A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,003
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: t-shirts for gay pride  (Read 1573 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sf craftster
« on: July 15, 2008 02:12:03 PM »

hello! i am putting this in the stenciling board, even though we used a screen, because what we did technically wasn't screenprinting. you'll see what i mean.

my group of friends (gay and straight and everywhere in between) really do it up for pride. of course, we live in san francisco, so everyone seems to get excited about pride. if you haven't been, seriously, it's the place to be on the last weekend in june. it's our gay (straight, bisexual, queer, allied, transgender, whatever) christmas.

we start with gay thanksgiving about a month before pride to choose a theme and a color scheme. last year it was "does that make me gay?" which was a parody of gnarls barkley's song "crazy" (everybody now: "does that make me ga-ay? that makes me ga-ay. i think you're ga-ay. just like me-e." get it?).

this year the theme was "nobody gonna break-a my pride" a parody of matthew wilder's song "break my stride." one of our friends makes up a line dance to the parody song and we all make t-shirts in the chosen color scheme, this year: white and navy. during gay advent (the time between gay thanksgiving and gay christmas), we get together to practice the dance and make the shirts. i was in charge of cutting the stencil (printed on to a transparency and cut with an xacto). we tape the stencil to the back of a screenprinting screen and just pull the screenprinting ink through. kind of a poor-man's screenprinting technique. it works super well. here are the results:

on blue

on white

a bunch of them drying

and, just for fun, a shot of angie

most people choose to put an image or a phrase on the front of the shirt. for example, for last year, people put images or words on the front that was a gay stereotype, like a picture of yourself in a softball uniform (does that make me gay?) or "all my friends are gay" (does that make me gay?). get it? this year, most of us did something that is not, in fact, going to break-a our pride. i did prop 8 (the anti-gay marriage initiative) with a big X through it.

i also made my skirt, a pleated white number to look like a sailor chick. of course, i lost my camera half-way through and didn't take my own action shots. maybe i will update later if someone else has pictures.

and finally, just to visualize how much fun it is, here's a group of us last year, doing our line dance

and up-close of last year's stencil (though this was just a practice one, not on green like the color scheme) so you can see how i got better this year!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 01:18:53 PM by sf craftster » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RachelKristin
rude crude & tattooed

Vulgarity is my specialty

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 02:15:19 PM »

that is so freakin awesome. i would love to be in san fran for that! me & my husband actually talked about moving up there. anyways, LOVE the shirts!! keep it up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr page
http://rachelkristin.tumblr.com/

Check out my Etsy store to purchase some of my work!
http://rachelmckay.etsy.com

Do you Twitter? Follow me!
http://twitter.com/JigsawYouth

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelmckay/
tellevator
dancefloor destroyer

punk rock arts'n'crafts since 1987

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008 02:41:30 AM »

oh my gawd this is killer!  especially the "does that make me gay?", fuck, it's so good.  it reminds me of margaret cho's "am I gaaay? am I straaiight? and I realised, I'm just a slut".
and your printing skills have definitely imprvoed  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamakins37
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008 02:21:33 PM »

those came out really well! i would love to see more pics if you have them! looks like a ton of fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know the black bits in bananas, are they tarantulas' eggs?
katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008 08:10:25 AM »

that is so awesome!! i grew up in a household with a father that is gay.. so i am pretty passionate about gay rights.. awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sf craftster
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008 02:36:57 PM »

thanks for the positive feedback.

that is so freakin awesome. i would love to be in san fran for that! me & my husband actually talked about moving up there. anyways, LOVE the shirts!! keep it up

move! it's the best city in the world! or, at least come for pride: last weekend in june.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Puff Pastry Apple Tart Recipe
How to Make Oreo Style: Cookies & Cream Sandwich Biscuits
The Science Behind Pound Cake
Summertime Strawberry Icebox Pie
How to Make Gluten-Free Two Ingredient Nutella Brownies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...