A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,982
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i *need* a rocket ship cake  (Read 4636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2008 02:26:11 PM »

my dh is like  mr cake man, he bakes wonderfull delicious cakes so naturaly i want him to bake our sons first birthday cake.

he wants a rocket shaped cake pan, but we cant seem to find one. wilton used to make one and i think you can find them on ebay but its more than we want to pay for it, and it looks like something from star wars.( i also think it looks like a penis )  we want one that looks more like our invitations (which my husband also made)

its got a more retro look to it i think. 

anyone got any ideas, creative uses of other bakewear we could use, or anything like that.  i tryed searching  "rocket " within this board but didnt come up with much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 02:33:31 PM »

Well... Depending on what size cake pans you use...

You could make a rectangular cake for the body, bake a circle cake and cut it in half. That would give you the 'cone'. Then you could cut the other half in half to give you the 'fins'.

Don't see why that wouldn't work. Smiley I'll let you know if I can come up with anything else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008 02:34:55 PM »

The shape on the invite is pretty simple - seems like you have several ways to go.

For a "flat" version, you could just make a sheet cake (or two) and cut out the shapes you need. 

This airplane pan could be easily adapted to that shape if you cut off the wings. 
http://www.girlsflytoo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=509

If you wanted to go crazy and have it be completely 3-dimensional (like standing up).  You could use a football shaped pan and make supports/fins out of pieces cut from another sheet.

Oh heck - I just did a quick search and found this:  http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/unique_cakes.html

(If you haven't sent the invites yet, you might want to fix "your" to "you're")
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008 02:45:09 PM by KarenLouiseM » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
ProngsBaby
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008 02:43:00 PM »

Actually all you really need is a standard round cake. cut the cake like a cat's eye's iris...like an oval but with the tips pointy. take the leftovers and cut them in half so you get a dorsal fin type shape...then put them next to the pointy-oval/cat iris shaped part and  frost over it..did that make sense?

omg...I'm really sorry, I'm freakish about these things, but it would be "You're Invited" ...not your...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She's like a millionaire, walking on imported air- Blondie

Check out "The Empty Pocket Blog" !
www.emptypocketblog.blogspot.com
Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 02:52:04 PM »

haha, yea.... my husband, for all the amazing wonderful creatiive things he can do, great cakes he can bake, and insanely cool graphics he can design, he cannot spell. 

im suprized this slipped past me, well actualy im not... im in a haze of low budget party planning which means a frenzy of dollar store trips and thrift shop finds, so this went un-noticed. 

too late now ! lol.  we have already passed some  out, and no one has noticed yet. 

usually i check his stuff, last week he made a baby shower invite  that asked for "baby whips, and bath assessors"    im really glad i caught those. 

ok back to the cake, wow you guys replied fast! thanks.  im going to let him go through all the suggestions and togather i think we can come with something great.  we are making a cardboard box rocket too.  wish us luck, and thanks for the spell check ... even though its a little late lol.  ( i can't believe i missed it )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008 03:41:39 PM »

Fabulous card! I love the design and the excitement to it!
What about baking a cake in two large tin cans if you wanted to make it look like it is standing up about to launch? One can for the base and one can for the nose - just kind of carve the cylinder into a nose? You could look it up online - You probabaly would have to cook it at a different temp because of the thickness - or how about a loaf pan?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
cursive_queen
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008 04:00:49 PM »

A loaf pan would make a good shape of the body, then a small round cake to make the pointy cap and the fins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Jess
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008 09:28:49 AM »

I'm big into stand up cakes and I would actually try recycled cans for this if you want it to stand. Like the industrial pudding or fruit that school use if you can get one then a 8 cup measure/mixing bowl. I have a pampered chef one so it's rounded. I think pyrex has flat bottom that that can be fixed with a cupcake  Cheesy

Also if your husand is really creative you can make you own pans from aluminum foil but it's time consuming.

Would love to see what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008 10:41:52 AM »

well after much discussion and some argument we decided its probaly best to have someone else make our cake. 

we know a wonderfully talented lady, who made two cakes for our wedding that we are going to ask to make this cake.  she has made cakes for years on end and its her job/hobby. ( it doesnt pay the bills now, but it used before she semi retired)  so she knows what shes doing.

we just dont have the time with all the other things we are making, its the curse of the crafty.. we tend to overextend ourselves. it will be our idea and design, but her handy work in the kitchen so its a compromise i can handle.   thanks for all the great ideas, i do plan on trying this oneday when theres no great expectations of my time lol.  and if anyone is curious i will post pictures of what we finaly come up with, even if i dont make it....just for any curious kitties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Sushi Rolls
How To Prepare Korean Style Sushi
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala
Rolling Raw Spring Rolls
Ingredients for Raw Spring Rolls
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...