A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,309
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: If Marie Antoinette was wearing this, they would have spared her neck!*TUTORIAL*  (Read 20021 times)
Tags for this thread: necklace , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008 09:35:34 AM »

Really impressive, Gina  Shocked Grin ...great idea and great execution.  This is also what I call "architecture" with polymer clay and that's a whole cool field for investigating all by itself, as you well know!

I'll be adding that WigJig template-measuring trick to my site pronto, as well as the lesson!  And the hand-formed double-ended loop piece is really nifty too.
(Will you be adding this lesson to your Photobucket site though??)

TURN OFF CEILING FAN (sounds like a story and I have a doozy!!)

Really chuckled when I read that! --have had a few unwelcome adventures with the #&*!# super-light flyaway stuff too.

I still have almost half of the sheet left of silver. . .  I know I say I will cut in half next time, but I end up wasting it trying to cut before using.  If anyone has any advice on cutting the foil successfully, please share!?!

If what you're asking is how to cut the sheets of leaf before applying them to the clay (or applying the clay to them), here are a few ideas from my site, plus some ways to pick the stuff up when necessary:

CUTTING metallic leaf (while not on clay)
...cut it with the *tip* or corner of a blade, on it's backing paper (may be best to cut kind of quickly)
...leave it between its papers (or between sheets of waxed or deli paper, etc.), then cut with scissors or with a rolling cutter (Olfa, etc.) --a whole stack can be cut this way ...or cut out leaf shapes with a punch (other ways to punch out leaf shapes are in Cutters-Blades > Punches)
...try a variation of what gilders do... they use a "gilding pad" with a gilders knife
......a gilding pad is a small thin board or wood block covered with a piece of chamois or heavy suede (have enough static for leaf to stick)... often placed over a sheet of cotton, wool, or polyester batting, then stapled or otherwise attached to board on back side
......a gilders knife is a long straight-blade (not necessarily very sharp) with a handle... the long straight edge of the pressed down onto the leaf on the chamois pad, then drawn back without removing it... video clip of that process: http://americanart.si.edu/lunder/toolmedia.cfm?key=29&subkey=1214

PICKING UP the (flyaway) leaf .... and also avoiding HAND OILS:
...Try not to get too much finger-oil on the leaf (which will at least cause earlier tarnishing) by using talcum powder on your fingers, applying leaf with a soft paintbrush, or picking up bits of leaf with the wet tip of an uncooked strand of spaghetti).
...I use rubber gloves anytime I am using gold leaf or composite.
.........It was suggested that the salts (which can be acidic) penetrated the clay as you handled the cut slices, so it might be a better idea to use gloves.
--- I just discovered that the static needed to pick up a piece of leafing can be created by rubbing the end of a plastic or hard rubber object (gelly pen, seam ripper, comb, etc.) on your clothing (I was wearing a 100% cotton t-shirt; silk or wool would work even quicker). Just a few rubs creates a medium static pull; more rubs and it could be too strong, creating puckers? More than one pen could be used to pick up different parts of the leaf, but one will hold it well enough to float it over the raw clay --then use a paintbrush or covered finger to press it down completely
.........cut a piece of wax paper a little larger than the piece of foil, and gently rub it over the foil... the wax paper "holds" on to the the foil leaf great and you can see through it enough to lift and position it how you need to. Daisy
.....I give it little tugs on all the edges and always make sure the foil is smooth on the clay to help it stay adhered better (and crackle more evenly before running it through the pasta machine). jjjjami
...could use some kind of suction device, like an ear syringe tooDiane B. & DH
...I have a specialized tool called a "gilder's tip so that you can pick up a piece of leaf without wrinkling..... it's basically a 3" wide flat "brush" made of squirrel or badger hair (has a lot of natural static)... it has a handle but not a long thin handle
..... Many gilders also run the brush across their face ---not to develop a static charge as some think, but to pick up the tiniest bit of oil on the tip before picking up the leaf (the oil in your skin helps make the leaf adhere to the brush)..... Because I have dry skin, I place a thin coating of Vaseline on the inside of my wrist, then I drag the brush once across that each time I pick up a new piece of leaf (Vaseline also will stain the composite so if you work with it, be careful to pick it up only by the edge of the leaf). Saille
...or, just bring the clay to the leaf
...I have found that the best way to not screw up my foil is not to touch it.... Period, if I can help it!  I roll out a layer of clay larger than the foil sheet ...and lay the clay on the foil (instead of vice versa)... then I don't even have to pick up the foil.
.........If I don't need the whole sheet, I wrap what is left in waxed paper. jjjjami

HTH,

Diane B.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008 10:04:41 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008 10:50:43 AM »

Thanks so much everyone for your kind compliments!
 Grin

Diane--Ok, refraining from smacking my head this time (still hurts from last night) but why didn't I think to cut the foil sheets paper and all!!  That should help tremendously!!  Thanks a million! 
And I know I am behind with adding my polyclay tutes to my hometown site, but I will get to it as soon as I can find some more time.  I look and look for more time, time is hiding from me very well this year.   Undecided  But I promise, I will get to it!!   Cool

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008 12:11:39 PM »

But I promise, I will get to it!! 

Okey dokey.  Just give me a heads-up when you do (or if/when you add the photos to your Photobucket)... otherwise my memory leaks like a seive!

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008 04:37:08 PM »

sure thing Diane!!
Thanks again!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008 04:48:53 PM »

How do you get your foil to stick to the clay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008 04:53:28 PM »

Kaleesi--The sheets I am using cling to the clay on contact.  No burnishing or no plastic sheets to rip off the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008 09:05:42 PM »

omg

so beautiful!  I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
McJulie-O
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008 09:21:29 PM »

Breathtaking! And your explanation is wonderful!
Thank you, Thank You!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcook72677
I fink you freeky

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008 05:09:59 AM »

This necklace is very beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade and vintage goodness!
www.gibsgoods.etsy.com
koola
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008 10:15:58 AM »

omg cannot believe someone made these, they look so professional! you should definitely sell them, you'll make loads of money!

gorgeous Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Shop - Wuvvlepop Accessories - http://wuvvlepop.etsy.com

Fan of Twilight, Kawaii and Horror Movies looking for Personal Swaps Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Strawberry Lemonade Cobbler
How to Make a Watermelon Dream Smoothie
How to Make a Pineapple Cheese Ball
How to Make Chocolate Lava Cake
An Easy and Delicious Pudding Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...