A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Daisy Cakes - with illustrated tutorial (img heavy)  (Read 5065 times)
Tags for this thread: cupcake , flower , daisy , ladybug , bee , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LizardKirk
« on: July 15, 2008 03:18:36 PM »

These cakes were made for the tea and coffee session after the judging round of St Peter Port (www.floralstpeterpo rt.org.gg/) in the Floral Guernsey Community Competition 2008. They went down very well, so I decided to share the instructions!

(Guernsey is a small island in the English channel, for those that don't know. The Guernsey in the USA is named after us... it's where I'm from, and I'm new. Hello!)

The design was inspired by sushiluvzombie's fantastic cakes (www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=240213.0), and the Floral St Peter Port logo, which is based on the St Peter Port daisy, found growing in our granite walls. I designed the logo, too!  Smiley

So, how to make them? Start off with your favourite cake recipe - I used 100g flour, sugar, marge, and 2 eggs for 12 cakes, 180C for 15 mins.
Whilst you are waiting for them to cook, sort out some smarties (m&m's, skittles or similar). You can either just pick out the red and yellows, or sort them completely and make a pretty rainbow...

Then, if necessary, cut the tops off to give a flat work surface. I was making a lot, to feed judges, our committee, and all the school kids and parents we'd roped in at the school. Kids always boost your points in competitions like this!

Next, mix up some buttercream (icing sugar, marge, a little hot water - experiment for consistency) and dye it green. Pipe this into six leaf shapes on each cake, spread evenly round a circle, about the size of a 2p coin.
The easiest way to do this is to pipe one leaf, rotate the cake 180, pipe the opposite leaf, then rotate and pipe the middle two.

Now we get to the clever bit. Water down some yellow food colouring, or it will be too intense. Dust a plate, and your scissors, with icing sugar to stop them sticking as you chop
slices from a marshmallow.
You should be able to get four or five from each marshmallow, but if you try to cut them too thin they will curl or sometimes rip. (This does however give you the excuse to eat them...)

From experience, I would advise only doing one or two marshmallows at a time, as they do get sticky. Once they are chopped, use a brush and your watery yellow to colour them. Then stick each one into the middle of a cake. It should just overlap the leaves, and be held down nicely.

Be warned, you will get messy!

Next we add the petals. This will take a lot longer than you think...! Mix a little apricot jam and boiling water together to make a glue. Roll out some royal icing. (I was going to use a marshmallow fondant, but didn't have time to experiment, so I don't know how well it would work. I might try it next time..)

I put 16 petals on each daisy, starting with the four points of the compass, then NE, SE, SW and NW, then another round of glue before a second offset layer of petals. As I made 50 cakes, this meant 800 petals, so there's no wonder my fingers are sore!  Grin If you don't have a handy petal cutter, you can use a circle cutter and overlap to get the same shape. 

The finishing touch is to add a ladybird or bee, made from a smartie and writing icing, with a little icing underneath to stick it to the cake. Ta-da! Daisy cakes to impress..

(Shown here with some tasty gche that someone else made. Gche is a local fruit loaf, very rich. I've not been brave enough to try making one yet - I've only lived on the island 23 years!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 03:28:10 PM »

Oh I love love love them!!!! So cute! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 05:56:23 PM »

That's amazing. I can't believe the work you put into all those tiny petals! I would have given up. Thanks for the tutorial as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RachelKristin
rude crude & tattooed

Vulgarity is my specialty

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008 11:47:22 AM »

ohh i love daisies! these look so beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr page
http://rachelkristin.tumblr.com/

Check out my Etsy store to purchase some of my work!
http://rachelmckay.etsy.com

Do you Twitter? Follow me!
http://twitter.com/JigsawYouth

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelmckay/
LizardKirk
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 05:56:16 PM »

Thankyou for you nice words!  Grin
I did get just a little bored of doing the petals - and I confess I had help from my mum and my grandma - we had a bit of a production line going.

We (http://www.floralstpeterport.org.gg/) came second in the island competition - got a silver gilt award. Smiley So we needed something special for the buffet after our parish competiton awards evening.... Hints were dropped about having daisy cakes again.. but that there would be 80 people. I decided no thanks, I'm not making 80 cakes. Way too much work - especially as I wouldn't have help  Roll Eyes I did this instead:

The petals were cut from a large square cake, and then covered in icing. It was still a lot of work, but easier than the little cakes.
For an idea of scale, the ladybird, bee and caterpillar are smarties. It was also good for the buffet as people were able to just take a petal, without having to worry about slicing it up and so on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009 08:36:20 PM »

I think these are adorable!!!  I am totally going to make these.  But instead of painting the marshmallow yellow, I am going to wet the surface LIGHTLY with plain water, and then press into yellow colored sugar.  This would be much less messy.  And I am also going to experiment with cutting petals out of more marshmallow b/c I hate fondant!  It tastes so bad!  Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
x3superjulie
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009 09:26:42 AM »

Those are lovely! I have to try em some day!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparrowlegs
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009 09:46:38 AM »

beautiful cakes well done !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Hair Trends: Posh Braided Buns to Luscious, Loose Curls
6 Hair Trends For Fall
Easy Waterfall Braid Tutorial
Celebrity Inspired Hair For the Summer
4 Glam Ways to Wear a Hair Wrap
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...