A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin M & M jewelry  (Read 6904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2008 09:13:03 PM »

My first effort with the kind of resin where you just add a few drops of the catalyst.  The instructions for how much catalyst to add seriously confused me - you use the same amount of catalyst no matter how much resin you use - as long as the pour is the same depth.  That just doesn't seem right.  So I just sort of winged it and it worked out okay.

I still had some bubbles even though I used all the tips here.  Not too bad though.  I did learn that a flame close to the resin is also close to the meltable mold!

I wanted to do these M&Ms - they were from a graduation party and personalized with "congrats" and the the grad's name - as a gift for the grad.  I sealed them first with an acrylic spray.  This caused many of them to crack.  I just used the ones that didn't.  Some of them cracked in the resin - but not too bad.  The white printed "M" on the back had already worn off (I don't know why) - so don't know if that would stay normally.  But the personalized printing stayed just fine.  The M & Ms came in the votive holder at the party - so I just put some in the bottom and poured the resin over.

The M & Ms were a little thick for some of the molds - here's what happens when you dremel the back flat and the candy protrudes too much - bare chocolate!

And here's what I did to fill up the rest of the molds.  I learned a lot - some work better than others.  Next time I'll go easier on the glitter and keep them more simple.  All in all, I'm happy with my first experiment - and grateful to everyone here who has offered so much advice (you know who you are ammasmama)!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
claraohara
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 09:28:28 PM »

They look great!
I love the m&ms.
And of course I love sprinkles!
What is in the multicoloured ones on the left?
Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
KarenLouiseM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 09:33:08 PM »

Those are little fish shaped sprinkles.  They are all candy sprinkles.  If you follow in sort of a clockwise direction there are:

Regular "dot" sprinkles
Sprinkles and "fun foam" heart
Jimmies (we call the longer ones by their alternate name of jimmies because my husband is Jim - it baffles my 3 year old grandson who thinks we are messing with him)
Stars of David
Pumpkins
Candy Canes
Stars and Moons
Bats

All were fun - but the bats and glitter are just too hard to make out in person and the jimmies are too skimpy.  Next time they will be better!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
claraohara
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 11:58:36 PM »

I am so sprinkle jealous!
I would LOVE bat sprinkles!
Where did you get them from?
Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
kahani
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008 02:46:09 AM »

Ooh lovely craft! I'll be featuring it on www.craftycrafty.tv =)

Btw, because I'm a hopeless geek and can't help myself - the reason why you use the same amount of catalyst regardless of the amount of resin, is because by its very nature, a catalyst accelerates the process, without changing its nature. Meaning, whatever you add doesn't actually go away. It hangs around, makes friends, and stays unique and unaffected by peer pressure. So save on catalyst! Hope that helped.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008 07:17:54 AM »

Thanks for all the great comments.  I have really been coveting so much of the resin jewelry I see here on Craftster.  I am very happy to know I can start doing it myself Grin

I wish I could tell you where I got the bat sprinkles - but I have no idea.  They came in a cylinder shaped shaker  about the size of an extra short take out coffee cup.  It has multiple openings - one for pumpkins, one for bats, one for black sprinkles, one for fall colored jimmies and one for fall colored leaves.  I don't even know WHEN I got it, let alone where.

And I do appreciate the info on the catalyst - it just kept seeming SO wrong.  15 drops for 1 ounce of resin - 15 drops for 1 quart of resin??  It just doesn't sound like it can possibly be right!  I appreciate the confirmation (and am still trying to really get my mind around the explanation  Wink).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oddsnblobs
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008 07:36:47 AM »

you have done a really great job! they look fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ETSY shop - the place to find lots of pouchie items Smiley
http://www.oddsnblobs.etsy.com

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/oddsnblobs
structuredchaos
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008 07:57:21 AM »

These are too cute. I wish I got something like this when I graduated. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008 10:30:50 AM »

Haha, I think all I did was say practice on a regular M&M first?!
 They look cute!! I need to cast candy for a show next week, maybe I'll get M&M's and NOT eat all of them for once, but I don't know...
 Halloween stuff is coming out already in some stores, now I need to find bat sprinkles!
I googled up bat sprinkles, but I have no patience for waiting for shipping. I bet the local Party City or whatever it's called has Halloween sprinkles too... Maybe I'll go on a sugar binge today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

famerebel
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008 09:31:28 PM »

What is going on with that first picture? It looks like the m&m's are cast onto a ceramic like fan sculpture..

Maybe I just cant see o_o It looks really cool though!

yeah, ammasmama or w/e is soo helpful! She's gotten me off the ground too.

Yeah, that mixing stuff was totally baffling. My friend and I had these goggles/sars masks on and it was just like a episode of 'Red vs Blue' in my opinion. lol "What are we doing out here... *pause* WHAT IS THIS *longer pause* Mann..this smells too" LOL.

i think i will wing the catalyst too. i did 5 uh smallest measurement and 20 drops of catalyst and it was wayy too much stuff for that easy cast mold and wasted Sad also took forever to dry, so maybe a higher ratio of catalyst per w/e is good. too much catalyst can crack/shatter your resin though when you drill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Pear-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Apple-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Athletic Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Petite Body
Best Dressed Stars: Beyonce, Jessica Chastain and Ashley Tisdale
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...