A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serged Wingless Mama Pad - Mini Tutorial  (Read 6063 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SugrMagMama
Owner, LovinBundles

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2008 11:52:13 AM »

Welcome to my tutorial on Wingless Mama Pads...

After 8+ years of wearing conventional mama made pads.. I created something different for the shape of panties on the market. These are PERFECT for boyshorts, cheeky's or bikini's.  Of course they work for all style panties, but they were designed by a need for a pad to wear with boyshorts.

Please keep in mind, I am in NO WAY promoting my business with this tutorial.  I no longer promote my pattern or my pads as I simply do NOT have the time. I am sharing this with all of you.. so you can make them.. I am in NO WAY benefiting from this tutorial other than it makes me happy to share! Grin

1 layer of Cotton Flannel, 1 layer of Absorbant material with a contour liner (I use Hemp/Org Ctn Fleece), 1 Layer of PUL and 1 layer of Fleece (I use Malden Mills 200wt Fleece)
The pad that I am creating is a night time wingless mama pad.  Of course you can make them any size or shape. You would be surprised at all the shapes of pads available!

I then zig zag the contour pad onto the main body of the contour liner and then sew that to the top layer of the pad with a zig zag.  As you can tell by the pics, I zig zag longer lines on the outer edges then I do in the center.....

I then place the top layer of the pad down on the table, then layer the PUL (I am using white PUL here) and then the fleece on top

I place the pad in the serger. I start on one of the end sides and when the lines straighten out after the curve

I serge slowly.. and when I come to the corner I go a bit slower

I place my hands at a funky angle and spread my fingers. this position actually helps feed the fabric slowly and allows the fabric to curve correctly. (excuse my fat fingers)

Here the pad... finished..

THings I have learned after all the years of making pads..
*NEVER use white thread as the CENTER stitching.. on the outside is fine but for the inside it's just gross after awhile.
*Don't use WHITE background fabric... you can guess why..
*I keep a black index card file box next to my toilet to keep my soiled pads in... at the end of the day.. I rinse them and put them back in the file box.. I usually wash them the next day with towels. (I use oxi-clean and regular detergent.. do NOT use fabric softener)
* I dry them on high with my towels
* If there is significant staining.. you can sun them. The sun will naturally bleach them.. BUT NEVER USE REAL BLEACH!
* I store them in plastic shoe box containers when not in use..
* If pads get an odor.. sometimes they do.. I never have had the experience, but I have heard from others that it occurs.. you can put a drop or two of Tea Tree Oil or Lavender Essential oil in your wash.. they will make them smell better..

If You have any questions, feel free to PM me. 

Happy Sewing!
=) Kristina
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010 04:02:11 PM by SugrMagMama » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixelpup2001
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 12:05:01 PM »

Hi, where do you get the water proof fabric,(PUL?)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugrMagMama
Owner, LovinBundles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008 12:32:59 PM »

Hi, where do you get the water proof fabric,(PUL?)?

I buy it from the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010 11:27:46 PM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Crafster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dragonmama
MILF-y Crafter

Retired Swapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008 12:45:24 PM »

This is a great, straightforward tutorial. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandandsilk.wordpress.com

wists.com/dragoneyezed
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 01:33:32 PM »

This is a great little tutorial but.... um.... how does it stay on? As far as I can tell, wouldn't you need something to keep it in place?

Just wondering!

Great Tutorial, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugrMagMama
Owner, LovinBundles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008 09:31:22 AM »

This is a great little tutorial but.... um.... how does it stay on? As far as I can tell, wouldn't you need something to keep it in place?

Just wondering!

Great Tutorial, though!

surprisingly enough it doesn't slide any more than a winged cloth mama pad.  I had a customer who wore boy shorts last year ask me to design a boy short pad.. so a wingless pad was the perfect option.

As long as you use a fleece,suedecloth or a material taht has a "sticking" affect as the backing your golden!!

I have been wearing cloth for over 8 years and I grab my wingless ones first!! even for nightime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010 02:43:04 PM »

Awesome looking pads!  I've been meaning to make some for a while, but I really suck at going around curves with my serger...It looks like your blade is disengaged in this picture, which I haven't been doing.  Is that the key to going around curves on a serger?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
SedonaWildflower
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010 08:16:29 PM »

I had always wondered about this... "Recylcleable pads" My gosh it's brilliant. But I suppose this is how things were done before disposable. Maybe not so pretty... I feel so ignorant. Do you wash them when you're done? Doesn't it stain?! Maybe this is the wrong place to ask all these questions.

Nice work and pretty patterns regardless of the fact that I didn't know these really existed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010 06:57:24 AM »

Actually Sedona I was wondering the same thing... I dislike disposables because of sensitive skin but reusable always seemed a little...gross to me.
Well done on the pads though, they look lovely - sure beats the disposables for looks any day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
seesaey
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010 09:16:26 AM »

I'll answer here ince you both asked the same question.  When you take the pads off you can rinse them off and put them in a wetbag or small trashcan until you are done with your period.  Some people use water in the pail but others don't.  Then you can wash them by themselves or with towels (I wash mine with cloth diapers).  They might stain but usually if you put them in the sun for a while it will come out.  At first I thought it was gross too - but it definately feels alot nicer than the sticky disposables do (and cuter!)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Luli Fama 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Selena Gomez Leads the Pack in Her Hot-Pink Mini at the Teen Choice Awards
5 Must-Have Summer Sundresses Under $100
Your London Olympics Shopping Guide
How to Spot Fake Designer Clothes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...