A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gin & Tonic Jelly  (Read 1668 times)
Tags for this thread: alcohol , jelly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pretty in Pink
« on: July 14, 2008 05:44:41 AM »

I was told about this particular Nigella recipe that features in her How to be a Domestic Goddess cookbook a few months back and have been wanting to give it a try. Gin & tonic is one of my favourite alcoholic drinks, and the fact it can be made into a dessert is even better! I remember making a very dodgy vodka jelly in University, but that didn't work too well.The original recipe serves 8. I halved the recipe or Hubby may never make it to work tomorrow due to a hangover. I don't own any fancy jelly moulds so served it in tall glasses instead. Because of the alcohol content it takes a great deal longer to set than normal non-alcoholic jelly.

It had a lovely refreshing taste with a pleasing G&T kick. I believe a proper G&T should have lime and not lemon in it so next time may replace the 1 lemon for 3 limes. I'm thinking of using the same technique to make a Pimms jelly with the traditional Pimms fruit suspended in it for my Birthday get together at the weekend.

I think I now have a thing for jelly and could be making variations all summer long!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 05:50:23 AM »

my boyfriend would love this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008 06:08:25 AM »

Ooooh, this looks (and sounds) delicious!!! Shocked

Here's a link to Nigella's book for anyone looking to try this recipe:  http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Domestic-Goddess-Comfort/dp/0786867973/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216040831&sr=8-1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
SensiblyTacky
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008 06:09:36 AM »

Oh my!! I love this idea! I may have to play...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachymanaangel
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 06:11:47 AM »

ohhh that sound so nummie!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008 06:48:21 AM »

I tried to make pudding shots once with chocolate pudding and baileys instead of milk..  it didn't work too well Wink

this looks much more appealing hehe Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008 07:18:21 AM »

Thank you for all your kind comments. I determined to experiment and see what other jellies I can make. I love the rainbow jelly that has been featured on crafter recently, maybe this should be my next project!

sweet4eva - thank you for posting the link. I'm never sure what type of links I'm allowed to post on Craftser.  Embarrassed

Mandyhello - I have a habit of putting Baileys in most puddings I cook and it agree doesn't always work!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008 10:12:45 AM »

sweet4eva - thank you for posting the link. I'm never sure what type of links I'm allowed to post on Craftser.  Embarrassed

Awe, it's okay!  I actually went to look it up for myself (I want that book!) and figured since I had it handy, I would paste it here. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008 05:41:25 AM »

a slice of cucumber twisted would make an interesting topping to this. no, seriously. try it next time you have a G&T, add cucumber slices to it. it's amazing.

what you could do it roll the cucumber in beaten egg white (uk lion mark eggs are vaccinated against salmonella) and then roll in sugar, sort of like the way you'd salt the top of a margarita glass. leave to dry, then slice as thinly as you can. top each jelly with this.

when I was at uni I made a snakebite jelly. A snakebite is a cheap cocktail which is a student favorite here in Essex, UK. it's normally 1:2 ratio of lager (heiniken, carling, becks, bud etc) to hard cider. Then blackcurrant cordial is added to the glass too; around 50 mls. I made my jelly by using a packet of blackcurrant jelly (jell-o) and warming the cider. I added the cider to the jelly cubes to disolve them, then made it up to the rest of the pint with the lager. I then set it. it was a massive hit but I have no pics. I was too poor for a camera lol!!! IT made a nice change to the usual vodka jell-o shots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pretty in Pink
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008 06:01:14 AM »

MrsFibble - I'll have to try the cucumber trick next time. I'm UK based and certainly remember snakebite from my uni days. You've now got me thinking of Crazy Vimto and Turbo Shandy jelly....oooohhhh dear this could get messy!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008 06:02:28 AM by Pretty in Pink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Designs On A Piggy Bank
How to Create a Painted Mug
How to Use Fabric Glitter Liner Pens
How to Use Fabric Paints
How to Take Off Fabric Paints
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...