A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Growing Tree  (Read 3221 times)
Tags for this thread: tree , growth_chart , chart , kids_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 15, 2008 05:53:26 PM »

I made this for a swap and since my partner received today, I'm going to post it here.  It's a growth chart for her baby-on-the-way!  Her nursery will have a nature theme.  I was all amped up to paint a growth chart on wood or MDF, but it seemed like the shipping would be challenging.  So after PMs and wist-stalking, I thought why not a fabric tree?

Mounted in my basement wall.

Close-up of the many little tucks or pleats or whatever they're called on the trunk.

It's really hard to sew crooked on purpose, but controlled crooked!

A handy dandy pen pocket for the fabric pen:

And how it will look to the baby (when he or she gets here), only on a cuter colored wall:

I'd never done anything like this before and I was pretty pleased with how it turned out, but boy was I nervous about my partner liking it.  She does or is faking it really well!  YEY! 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008 05:56:45 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: C'mon T! Proofread first, THEN save. Geez! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

violetta27
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 06:06:34 PM »

That is so cute.  I absolutely love the texture you created for the trunk of the tree and the leaves are adorable. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 06:24:20 PM »

That's really pretty--I like it a lot. I've been thinking of making something like that for my kids. I had been thinking about how tedious it would be to make all the markings and numbers--it never occurred to me to use a tape measure! Good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 06:29:09 PM »

violetta27 - Thank you!  I was trying to make the trunk look "barky" with out looking rough. It took me hours, but I'm not disappointed in how it turned out.

sarahmakes - Thank you! I was thinking the same thing about all the numbers and marks (and the likelihood that I'd be inaccurate).  If I remember correctly, I was inspired by the one of the prints that has measuring tapes, but they only go to 12 or 20 inches or something.  Then I realized measuring tapes are sew-able!  Whee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoDakHoney
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008 06:52:13 PM »

I LOVE THIS! You did so great! I am SO making one of these for my little girl, due in November. Smiley Thanks for the great inspiration!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:*CAiT
Kargrrl

Everything is good Crafterall!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008 07:14:36 PM »

This is the whole package: beautiful, crafty, skill-filled (those tucks and pleats!), genius, and a gift to boot. Well done!

I'm hittin' "This Rocks"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008 07:36:31 PM »

Grin T - this is sooooo awesome!!!! I need to get one of these for the kiddies..... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008 07:41:48 PM »

SoDakHoney- Ahhh.  Be sure to show us when you finish (both the chart and the baby)!  You can even PM me or add a link in this thread so that I'll be sure to see it.

Kargrrl- I'm blushing and not just because it's hotter n heck this evening.  Thanks so much for your generous words!

hippiejo74- Seems like there ought to be more things like this available that aren't totally toddler-themed.  You know something you'd want to see in your kitchen or laundry room or that the kids wouldn't "outgrow".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lighthematch
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008 08:38:55 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful!  I am covetous!  the 'bark' detailing is awesome, the colors, the way you cut and sewed the leaves....everything!  If I ever quit being lazy, I'll be making one of these for my toddler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mimiw
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008 05:38:19 AM »

This is the whole package: beautiful, crafty, skill-filled (those tucks and pleats!), genius, and a gift to boot. Well done!

I agree!  AND - it was for lucky me  Grin  I can't wait to get it hung and displayed!

TheMistressT is amazing.  Period.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hillary Clinton on the Message of Hard Choices
Antonin Scalia: A Court of One
Why Writers Are Chasing the Art World
From Fandom to Obsession: The Cult Following of Bob Dylan
Horse Saves Troubled Teen
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...