A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 311,416
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Porch/exterior decorating ideas - without flowers?  (Read 2326 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jinkies
Creatalicious!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2008 07:26:26 AM »

I really want to fix up my porch  - but have 2 obstacles.... I don't do flowers well and have a neighborhood association, so painting the structure is a no-no.

With that being said, I'm thinking maybe fabrics?  Stenciling the actual porch? 

I'd love some ideas, pics, links - anything!  Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen/Jinkies

Currently swapping:

Once You Pop Halloween - SOD  9/27
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008 02:47:06 PM »

Maybe some potted plants, like non-flowering trees. A favorite of mine are ferns. Also what about decorative outdoor candle holders? They can be pretty and colorful. I am just not sure if this would violate your neighborhood association rules.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
deftann

These things just happen.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008 04:03:42 AM »

If you have a covered porch, I say go with fake flowers and plants! You could get some pretty containers and as long as you remember to bring them in during the winter you are golden. Howver, if your porch leaves everything exposed to the elements they may not hold up so well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadiepie-5

Behold the phonics monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009 11:14:59 AM »

What about a container water garden?  I'm planning on putting one on the landing up to my front door.  I got a 20" diam. bowl-shaped planter at Lowe's, it doesn't have holes in the bottom and is about 6" deep in the middle.
It's plastic (yes, I'm cheap) but I've found that if you rough up the surface with sandpaper and give it two coats of krylon for plastic, it sticks surprisingly well.  I have some other plastic pots that I painted this way and they've help up pretty darn well.

I know Home Depot/Lowes both have a big selection of different-sized planters that don't have holes at the bottom.  I'll put a layer of gravel and marbles in the bottom, just to disguise the fact that it's a planter and make it more interesting and maybe a few water plants.  You can buy small water plants like rushes or water lettuce and lilys on eBay.  Just go look on water garden sites and they'll have lots of suggestions on what plant likes what kind of light and how to plant them in water.  (Tip -- save old pantyhose and line the plant pot with it before you put it in the water, less soil floats around that way) 
You'd prob. also want either a water agitator (google search "bird bath accessories") or a small fountain to keep the 'skeeters from breeding.  Maybe an aquarium pump would circulate that small amount of water? 
You just don't want it to sit stagnant. 

I have heard -- and know that there are many opinions on this -- that if you add plants, have a very low-speed water pump and let the plants settle in for a few weeks, you can add a koi fish or two.  They sell munchkin-ones at Walmart for about $4.  Keep 'em out of the sun, make sure you feed them, take note of neighborhood cats.... I know many people are quite adverse to this idea and please note, I'm the crazy mommy of a betta fishie and would only try this idea under careful circumstances and lots of research.  But it's an idea.

Or a similar idea -- a rock garden?  Like, a large low planter with gravel and a rake?  It's kinda fun looking....

Also, alternative to flowers:  hearty herbs, like rosemary -- tough to kill, actually seems to enjoy drier soil, and likes light.  Plus, it smells great and you can cook with it (marinades, bread, etc) or NOT cook with it (rosemary + oil + bread someone else baked = yummy!)

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009 10:26:03 PM »

Stencil the porch!  I saw this post a while back and I have been coveting the idea for my garage for a while, but it would work on a porch, too!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=212519.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrknArrow518
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009 09:58:20 AM »

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone's ever made a fabric canopy for a swing?  The one on my swing is faded and doesn't stay on the corners anymore.  I only bought mine about 3-4 years ago.  The swing itself it still in great shape though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kathleen    Tongue
JessWal

Jesus=my everything

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009 09:29:35 AM »

i like the stencil idea... it sounds interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saving you're friends is the best gift you could ever give them... Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn
A Certain Summer by Patricia Beard
Self-Published Millionaire Authors
How to Get Your Book Published
4 Young Adult Books For Your Summer Reading List
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...