A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,360
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making bags  (Read 807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RyuuDolly
« on: July 14, 2008 11:29:50 PM »

I'm making a bag for a friend. She's worried about the holes.. How do you line a bag anyway? How do you keep the bag sturdy so it just doesn't hang to the floor? LOL

I'm making her one similiar to this one

but with a smaller hook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug

I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 10:18:23 AM »

I actually wanted to make a bag similar to that in crochet, but the whole thought of the holes, made me worry about lossing my items.  So Id really like to figure out how to add linning to it as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn to crochet or knit?  I have a ton of extra crochet hooks & circular knitting needles.  Will throw in some pattern books and yarn for anyone interested in a swap.
its_victoria08
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 02:21:33 PM »

I've never actually done this, but someone has told me that you just buy enough fabric to cover the inside.  Then, with a small needle and some matching thread, you can just sew it on.  Fold the edge of the fabric under, so you have a nice, clean line.

Again, I haven't actually done this, but someone has told me it can be done.  Wink

As far as shape... I like the slouchy look.  Over time, the strap will get stretched out if it is carrying heavy things, but I think if you do a two-layer strap, it'll help eliminate that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Victoria
Butterfly Love
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 11:41:59 PM »

As far as shape... I like the slouchy look.  Over time, the strap will get stretched out if it is carrying heavy things, but I think if you do a two-layer strap, it'll help eliminate that.

A two-layer strap? I've never heard of that, what is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its_victoria08
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008 07:47:34 AM »

Start crocheting the strap as you normally would, but make it twice as wide.  Connect the first half to the bag like normal, but don't connect the second part.  Then, when you finish, fold it over and sew it to the other half of the strap.

Or, you could do the strap in the round and it would be two layers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Victoria
mysticflower
Madeleine Allcock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008 04:48:38 AM »

If you line the strap, it won't go out of shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Butterfly Love
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008 03:44:35 AM »

Thank you so much! I am in the middle of making my first bag (only the second thing I've crocheted) and that really helped me, I changed the way I was making the strap and it is better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarjorieCrochets
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008 09:45:58 AM »

I am not the best at lining purses and bags, but I find myself doing it more and more often now, so maybe I can offer some help here, if only by telling you how I do it. My methods are kind of down and dirty, nothing fancy.

I have two ways of making a lining for a purse. If the purse is fairly "flat", i.e. not much of a bottom, I flatten the bag out, then lay it on the fabric I want to line it with. then trace around it leaving a good half inch border all the way around between the purse and the line I am tracing for a hem. Please make sure you have doubled the fabric before you do this, so that when you go to cut it out, you will have two pieces. Also, I recommend using a pair of pinking shears to cut the fabric, so that it is less likely to fray. I don't have a sewing machine, so I hand sew the seams starting at one top corner, down, across the bottom, and back up the other side. Then I fit the purse lining into the purse itself, and turn the top edges down, pinning them into place around the top of the bag. I whipstitch the lining into the bag, usually a half to a quarter of an inch down from the top edge of the bag. This is the fairly easy method.

For a bag with a more defined bottom, either a definite oval, square or circle, I make sure I trace that bottom on to a piece of paper before I begin to crochet up the sides. That way I have a template to use for the purse lining. Then when the bag is finished, again, I flatten it out, and leaving at LEAST an inch between the bag and tracing line, I trace the bags sides and tops. I also trace around the bottom template that I traced onto a piece of paper earlier, again leaving at least a good inch between the template and the fabric. After cutting out the fabric, I pin the two sides to the bottom, then pin the sides together, and sew. Sometimes you need to fiddle the two sides to the bottom, it's not an exact science, at least not for me. Then I fit the lining into the purse, and proceed as I do the easy method, turning down the hem, pinning into place and whipstiching the fabric into the purse.

As for handles or straps that won't stretch dramatically out of shape, I use a number of methods.

Method One: The easiest is to do a alternative reverse single crochet stitch all around the top and both sides of the straps. This is done by inserting the hook into the stitch as you normally would start a single crochet, yarn over, draw through so that you have two loops on your hook, then turn your hook 360 degrees (yes, you are twisting those two loops of yarn!) yarn over, and draw through the two loops. This forms a surprisingly sturdy edge to the top of your purse and the straps.

Method two is to do your straps separately from your purse, chaining the length you want, and doing two rows of double crochet, then sew an appropriate length of binding tape to the top and bottom of one side of the double crochet. Fold the other side over the binding tape and single crochet through both thicknesses. Sew the straps in place on your purse. I use this method frequently in making straps for backpacks.

Method three is to make tubes of fabric and sew them to the underside of your straps.

Forgive me if I've been overly wordy here. I hope this is of some help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Steps to Saving Your Hair Color This Summer
How to Create a Simple Chignon
Best Of Hair Products For Curly Hair and Post Swimming
3 Easy Summer Hair Style Trends
Beach Waves in a Bottle! Texturizing Sprays For Every Hair Type
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...