A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: backing  (Read 699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chinarockfishakm

Ralphie Jr. (Christmas Story)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 24, 2008 07:55:27 PM »

My quilt top is approx 53in x 66.25in. Weird sizes cause its made with charm squares and a 3/8 allowance. I was too lazy for the 1/4 seam. HAHA! Anyways, since alot of fabric is 45 inches wide and mine is bigger than that whats the best way to construct a backing? I dont mind if its kinda patchy cause the top is very random.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft-ish Blog: http://notimeforcrafting.blogspot.com/

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008 06:51:54 AM »

You could do a couple of things - use one piece 45" wide and add another piece to get it to the proper width (remembering to add a few extra inches so your backing is a little larger than your top) or you could piece together a few different fabrics to get the proper size and give you a patchy back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigerbaby1981
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008 03:31:26 PM »

Some places sell 108" wide fabics for backing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
2many58
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008 07:37:15 PM »

If it's prewashed?  You can always buy a sheet for the back and prewash it.  This is much more ecconomical than most backing fabric.  I generally purchase mine a size larger than the bed, and can often get my binding from the edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me crafting always equals cold coffee.  *L*
Good thing I like it that way. 
2 many crafts started, need finished.
58 needs a few 0's added.  *s*
aspenwall
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008 07:47:39 PM »

ditto what 2many58 said
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitch Simple Jen
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008 06:50:40 AM »

Another great thing about the sheet solution- sheets usually come in higher thread counts than quilt fabric does- so it makes a really tough quilt.  I have one that I made this way that is going on 10 years old.  I wash it at least twice a month (so it is heavily used) and the quilt top has been repaired a number of times from wearing out- but the backing is still in really great condition.

Stitch Simple Jen
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008 02:57:11 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
smudgycat
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008 09:59:36 PM »

I found some 108 inch wide fabric on clearance at Hancocks of Paducah for $2-$3/yard (I forget now, but it was really cheap). 

If you end up patching together fabric, adding it in the middle makes it look intentional instead of 'oops, ran out of fabric'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
Carlafibers
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008 07:32:55 PM »

Just piece together fabric that matches and is relevant to your quilt top. This would make an interesting back surface.  Think of the back as a second design element.

I do not care for sheets... the thread count is way too high and the machine makes a "popping noise" during the quilting.  It also plays havoc with your tension.  If you are using a professional machine quilter for this last step, discuss this with them as many machine quilters do not accept sheets as a backing.

If cost is a consideration, many quilt stores have a bargain fabric section of good quality fabric on sale for up to 40-50% off.  Good luck!

Carla

Quilting Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/featheredfibers/sets/72157600088335290/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding Content to the Pages
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating Multiple Pages Using a Template
Extreme Website Makeover - Choosing Background Color and Alignment
Extreme Website Makeover - Editing a Layout in Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Tracing Image
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...