A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Campfire Cake  (Read 2053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenefor
« on: July 16, 2008 12:16:35 AM »

Here is a cake I made for my son's birthday.

It was fun to make but didn't turn out as well as the one I got my idea from (Heidi Kenney) But all the same my son loved it and that is all that matters right?

We made the flames by melting hard candies and swirling them together.

the cake was a dark chocolate and in the middle there was a caramel filling. You biol a can of condensed milk for 3 hrs and it becomes a caramel. Super yummy. But with the deep chocolate cake, Carmel filling and dark chocolate frosting it was a bit rich.....Good but I could only eat a little of it. Next time I think I would  pass on the filling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chiemi
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008 12:26:32 AM »

YUM!  I love how you did the flames.  So cool!  I'm totally ignorant, but I wasn't aware you could melt candy.  How is that done?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pipkin2020
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008 01:41:07 AM »

Oh cool! This reminds me of Calcifer, the fire demon from Howl's Moving Castle. *thinks* hmm, Calcifer cake, that would be gooood...  Grin

Good job you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
camelama
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008 02:19:44 AM »

Oh, I love this!  How did you do the eyes on that one flame?

Looks great.  I'm jotting this down as an idea for a pal's birthday.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving!" - Auntie Mame

How are things in Glocca Morra?
KMOM13
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008 02:50:01 AM »

The top one is very adorable.

The bottom cake is cool and sounds delicious. 

My son is really into "flames" and I can't wait to show him these cool cakes.  Thanks for sharing them with us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grendelsmom
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008 04:50:43 AM »

That cake ROCKS!  It DOES look like Calcifer!  You should be proud of yourself, it was instantly identifiable as a fire - which is no mean feat.  And if you stood guard over a pot of boiling milk for three hours, you have the patience of a saint as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008 05:59:00 AM »

Oh cool! This reminds me of Calcifer, the fire demon from Howl's Moving Castle. *thinks* hmm, Calcifer cake, that would be gooood...  Grin

Good job you

I thought it was Calcifer at first too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladyquestra

I am my intention trapped in flesh and bone.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008 07:08:38 AM »

I think your cake looks great.  I would love to know how you made the caramel, was it just condensed milk?  If you could let me know that would be awesome, my boyfriend LOVES caramel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and do what you want, because those who matter don't care and those who care don't matter.
~Dr. Suess
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008 09:13:30 AM »

Good job you

I thought it was Calcifer at first too

Me three!!!  That's so awesome.  And what kind of hard candy did you use?  Sounds yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
jenefor
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008 11:49:00 AM »

OK where do I start?
Thanks for all the compliments first off.

*candy flame*
you can melt hard candies by just lining a cookie sheet with foil and then you can break them up (ziplock and a hammer) or just toss them down. I used  butterscotch and cinnamon candies and broke them up...next time I will just plop them down though. Anyhow just put the oven at like 300 or something and place them in....you just want to keep an eye on them. they will melt (one part of mine got kinda burnt (actually I think it was the Cinnamon oil or that) So I just got a tooth pick when it came out and was still hot to swirl it around so I didn't "loose" any of the candy. I wasn't sure how much I would need for the cake you know. I just let it cool and then when it was completely cool i pulled it off the foil and it broke into pieces. It really made a lot

*Caramel*
I just got a can of sweetened condensed milk. Take of the label and get a pot that is tall enough for the can to be sitting in the bottom and be covered with water.
So you place the can in the bottom middle of the pot and cover with water....I would say 2 inches over the top. Then you just turn it on and let it boil.....for 3 hrs (once the water starts to boil)
My can had no problems sitting on the bottom.....it would move a bit (scootch) and I would just move it back with a wooden spoon.
You don't physically have to be there watching it for 3 hrs but I would suggest being in the kitchen or close buy you know. Since you have to keep adding water to the pot when it boils away since it has to be submerged at all times.
When the 3 hrs is up just take it out or drain the water, whatever works for you then let it cool (i just let it cool over night but you can touch the can to check)
When you are done it will be kinda like a thick pudding (that is he best way I can describe it) Yummy but RICH!

*eyes*
The eyes are sugar eyes from the cake store. I just attached them by melting a a tiny bit of the flame candy and using a toothpick to put it on the eye and place it on the flame. it was a great idea hat the little old man at the cake store gave me....I was going to use frosting but I knew by the time we got to the cake his eyes would have slid down you know. It was easy but since the eyes were tiny I ended up burning my fingers a fey times (not bad but not fun)

So I hope that answers any questions out there.
Thanks again for all the kind words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
Shrimp Summer Roll Recipe
Vietnamese Pho Recipe
Pork Satay Skewers Recipe
Noodle War at Umang 2013
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...