A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: To Write Love On Her Arms Memorial Quilt  (Read 11417 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hardcoremothball
I can't think of anything clever to say

French Toast...Get it?

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2008 12:20:00 PM »

Forgive the back story but I feel it's necessary in order to understand how important this project is. If you don't really care just skip the words and go straight to the pics.

I met my friend Joe in a hospital setting. We were both there getting treatment for self-injury. Joe entered the hospital the day after I did and we were the same age. He was really depressed because his girlfriend had left him and he felt he had no reason to live. We spent Christmas together in the hospital. He "lived" right down the hall from me. On New Years Eve Joe committed suicide. I spent a year and a half of my life blaming myself for his death. He had said some strange things the night before and I was convinced if I had told a staff member at the hospital about them he would still be alive. This quilt is about finding the closure I desperately need. I made it in his memory and I'm donating it is his honor to To Write Love On Her Arms, a nonprofit that seeks to raise awareness about self-injury, depression and suicide. But mostly this quilt is about pain and hope. I'll be sending it out tomorrow but I couldn't make something like this and not share it with the craftster community. SO...Enough words...Pictures!

This is the whole quilt(my dad is 6'8" and he is holding it...for a better size reference)

This is a closer image of it

A close up on the pinwheel(those things are tricky!!)

And the 5 Hand embroidered squares

I think it turned out really well considering I've never done anything besides a simple block quilt for a baby before. I hate doing binding though. Its the bane of my existence. The binding didn't turn out so well but hey nobody's perfect. I took forever to cut out all the little triangles. But I'm glad it's done and I can send it along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 12:29:24 PM »

That is beautiful.  You should be so proud, not just of the beautiful quilt, but of your own persistance, and the obvious love you have for people in similar situations.

My heart goes out to you and to yours.

And keep quilting!  And embroidering!  You do beautiful work!  I love black & white quilts, they're so striking!

Oh, and by the way:

**Rocks.**
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008 12:30:23 PM by littlebiskit - Reason: She rocked it! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
saraheliza
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008 12:45:03 PM »

Beautiful quilt.  I hope you find some closure and some peace soon.  I'm sure you have been told many times that you cannot be responsible for someone else's happiness or their actions.

Please keep crafting - I believe that creating is healing in itself.  And your work is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shootingstar
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008 12:50:51 PM »

Condolances and prayers for your loss, your strength and perseverance in moving on, raising awareness, and using your grief in a positive way to help others in your situation is very commendable.  Your quilt is beautiful, and so is the story behind it, in it's own way.    I've had several friends and family members struggle with this problem, and there is no easy way out of it.  You have to meet it head on.  I'm glad to hear you are being pro-active and speaking up.

Surround yourself with people you love and who support you, and with things you love to do, and in time your soul will heal.  May God bless you and your loved ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lord, show me your ways. Teach me how to follow you.  Guide me in your truth. Teach me. You are God my Savior.  I put my hope in you all day long.
-Psalm 25:4-5

PM me if you want to swap!  I need some stitch markers...

Finally got one...
http://www.wists.com/shootingstar320
Gemcraft
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 12:56:10 PM »

I love the quilt, and your honesty is refreshing (O:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
TMommy
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008 01:38:06 PM »

Amazing! I love the idea and thought, what a great thing to do for ur friend!
I'm sure someone will love this quilt as much as you put into it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting since birth
seetulane
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008 07:38:30 PM »

Ok having done my stint in a mental hospital setting and lost one of my friends there too this quilt made me cry.  Thank you for making it and sharing it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008 08:45:43 PM »

This is beautiful both the quilt and the story.  I am familiar with the cause and love and support what they do.  Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008 09:14:11 PM »

lovely quilt, for a worthwhile cause.
Good luck with the closure.
Be kind to yourself
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008 12:11:00 AM »

It's a lovely quilt. You've done a great job making it. It's an important cause. In the USA, at least, we need to spend as much time, energy and other resources on mental health as we do dental health. I've never heard of someone dying from dental carries or imperfect teeth.

It's an important cause. Thanks for sharing.

*rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Posing Tips for a Great Profile Picture
Idan Cohen on How Photography Hobby Teaches Point of View
Shaun White Photo Behind the Scenes
Eight Young Artists Pose for a Photo By Ryan McNamara
Sacred Angkor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...