A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to do mosaic tile on an old box tutorial  (Read 17535 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slick
« on: February 10, 2004 03:46:24 PM »

End result:  

Okay, I decided to do a mosaic box for my friend.  So here is a fairly lengthy tutorial on how to mosaic.  Sorry it's so long, but I wanted to show all the steps, which are basically the same for any size project!  I've done bigger ones--like a mailbox and very tiny ones--like a small suncatcher.

1.  Here is the box--I got it at the thrift store because it has an indent where the metal is, which makes it easy to grout:

2.  Draw picture right on the box (I used a sharpie):

3.  Start cutting tile to fit image.  You need tile cutters for this and ceramic tiles (all available at hardware stores or tile stores or online):

4.  Generally, I cut out the pieces to fit the main image, glue them down with any kind of tacky glue and then do the background last.  

This is fun! It's a bit like a jig saw puzzle figuring out how to fit the pieces together--it's also okay to be a little messy with shapes.  When I've done really perfect ones, they end up looking all wrong.

5.  After letting it dry for an hour, mix your (SANDED!! I find grout "with sand" way easier to use) with water and acrylic paint:

6. Put it on your piece until all the crevices are filled.

7. After waiting 15 minutes, wipe off with special WET sponge (wet, but wrung out) (note: these are cheap enough at the hardware store...do NOT try to use a regular sponge; it doesn't work!):

8.  Keep wiping until it looks like how you want it to be--tiles uncovered, grout in between them!  As it dries, you may have to wipe it a few more times with a wet, but wrung out sponge.   Then let it dry 24 hours.  At the end, you'll probably want to wipe it again with a wet sponge to get off the filmy cover of grout.   I'll probably paint this box and give it to my friend for her birthday.

The whole thing probably took about 3 hours, but I love tiling.  Try it out!   Wink

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004 08:43:11 AM by slick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004 03:59:46 PM »

thanks for sharing with us!  Very good directions & Pics
THIS ROCKS   Logged
downeaster_alexa
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004 08:36:49 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing that, slick! I was inspired by your Frida mosaic to try one of my own, but didn't know where to begin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004 05:41:00 PM »

Excellent tutorial, slick.

I've worked with tile - laying floors and just smashing wall and floor tiles to use in free-form mosaics. I never like the way my mosaics turn out (perhaps because there's no layout, no rhyme or reason to them) and I had no clue you could just change your grout color with acrylic paints... Yes, girl, you rock.

I can't wait to try a REAL mosaic now. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
conclusion

still kisses with saliva

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004 06:45:20 PM »

First of all, your mosaic looks awesome, and the tutorial is definately not too long, the longer the better!!!

k, question. I once did a mosaic on the frame of a mirror, and all the sides are chipping off, so i'm scared to do anything with it. I was told that i needed to put some sort of sealant on it..which wasn't mentioned in your tutorial, so i'm wondering...is this sealant required?? or was i just using the wrong kind of grout.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fitter, happier, more productive
slick
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004 07:21:43 PM »

k, question. I once did a mosaic on the frame of a mirror, and all the sides are chipping off, so i'm scared to do anything with it. I was told that i needed to put some sort of sealant on it..which wasn't mentioned in your tutorial, so i'm wondering...is this sealant required?? or was i just using the wrong kind of grout.

Hmmm.... I have never had chipping, except for on a mailbox I did for someone that obviously is outdoors.  If I did another project for the outdoors, I would use some kind of sealant to make sure it's waterproof, but other than that, I wouldn't think you would need it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princess_me

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004 07:10:16 PM »

this is realy cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocka_mary
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004 04:53:54 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial... good mosaic instructions are so hard to come by. And your box looks very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004 05:16:47 PM »

Your box is so cute!

Thank you so much for the tutorial!  I'm going to do another mosaics project, and I totally needed a good tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who hold on to broken dreams often get cut by their sharp edges.
eakircher

gimme your garbage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004 03:16:36 PM »

I do a lot of mosaics and I seal everything.  I think it holds the grout together better and gives it a more finished look.  There are lots of sealants you could get, look in the Flooring section of a hardware store next to the grout, but I just use Mod Podge and water.  I take a sponge, get it wet, pour on some mod podge and squish it all over my piece.  then use windex to clean the glue off the glass.

Also, a GIGANTIC THANK YOU to slick for this tutorial.  I never heard of those sponges and i was using TONS of paper towels to clean the grout off and it sucked and i hated grouting, but now that i have the sponge, grouting is a BREEZE!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...