A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yo yo quilt  (Read 1275 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kmsmaverick
« on: July 14, 2008 12:51:01 PM »

hiya, methinks yo yo's are a good passtime in front of the tube when knitting needs to have a little vacation. so i'm making the yo yos, with the intention of someday making them a quilt. (i've got five made, hee) but i've got a question, are the gathers the right side, or the wrong side?

many of the patterns of my scraps are not visible n the gathered side so iid like to make that the wrong side, think that's ok?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 08:53:20 PM »

I am also working on a yo yo quilt!  I have always been told that the gathers go up (right side of the quilt) but it is your quilt so how you display it is completely up to you!  I say go with what you like best.

Here is a pic of mine so far:

The squares are 4x4 yo yos and I am at around 185 4x4 squares-not joined into a finished piece yet.  Good luck with yours!  They take a while, but I think it will be worth it.  I like the gathers up on mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 09:04:58 PM »

Yeah, the gathers are the right side. You want to show off all that hard work don't you? I have been wanting do one myself...*sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 09:21:09 PM »

I did mine with the gathers up as well - but mostly just cuz it looked boring the other way - kind of flat.

audrey1999 I love your colors!  That is going to be so cute.

And anyone who is tempted, I say go for it!  It took a lot less time than I thought it would.  It's a great "no-brainer" thing to do and you get such a feeling of satisfaction seeing it all finished  Grin

Here's mine:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=191012.msg2007405#msg2007405
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
kmsmaverick
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008 06:02:46 AM »

sweet georgia brown, those look so nice. you girls did some fantastic work on those.

i figure what i'm going to do is use the yo-yos themselves as the take along part of the project- y'know to doctors waiting rooms, the rmv, waiting for kids to be finished at dance class. then i can just sort of keep at it, then eventually i'll have enough to make the quilt. i dunno though, that might take a really long time. my starting circles are 4" or so too.

one thing i think i might do is put most of the gathers face up, and then some of them face down perhaps 3x3 with gathers up, and then a border of gather side down, so the quilt ends up like a checker board. but i'm so far away from that right now, i've only got around 15 done. hee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamato2girls
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008 08:04:16 AM »

audrey-How long have you been working on yours?  I have a bag of yo-yos I am working on planning to have a throw by Christmas.   I have been sewing so much lately that i haven't had any down time to make yo-yos, so I am behind.  Yours looks great.  I can't wait to see mine at that point. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008 11:56:32 PM »

audrey-How long have you been working on yours?  I have a bag of yo-yos I am working on planning to have a throw by Christmas.   I have been sewing so much lately that i haven't had any down time to make yo-yos, so I am behind.  Yours looks great.  I can't wait to see mine at that point. 

I don't even want to admit that I have been working on mine for ...5 years?...  My finished circles are a little over 1 1/2 inches.  I have to admit, it has been one of those projects that is put aside for months and then pulled back out again.  I generally work on it at night, after dinner, while watching t.v.  In fact, I wonder if i have actually ever worked on it during the daytime while at home.  It is my companion in the car for long road trips and on the plane.  I think that is what makes it unique to me though.  It has taken forever, but for this quilt, it is all about the process.  I worked on it from Auburn, AL to Asheville, NC on my honeymoon,  from Birmingham, AL to Nashvillle on a trip we won, from Birmingham and Mobile to Denver (old homes to present homes), to go see Phish in Hampton, VA in 2003, from Denver to Yellowstone National Park-Mesa Verde National Park, Black Hills of SD and Mt. Rushmore, and many others.  It is to the point that I might just have to start another one, or I won't know what to do when I am in the car for extended periods of time.   It has easily charted 10,000 miles on its own-that is not an exaggeration by any means. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
kmsmaverick
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008 05:39:29 AM »

yes, but that's what makes it so great! even just in your post you remembered and revisited all those places and trips. So the quilt is not only a great thing to look at, it's also a souveneer of those great adventures too! That's exactly the sort of project i'm looking for. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Extend the Life of Your Leftover Burgers with Bacon
A Bunless Burger You Can Try This Weekend!
Learn How to Make Hamburger Croissants
New Mustard Toppings for Your Summer Burger
Love Mayo? Try One of These 5 New Burger Toppings This Weekend!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...