A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 316,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: If Marie Antoinette was wearing this, they would have spared her neck!*TUTORIAL*  (Read 25832 times)
Tags for this thread: necklace , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 15, 2008 10:44:57 PM »

I am still stuck in sheets of copper and silver leaf.  I was down to my last square inch of copper leafed sheet of clay (pre-crackled).  I thought I was done, but look what I done did now!!
This tutorial is going to be a little choppy, for this was not planned at all. 
I will have better "how to" pics towards the end.
This is how IT started:

I took that inch and sliced with my wavy blade.  I then rolled and rolled to reach enough for these three tiles.  Black for backs.  I used my stencil press with this one.  But below I will show you a faster and easier way with cutters.

I thought, I wonder if I did this......I took one of the bottoms to the wig jig and started spacing out loops.  I was thinking of linking the three tiles together with a two strand frame of mind.  They are just over an inch squared in size.  Two of these for the sides....

This one is for the center. 

Do you see what I am kinda after here??  Do not study these too long, I had to do a little changing below (you'll see)

I put on their tops, smoothed the seams to bury the wire so the loops are hanging out, as neat as I can.  I bake these.  Then apply future floor polish.

I used copper chain and findings to pull it all together.  I used plastic coated bead wire and crimps.

I bent figure 8 wire findings to hold my two strand together on the sides/back.

With extender chain, this looks best when worn as choker. Ok, created a monster, WHERE IS MY SILVER LEAF SHEETS AT??  Now that I know what I am doing, the REAL tutorial starts HERE!!
Supplies needed for assembling the tiles:
Silver leaf sheet
Black polymer clay (I used KATO of course)
Wavy blade
roller
pasta machine
square shaped cookie cutters (I used both 1 1/8" and 3/4")
20 gauge silver wire
Wig jig
round nose plyers
plastic wrap

Conditioned black clay through thickest setting of Pasta Machine.  Lay your sheet of clay onto the sheet of silver foil (or you will be chasing it around the room if you try laying foil on the clay)  TURN OFF CEILING FAN (sounds like a story and I have a doozy!!)
Roll another sheet of black thru pasta machine (thickest setting again) for the divider lines you will be cutting.

Using your wavy blade, make cuts like so.....

Notice I did not crack the foil YET.  I try to keep my slices consistant.  I arrange side by side. 

I divided evenly into three tiles.  Roll more black clay thickest setting of Pasta Machine.  Place your wavy sheets on the prepared sheets like so....

I then took my roller and back and forth, up and down, crack the foil like so... 

Lay down a sheet of plastic wrap to have effortless smooth edges!!  These are quite simple to keep even, I just kept the lines going diagonal, corner to corner.
Another quick accident to share, I was lining up some of my scraps to use as background sheet, turned it over when I got my edges kinda smooth, SURPRISE SURPRISE!!  Not intentional at all, but looks like it!!

Never underestimate your scraps!!

This stuff is so amazing!!  I think this will live on my address label tin, later tho, back to tutorial!  Wink  Not sure if the clay gets me high, or happy accidents do??

Time to visit the wig jig.  Lie down your backs and line up your pegs.  Put the loops where you want them, or study the pics and do what I did.

Put your tops on, everyone is lookin!!!   Shocked   Wink
Be careful to double check your wavy lines going the right way before you "heal" the seams closed all permanent like or you will have loops hangin where you shouldn't (sounds like personal problem lol  Tongue)
This is for center 3/4" tile
This one is done smaller for the 3/4" squares I used for the smaller tiled choker. Notice how I left a tail when starting and stopping to curl around.  The copper one I did, bent very easily and pulled it right out of the clay after baking.  So I remedied that by adding small loop to inbed into clay.  YAY problem solved.  (and super glue on the copper one saved it YAY super glue!)

This one is for the sides of 3/4" squares, so bend two of these.  I added one figure 8 loop to center the one dangle the smaller ones have.  I could not center that loop on my wig jig, so improvised.  But if dangle there not wanted, leave it out.

This one is for the 3/4" tile earrings.

Ok these here are my favorite part of this entire tutorial.  I did not have any silver "two strand to one" connectors, so.....

SOOOOOOOO, I made some!!  Using triangle cutter (yeah I got loads and loads of cutters  Grin)
PERFECTO!!!  Plain triangle pieces for backs.  Smacking my head wondering why I have not done this before??  Huh

I think I am looking at my "hood ornament" of my booth this fall!!

This is the large set (earrings are 3/4" squares)

Here is the smaller set, a little less chain also.  3/4" square for all tiles.

This shot here shows how the joining beads have a diamond cut to them, mirroring the diamond shape affect.  I hit the mother load when I scored the beads, half price at Hobby Lobby!!

Puff heart earrings

These have little crackle.  I used stencil press to make them so Puffy!  Grin  Notice how I have the wavy lines opposite ways from each other.  These are quite flashy!!  Fishing tackle flashy!  Yeah, been there! used tackle!!  Proud of my teenage yrs in the 80's thank you very much!!   Roll Eyes 
I did not find ANY of these ideas anywhere, they were born in my own head.  I made the puffy hearts with storm power outage, flash light and candles and luckily did not cut any digits away. 
I still have almost half of the sheet left of silver, this stuff goes on and on.  Yeah I know I say I will cut in half next time, but I end up wasting it trying to cut before using.  If anyone has any advice on cutting the foil successfully, please share!?!  I will share more ideas getting the rest of this sheet used, come storms, hot weather or whatever!!  Grin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008 10:56:59 PM by beadizzygrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
xmissmayhemx
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 10:54:50 PM »

I seriously need some silver foil now.  These are so friggin awesome!  Thanks for the tute, I'm bookmarking it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr photos!
Stars and Sparrows
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 10:56:14 PM »

Wow - stunning sets and great tute!

Definitely a wonderful "hood ornament" for your booth - perfect eye-catcher right when people will be looking for the perfect piece to wear with their holiday outfits!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
PorgeCreations
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 11:37:01 PM »

That is such an amazing tute!! thank you so much beadizzygrl! I'm really going to have to have a go at this one. They look absolutly stunning, i love the style.

x~PORGE~x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Only people who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible***

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PORGEcreations <3

http://porgecreations.deviantart.com/ <<< Open for commissions <3
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008 12:08:39 AM »

I bow down before thee... you rock Cheesy

They all look fantastic, thank you so much for sharing your tute! I must get some foil...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
bbeaded
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008 01:19:42 AM »

woooow these all look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Latest blog - www.oddsnblobs.blogspot.com

MY NEW ETSY STORE!! - www.oddsnblobs.etsy.com
loca4crafts
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008 01:38:17 AM »

This is so beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008 04:25:31 AM »

Jaw dropping gorgeous beadizzygrl!!! I love it all!!!! I love love love the design - it is just so elegant and drapes so perfectly! All your stuff is fantastic - but I believe this is your masterpiece!!!!
You really should open up a clay studio and give lessons. You have so much patience and attention to detail!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
kabidesigns
Karina

I Love the Magic World of Polymer Clay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008 05:51:57 AM »

WOWWWWWWWWW!! thanks for sharing is GREAT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimi
Domestic Apprentice

Learning the art of thrifty creativity!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008 09:21:16 AM »

Beautiful. I giggled reading your tutorial -- "Put your tops on everyone is looking!"  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's inspiration everywhere!
Crafting for my sons, 5 and 3, and just about anyone else I meet!
My Wists
My Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...