A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Singlet Straps tutorial the Craftydeb way  (Read 5263 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2008 06:06:53 PM »

I have been asked by a lot of people to post a tutorial on how I do the straps when I make the singlet grocery bag.
I did not design the singlet bag - queenofdiy made the amazing tutorial but I just had issues all around with the strap so I (with the help of my friend Susan who put the huge finishing touch on how I do them now perfectly each time) redid only the strap part of the tutorial..
For the rest of the tutorial - go here...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0

Okay - cut out your pieces... check
lay right sides together outer/inner, outer/inner - check
sew around but do not stop before you get to the end - just keep on going!!!

gratuitous picture of my sewing machine foot - yeah, I like to use the F foot.  I like to see where I'm going and where I've been Wink

See? It'll be okay - just sew right off the edge of the straps.... don't look back - just do it!!

Okay... turn right side out... check
iron.... check...
put right sides together - doesn't matter which way - lining to lining or outer to outer - just match up either way...

Now. Here is the fun part... stick your hand up through one of the straps and grab the three layers under your fingers - I took a picture of a safety pinned section - those three layers are what I am going to pull through the strap...
(yes it is kind of like putting your hand up someone's skirt Shocked)

And you know what I wasn't going to post this picture since my nail polish is looking really really sad in this one... moreso than the others.  I only do my nails once or twice a week - I am due...
But see here - hand shoved up through the strap (No it will not fit all the way through so don't even try it - your fingertips can make it through though, grab ahold of those three layers as shown by the safety pin - heck, if you have to - safety pin them first and do it til you get the swing of it...) Then pull them back on down through the strap and out - smooth it all out and move on...

Line the edges up all nice and tidy and sew through all 4 layers...
Sweet, aye? Now what you ask - I have this strap that is all sorts of inside out and whatnot - well stick your hand down there (uh, from the top now, so now you are putting your hand down someone's shirt Shocked) and pull it all back up - all right side out and looking oh so fabulous and perfect - no wiggly seams because this part didn't quite match up with this part - or nothing...

It's like pulling a rabbit out of a hat!  Whoo hooo!

So now you ask what do I do now?
Well move on with your tutorial (uh, after you do the other strap...
Put your right sides together and sew down the length of the lining to the outer fabric on both sides...  yaddah yaddah looking great - still laughing about the putting your hand up someone's skirt... but you're loving your bag...
flip it all around... do your topstitching because it makes it look oh so finished and tidy...
do your awesome french seam that queenofdiy has us all hooked on now..

And done. One gorgeous bag with a no stress strap!!
And I get to show off my kickarse macro lens for my digital camera - not really thrilled about the rounded off edges but hey, it's all good.  I can take a close up of a dime and it looks fantastic...!

I hope this tutorial on the way I do the straps for the singlet styled bags is helpful and it is understood.  If I can clear it up let me know - I can definitely whip up another (I am sure I have more cut out somewhere but I can't find the floor of my craft room - or get the shelves.. or the closet... and the sewing machine is in the kitchen because I can't move around in there *sigh* but that is for another day - I am sure I can whip up another bag and take more pictures if need be if it isn't crystal..

Thanks for reading my long winded version of how I do the straps for the singlet styled bags..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008 03:38:22 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 06:44:07 PM »

I seriously just finished cutting 7 bags...just.  now.  like right now.  What a cowinkydink!  I'm going to try this, although I have tried the way it is posted and didn't seem to find it a problem.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
ilikepinkrain
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008 07:44:02 PM »

omg. thank you so much.
that was the part i totally didnt get and was actually preventing me from trying queenofdiy's tutorial.

im sure this will help many people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008 08:19:02 PM »

I know so many people didn't have a problem doing it the way queenofdiy does the handles but I could not grasp it and tried and tried... so I had a friend sit down and try it - and she had issues and it was a real pain and very awkward for her to do the straps - so I showed her my makeshift way I was doing it - and she said why don't you just sew through all 4 layers ... and well, it worked... like a charm.  My frustration disappeared and my seams looked amazing from that point on. Every bag I had made previous to the new strap technique just looked so *inferior*... It might not help everyone - but for a dolt like me it works like a charm!
I do hope that it will help some others out there as well - It is just so quick and easy and I tell you what - every single time the seam comes out exactly lined up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Jinkies
Creatalicious!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 08:33:03 PM »

Ooooh Deb thanks for this!  I've been watching the thread to see if you posted your how-to but didn't want to bug ya with the swap and all.....  I'm finally gonna try this bag!!

**EDITED*** I'm still confused... can anyone copy and paste the last sentence from the original tute before Debs tute starts?? **  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008 08:46:30 PM by Jinkies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen/Jinkies

Currently swapping:

Once You Pop Halloween - SOD  9/27
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008 06:12:39 AM »

Place one main fabric piece and one lining fabric piece right sides together and sew the middle "U" shape.  Then sew the other curved seams BUT ENDING APPROXIMATELY 1 1/2 INCHES BELOW THE TOP OF THE HANDLES.  This allows you to sew the top of the handles later.  Clip the corners and turn right side out and press.  Don't topstitch at this stage:

Okay - here is where I go different - I don't stop at the 1 1/2 inches below the top of the handles - just keep going and sew right off the top of the handles....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Jinkies
Creatalicious!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008 06:21:59 AM »

OK - I'm gonna give it a shot!!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen/Jinkies

Currently swapping:

Once You Pop Halloween - SOD  9/27
chloesmama
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008 10:56:50 AM »

Thank you VERY much Deb.  I have been wanting to do this bag but couldnt quite grasp the concept of the handles.  Now I will DEFINITELY try it out!

Melynda
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008 10:40:16 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

megarobertson
I make it Rain dear!

Jennifer Perkins is my Hero!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008 11:52:42 AM »

You are a saint! Thank you so much. I was kicking myself trying to figure it out (figuratively not literally  Cheesy)

I can't wait to try this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everyone's a photographer.
My Wist:http://wists.com/megarobertson
c99
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009 08:21:51 PM »

Thank you Deb -- as much as I love queenofdiy's singlet bag tutorial, I always have problems with the straps. But I just tried your method and it was so much easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Breakfast Oatmeal Recipe
The 411 on Cosmetic Injections
NewBeauty Magazine Beauty Choice Awards: Product Highlights
MAC Collaborated with Kelly and Sharon Osbourne
Best & Worst Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...