A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: visting Providence....tips anyone?  (Read 2268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dahilia
« on: February 13, 2005 02:49:28 PM »

I'm planning on visiting Providence to shop at the closeout bead places.....anyone have suggestions on cool neighborhoods to stay in? Good places to hang out by yourself? (traveling alone).

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005 01:45:25 PM »

I've heard the Portugese bakeries there have some incredibly tasty stuff that you can't always get elsewhere in the U.S.
The riverwalk thing is supposed to be cool, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
e
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005 01:50:08 PM »

Where are the closeout bead places!?  Where are you coming from?

I'm not sure about hotels, but the East Side has some lovely shop-lined streets like Wickenden, Thayer, and Wayland Square.  And downtown can be fun to explore too.  There are tons of galleries too. 

Maybe you can find some helpful information here:  http://www.providenceri.com/home.html  And check out the awesome photo galleries. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahilia
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005 08:58:36 PM »

thanks!

I realized that all my favorite ebay bead/findgin sellers were from RI, so I did a little investigating.

I found this article:
http://www.wholebead.com/TheRuby/rubyprovidence.html

and this is one of the big places: (80,000 square feet!)
http://closeoutjewelryfindings.com/

Only thing is, you have to have a resale license.

I'll be coming from Texas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpyRI
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005 09:44:35 PM »

Wow- I'm from here, and I didn't know about those places!!! Damn- how can I get a resale license?  Roll Eyes
Yeah, definitely check out Wickendon Street for some neat coffee shops and bars, funky craft places and antique and retro shops.
If you're into art and architecture, Providence's Armory District the highest density of Second Empire mansard roofed Victorians in America ( I'm pretty sure about that weird fact- did my thesis on architecture in the area, so I hope it's really true!) and also there are wonderful, wonderful federal era buildings all over the East Side. If you'll have time, check out the RISD museum- some surprisingly good (and recognisable- like, oh, hey, I know that painting!) art there and really fantastic collections of RI made furniture- the real good stuff, Goddard and Townsend and such. Great little museum- small enough so you never get museum fatigue!
When and how long will you be here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it had a beat, you could dance to it
xmelinda
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005 07:15:32 AM »

I spent several days in Providence by myself a few years ago, there for a business conference.  I loved that city!  I'd live there.  It's very "walkable" in the downtown area.

If you can stand it, wait until May or later so you can experience this thing called Waterfire.  http://www.waterfire.org   It is one of the coolest things I have ever seen/heard/experienced.  It looks like "what's the big deal" when you see photos, but when you are actually there with the music and everything, it's amazing.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
dahilia
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005 03:38:47 PM »

Thanks everyone! I could be wrong, but I believe a resale license is just basically a seller's license, for sales tax purposes.....if you have a webshop or sell at craft fairs you probably need one anyway.....I'm not sure when I'm coming yet....probably whenever I can find the cheapest ticket....but before I go I'll post here....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpyRI
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005 08:59:15 PM »

Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention Waterfire! Xmelinda is so right- it is a really beautiful thing! If you can, check it out- it is such a neat public art spectacle. The fantastically crazy ex-mayor (currently imprisoned- Free Buddy!) had an idea that he wanted to kind of make Venice in Providence and you can take gondola rides while the braziers of fire burn on the river. I've never done it but would love to- it looks so romantic. I've seen wedding couples floating down and it's so gorgeous with the smoke and the glow and the music is usually really good- they played Dead Can Dance one time I was there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it had a beat, you could dance to it
e
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005 12:48:29 PM »

http://www.gallerynight.info/Schedules.htm

The next Gallery Night is March 17th.  And its FREE!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenna_Kenji
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005 09:08:27 AM »

RISD  had an all ages night the other day.  I was part of their project where the studio made masks for the show (the stucio as in New Urban Arts) And i happen to have fun making a mask of one of my art Tutors (i whonder where it went o.O) anyways, I was just on thayers yesturday, it's a place you just cant get enough of!  everytime i stop by it's like "WOW!" Grin  I would love to meet any of you =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Talk to me, dance with me....
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005 02:46:07 AM »

We're moving to Providence this fall and this information will come in very handy.

http://gramma.tiker.net
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andy & Debb Backstage Hair Trends - Fall 2009
Custo Barcelona Backstage Hair Trends Spring 2011 - NYFW
Backstage at The Vivienne Tam Spring 2011 Collection - NYFW
Highly Textured Hair Tips
How to Highlight Your Hair at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...