A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serged Wingless Mama Pad - Mini Tutorial  (Read 6316 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilmama06
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010 11:05:17 AM »

WOW..This is interesting..Making me wish I had/knew how to use a surger..Great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mod35tBabe
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010 06:30:03 AM »

I spose in all truthfulness it's not *all* that different from a cloth nappy really. I wish I knew how to surger too - I'd like to get rid of the disposables for me AND for the environment. Oh and a tip for getting blood out of a lot of items (not just pads) is soaking in vinegar and bicarb of soda and then rubbing with baby shampoo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
veri
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010 06:06:49 PM »

They really look professional! How the hack do you serge those small corners sooo perfectly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MC Designs
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010 02:05:39 PM »

I'm not really understanding how this works. I know you re-use them and wash them. How do you keep them from being stained and such?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010 06:31:15 PM »

I'm not really understanding how this works. I know you reuse them and wash them. How do you keep them from being stained and such?

Yup, you sure do wash 'em.  The idea is to try and be green.  Also, reusable pads like this have less chemicals than commercial produced disposable pads, so some people find they help with making their period more comfortable.

To avoid staining, some people use a wet bucket (just a small covered container kept under the sink filled with water and vinegar, I believe?), but it's not really necessary to do that.  While they may be stained if you don't, their use kind of lends itself to stains, so it not really something to be overly worried about, you know?  I've also heard that putting anything stained out in the sun can really help to bleach it well.

If you want to get a more detailed picture about the benefits of reuseable pads, check out this tutorial that turned into a giant discussion thread:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18462.msg11973#msg11973
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
SugrMagMama
Owner, LovinBundles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010 05:33:05 PM »

WOW..This is interesting..Making me wish I had/knew how to use a surger..Great idea

You can still create these pads by using the T&T method.. Turning and topstitching... In fact.. I will get cracking on a tute for that as well w/in the week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugrMagMama
Owner, LovinBundles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010 05:39:42 PM »

I'm not really understanding how this works. I know you re-use them and wash them. How do you keep them from being stained and such?

I also use Bio-Kleen Bac-out.. it works wonders and leaves the pads smelling naturally fresh. 

There are great resources to find this info...   here are a few of my favorites.. (by no way, shape, form or means am I connected to the links that I am providing as a resource)

http://www.comfyclothpads.com/washing-cloth-pads.html
http://clothpads.wikidot.com/washing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Hair Care and Styling Tips
Hair Loss Treatments for Women
Exciting Advancements In Hair Care and Hair Loss
How to Fake Highlights in Your Hair
DIY: Texturizing Sea Salt Hair Spray
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...