A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Container vegetable gardening in Southeast Alaska (lots of pics)  (Read 9680 times)
Tags for this thread: garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazyred

Livin' high in Alaska......and lovin' it!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 14, 2008 10:24:23 PM »

Okay....so....this spring I decided that I would try my first attempt at gardening.  Now, so you know, I have been known to kill cactus and so, my family thought this was a hysterical idea!!!  But I perservered, did oodles of research and determined that, since I live in temperate rain forest (50-90 inches of rain annually), container gardening would be my best bet at a successful yield. 

I also decided that I wanted a small greenhouse, to protect my plants from drowning and the ravens, for Mother's Day.  So, with a design in mind for small 8x8 greenhouse w/ a pitched roof, I contrived to enlist a small portion of my family to achieve my ends.....isn't family great?!

1.) Get hubby to fork over left-over wood from various projects, hunt down recyclable pieces for use, buy whatever materials may be needed, build greenhouse
2.) Get brother #1 (works in lumber/hardware yard - also ex-landscaper of 10 years.....) to getting remaining lumber & tools needed, build greenhouse
3.) Get brother #2 (landscaper) to build greenhouse
4.) Enlist my teenage children for cheap labor, building greenhouse and hauling soil

while I, snoopervised the construction, kept the guys supplied with beer and hot meals (as we did this in the evenings after work/school, and I, well I...cook like grandma Wink......) and hunted down any recyclable container (i.e. coffee cans, bookshelves, baskets, plastic bowls and plastic drawers, etc.) to make into planters and got down to planting.......

and voila.....my Mother's Day greenhouse (my family ROCKS!!!) and very first attempt at gardening..........the greenhouse vents on the bottom of the 3 non-door sides (I just open and secure corner flaps with eye & hook latches on the nice days for full sun and fresh air) and has rebar hung inside for my hanging baskets and as the strawberries & strazzberries mature that's where they'll be hanging out.....with the tomatoes (growing upside down in buckets - I have one in each corner of the greenhouse and all are topped with different herbs (cilantro/corriander, chives, basil and parsley) for companion growing (I googled & looked at many, many different versions of upside down planters and was worried that a soda bottle would just not be sturdy enough - hence the buckets), cucumbers and the 3-in-1 citrus plants.  I have the radishes growing in wicker baskets and carrots in a large recycled plastic drawer next to them.  Beans and broccoli make up the double row planters and snap peas the single one.  Snow peas in terra cotta planters and bush green beans in the coffee canisters, strawberries and strazzberries are in planters in these photos - awaiting transplant.  The garlic is doing swell and smells so fine - as you open the door to the greenhouse your first smells are of the garlic and basil (yum-yum Smiley.   I also have red potatoes growing in 5 gallon buckets right outside the door.

The 4 leaf clover was a freebie plant (along with a vine peach that Im trying out) that the company I ordered from threw in with my order and so I thought what the heck.....I love it and have given quite a few plants of it away to friends as a "good luck" gift....they also have enjoyed it very much, the green and purple colors are striking and all are perfect 4-leaf clovers....hurray for freebies!!!

Im really pleased with how the greenhouse turned out and how the plants are coming along so far.now, the real trick will be, to see if I can keep the bears out of it all summer  long the cats are difficult enoughAnyways, I apologize for the length of the post (verbal and visual).  Please....any comments will be helpful, as I'm learning as I go.....Questions?  I'll try to answer as clearly as I can.......Thanks for looking!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed be.
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 10:37:54 PM »

That's soo cool! I'm a plant killer too ... I try but it just never works! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mslabelle
Corgis are the sweetest!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008 10:56:19 PM »

I hope your garden does well.  It looks great in the pictures.  I'm a little jealous.  You have a yard.  When we lived in Juneau, all we had was a deck that was way too close to the mountain.  Nothing I ever tried to grow lived for long.  Something always killed them.  Now we live in Louisiana and I still can't garden.  In Juneau the problem was the rain.  Here it's the heat and humidity.  I can barely take being outside for a few minutes.  Darn Coast Guard just has to be difficult.  Oh well...   Sorry for rambling.  I haven't been outside all day.  Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality and substitute my own.  --Adam Savage
bonzablue
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008 11:19:30 PM »

WOW that is lovely ! I wish I had one !
I am in the UK and my garden has not worked that well this year (sigh)

BonzaBlue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mum to two... love to craft - terrible at housework !
delilah_bird
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008 05:10:25 AM »

This is great and the plants all look wonderful! I really want a greenhouse! So how exactly do the pesky bears get in? Is it when you open the vents on the sides? If so maybe you could make some sort of chicken wire/mesh covers to go over them when they're open? That should let the air continue to flow but keep out intruders Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grendelsmom
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008 05:20:42 AM »

That's a fabulous greenhouse!  The design is great, very adaptable; wish it was mine!  Your plants look like they're off to a good start - good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TMommy
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008 07:45:20 AM »

Great job I really like the container idea. I hope you get a good crop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting since birth
kali_akash
Proud, in a modest, non-hubris kinda way :)

Are those turkey vultures? Wait, are you a zombie

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008 09:36:05 PM »

Yeah. Well. Teenage labor. AS HER DAUGHTER I OBJECT!!!! But I'm very proud of my mother and her plants. She's funny, checking on her garden nine or ten times a day! I exaggerate, but that's what it seems like.

Yay a greenhouse!!

And perfect timing, with the flooding and destruction of the crops down south..

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to a personal swap for a good sleep mask!!! Inquire within the PM box!
astamour
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008 08:23:53 AM »

What a lovely greenhouse!  I am inspired to make one for myself.
Nice use of space with the hanging planters, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm pro-accordion, and I vote!
katybird63
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008 11:26:43 AM »

Wow, you and your family did a great job.  Your plants are looking good.  You will soon be enjoying the fruits (and veggies and herbs  Smiley ) our your hard work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Aboriginal Style Drawing Part 1
How to Make an Aboriginal Style drawing Part 2
How to Make an Aboriginal Style drawing Part 3
How to MASTER Drawing an Eye in 5 minutes
How to Oil Paint - Varnishing and Signing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...