A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: half brag/half question about kids crafts ****Modified thanks to new info****  (Read 642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarnthespian
R.A.D. not A.D.D.

Distracted by shiny stuff since 1989

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 15, 2008 12:55:16 AM »

Ok so i was in the vintage clothing store near my house that i adore thanks to the fact that you actually learn the history of the piece when you buy it, and the owner (who A. is the only one who even works there and B. also has a vintage clothing museum with like fashion through the decades) randomly started asking me questions about what all kinds of crafts i do, because she knows i bead and macrame and crochet and such (she likes to give me the old wood bead necklaces to re-string and such, after all she only sells them for a dollar) and so after a few minutes of discussion, she suddenly declared that i shouldn't make plans for this fall because she was going to hire me to help teach basic arts & crafts to several home schooled 8-10 or 8-12 year olds! I already have several ideas, such as the plastic canvas cross stitch of cartoon characters they like, simple hemp bracelets and macrame, maybe those old belts you made in like 3rd grade where you wove yarn through about 5 or 6 strands of thick twine and then gave to your mom, painting, maybe some sculpey, things like that. I want to do the crafts at their level, but not the same old stuff in the super family fun books (you know what i mean?) like if they had a nintendo ds help them make a felt cover, stuff that they'll feel like is really cool but that they can do, which is why i said maybe hemp bracelets, because its very simple, and its something the older kids would do/wear so it makes it seem cool, you know? So even though i have some ideas, i would like to get y'alls input, if you have kids ask them too, what kind of things they would think would be fun to learn, practical for doing in maybe two hours or so, and right for the age. I really want to them to enjoy this, so i want a lot of options.

****EDIT: I got more information, what we'll be doing is working with Weed & Seed kids, so its not so much a forced class but like an after school program and whomever was interested in craft, it would be one of the available activities for them, so probably they'll either be able to vote as a group what kind of thing they want to do, or  could have a few things set up for them to choose between, that required minimal supervision.****
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008 07:01:21 PM by yarnthespian » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you're first out at Never Have I Ever, do you really lose the game, or do you just win at life?
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 12:16:20 PM »

8 year olds are pretty capable Smiley I have a an arts & crafts summer play group going ranging from 4 to 12 & the older ones really get involved in what they are doing. I would trust an 8 year old with real scissors (not crummy school variety) and maybe a low temp hot glue gun in a small well supervised group.

What are the parents expecting? Some home schoolers do so because they are very conservative, some because they are very liberal- you need to take this into account. Are they expecting Art Education? or just guided creative time? Also where you will be doing these classes makes a difference. If you are in a home you have access to an oven, stove top, sink, etc. But if they aren't yours this could be problematic as ovens don't all heat at the same rate & such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnthespian
R.A.D. not A.D.D.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008 09:28:31 PM »

Yeah thats another thing is i'm unsure where they'll be happening, and the whole possibly very conservative/liberal thing is why i was thinking simple things like the little woven belts because they're just colorful and plastic canvas cross-stitch because that can be altered to fit whatever the child likes and knows. Not to mention plastic canvas is far simpler as far as counting and keeping track than regular cross stitch, also i refuse to give anything other than the larger plastic needles to anything under 10, because i've seen quite a few kids just unthinkingly put it in there mouth to hold it, and all it would take is a good whack on the back and next thing you know the poor child has aspirated metal. >.< and thats scary. the older kids i *might* give a dullish larger needle too under the strict stipulation that they never ever ever hold them in their mouths. *is only a little paranoid, lol* and all scissor use will be very well supervised. Its pretty much just very basic crafts/activitys. Any actual teaching teaching (like not just how to do basic crafts) will be done by the woman who hired me. I'm just helping to offer different activities.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you're first out at Never Have I Ever, do you really lose the game, or do you just win at life?
betty@freekidscrafts.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008 03:54:34 PM »

If you are looking for ideas, take a look at our website. We have everything from recycled crafts to bead crafts to printables, holiday crafts etc. We post a new craft every day for kids from preschool to teen agers. http://www.freekidscrafts.com/ 
Try the recycled section http://www.freekidscrafts.com/
and we also have a section geared to crafts that might spark the interest of boys
http://www.freekidscrafts.com/boys_crafts-t39.html

Let me know if you come up with something new and exciting we can post.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnthespian
R.A.D. not A.D.D.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008 07:20:37 PM »

Thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008 04:03:13 PM »

A childrens program called Weed & Seed? I'm going to guess this on the liberal end of the spectrum....

If you have kids that may or may not be really interested in doing crafts you might lean toward the summer camp type different project each day that's a one day completion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnthespian
R.A.D. not A.D.D.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008 08:03:14 AM »

Yeah its just trying to give kids a place to go, stuff to do rather then get caught up in trouble, and i definitley planned on stuff they could either do in a day or that would be super easy for them take home, and if we did do any sculpey, i'd planned on taking it home and baking it and giving it to them the next day. But the fact that there are other activities available only ensures that i'll be finding the absolute coolest things for them to do i can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boilerscuba
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008 06:03:12 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but I was thinking maybe you could do easy friendship bracelets! I think macram might be a little more challenging than the standard two knots with friendship bracelets. On top of that with floss is cheap, comes in many many many colours, and who doesn't like friendship bracelets? Wink

There are so many patterns available from the standard candy stripped to spirals, so if you're still looking for ideas, maybe you should give it a try!

ETA: do you have any good macram links? I would love to give it a try!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008 06:04:49 PM by boilerscuba » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog on being a creative, caring and conscious college student! http://bienbleu.wordpress.com/
betty@freekidscrafts.com
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008 06:37:40 AM »

If you are looking for some macrame ideas here's a beginning point.

http://www.makingfriends.com/macrame_crafts.htm

Also instructions for friendship bracelets:

http://www.makingfriends.com/friendship.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Glass Art
The Art of Turkish Quilting
The Art of Kilim Weaving and Miniature Painting
The Art of Glass and Ceramic Tile Painting
The Art of Turkish Ebru
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...