creative you were with all the characters
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetbettieleigh

on hiatus from crafting until further notice.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008 10:29:10 PM »

I would love to hear more on the process for each of the pieces. Your models are absolutely fantastic, I love your work with the feathers and the cyberfalls are fab!

Hi Sinamint!

I knew that I wanted to start with the theme of Alice in Wonderland. It's always been a favorite story of mine, and I wanted to give it a twist. The original intent was to use the models in a runway show, but then it was announced that Spamalot was closing July 13 and my timetable went from 3 months to 6 weeks.

I wanted to have 21 finished garments and ended up with 18. (Had to cut due to needing sleep.) I am fortunate to have had amazing support in the form of wonderful friends and a boss who was INCREDIBLY understanding.

Every model really inspired their outfits. Some pieces I love more than others, and I think y'all can definitely tell where I got bored with it.

The heart corset was a labor of love. It was a piece I'd started a few months ago and would sew a few buttons here and there. I see a lot of rhinestones and sequins in my daily life and thought mayyyyyybe I could do something similar with buttons. Buttons are cheap, and CUTE and don't only have to be used to fasten clothing.

I took the idea of using nonconventional materials a step further on the Jabberwocky costume. The hat is made of a buckram skullcap, the mohawk base is a cut styrofoam piece to keep it lightweight, and after covering everything with fabric, the detail came from feathers, hair weave, a few rhinetsones, aaaaaaand SILICONE CAULK. There's more of it on the collar, but it gives an amazing textural look when it dries and helped me to seal things off.

my mad hatter called out 3 days before the shoot, and no one else fit into his costume, so I promoted my March Hare into Mad Hatter position. Ugh, details.

there was a LOT of appliqueing spandex (my favorite sewing thing to do) and lots of ruffles on petticoats. The Card of the Court who has the black and red cyber falls is wearing a skirt with layers of ruffles underneath, kind of like a can can skirt. there's also butt ruffles on her leotard, but they aren't seen in any of these pictures. Point is, I thought of every angle based on who would be modeling. Some are more likely to be a bit more.... outgoing? shall we say.

The cyber falls are cyberlox on elastic: blue set is very plain and simple. black white and red set was much more complex with tubing and foam and rexlace so I mounted it on a head band, and dyed another hair weave to make bangs for underneath.

Hope I was able to answer some curiosities! Let me know if you would like more about anything!

Thanks so much for your kind words! It's encouraging to me to hear things like this, and makes me want to make my next project even better!

Smiley

Jenny Leigh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kid_cosette

I can make mind control mexican dip....

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008 10:38:08 PM »

THIS IS FAN-DAMN-TASTIC. All of the costumes are ornate, fascinating and very original. I love the cyberlocks! My favorite are the cards, jabberwocky and the cheshire cat (the knave of hearts was cute too!).

I started a series of costume designs based on AIW, but I never finished them, now you give me inspiration! Mind if I borrow ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katie Vickmark
jackitsu
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008 10:40:53 PM »

These are absolutely beautiful, creative and sexy. <3 <3 <3  I love it!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DangitJess
denimology.com

denimology.com

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2008 11:26:43 PM »

WOW!! You know you did GREAT! FAN-freeeeeeakin'-TASTIC!!! YOU FRICKIN'ROCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

denimology.com

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.

You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread your machine while it's running!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 2
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 1
David A. Kessler Talks About The End of Overeating
ReShonda Tate Billingsley Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Suzy Welch Reveals Who She Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...