A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ani L'Dodi Anniversary Piece & Patriotic Angel -- Cross-stitch (pic heavy)  (Read 4182 times)
Tags for this thread: cross_stitch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: July 13, 2008 06:48:38 AM »

Just some cross-stitch projects I finished earlier this year.  Tongue

First up, the Ani L'Dodi Anniversary piece I did for my in-laws. This was the first piece I have done with any sort of religious symbolism. The symbols in the middle portion is the Hebrew phrase "ani l'dodi, v'dodi li". Translated to English around the border, "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine." The inside border edging is a simple backstitch vine motif. Here's the list of what everything else symbolizes:

Star of David - Israel and/or the Jewish faith
Peacocks - beauty of the eternity to come in Heaven
Grapes and Vines - land of Israel (one of the 7 Spices of Israel)
Olive branches - peace and goodwill
Pomegranates - hope of eternal life and/or fertility (one of the 7 Spices of Israel)

Their last names are in the original piece, just blurred out here for PERSEC.  Wink  And no, oddly enough, my inlaws are NOT jewish.  Roll Eyes

Some close-ups:

And the BEAUTIFULLY framed finish!!

I joked with my husband that if it didn't have their names on it I'd have been seriously tempted to keep it!!  Grin  MIL cried for a solid half hour after they received it in the mail. She even called me still in tears AND started crying harder when I told her I made it myself.

--------------

And next, a Dimensions kit - Patriotic Angel. There's supposed to be the phrase "we hold these truths..." in the background but my cats ran off with the gold thread before I could do it. I wasn't really liking how it looked anyway so I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Before framing:

And with the wonderful framing job:

Close-up:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008 06:50:25 AM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008 06:56:44 AM »

The Ani L'Dodi is just so perfect. The shades of blue were an excellent choice. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lime_rising

Careful or i'll use my pretend ninja skills on you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008 07:08:29 AM »

the Ani L'Dodi is stunning. i love all the symbolism, and the blue is lovely. It's such an intricate and complicated design, I'm not surprised that your mothing in law cried when she received it. The patriotic angel is beautiful too. Her skirts are so pretty and flowing. Amazing job! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The girl is crafty like ice is cold!

"Please don't disillusion me- I haven't had breakfast yet." - Ender Wiggin, Children of the Mind
sixblueirises
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008 07:10:30 AM »

I really love the Ani L'Dodi. I'm a big fan of Song of Solomon, and that backstitch vine is beautiful. What a great anniversary gift.

LOL at the cats running off with the gold floss. I wonder how many craftsters who adopt cats realize that they may very well end up controlling their creative decisions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love instant gratification almost as much as I love parentheses!
katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008 07:18:58 AM »

very beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008 07:19:44 AM »

The Ani L'Dodi is just so perfect. The shades of blue were an excellent choice. Smiley

Oddly enough, IRL, they're actually quite violet. They came in a kit together with the pattern so I just went with it although a friend of mine converted her floss to others more blue. It made finding the mats a pain though. Everyone kept pulling out blues that just didn't work with the colors. Finally my husband found the blue-violet one closest to the piece and the sale associate found the lighter blue suede that matches pretty perfectly too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hheever
Hooked on Crochet worked for me.

Help, I started crocheting, and I can't stop!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008 07:21:03 AM »

I have a friend who did a similar Ani L'Dodi piece for her and her hsuband to commemorate their wedding.  Very nice work btw!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your logic does not resemble our Earth logic-Buffy Summers

Mine is much more advanced-Xander Harris

I-I like my women like I like my coffee, er, covered in bees! [to the bees] All right, back off, back off! Argh!" -Eddie Izzard

Forget regret, or life is yours to miss-Rent
Mrs.Kitty~

Love me some crafty goodness >^_^<

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008 08:06:18 AM »

They are so impressive.  Each one is lovely a very different way. 
You must have been a busy lady to accomplish all of that.

I love the formality and tradition of the first.  Elegant and really a keepsake.

The Angel I like I think without the words too.  I really adore the tassles on her skirt and waist.

Beautiful job.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am exact and merciless, but I love you- There is no escape for you"
Walt Whitman

Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrs_kitty/

Blog-
http://mrskittysembroiderybasket.blogspot.com/
bigfatroses
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008 08:10:39 AM »

Those are beautiful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have several craft books available for trade/Wist items/supplies.  Please see my profile for more info Smiley
luv2draw
luv2draw

La la la la la la!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008 08:46:40 AM »

Lovely work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La la la la la!
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008 09:23:13 AM »

What amazing work! I love the angel, so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

panul
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008 10:58:57 AM »

You do beautiful work. I especially like the anniversary piece. Do you remember who made the kit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008 11:33:37 AM »

You do beautiful work. I especially like the anniversary piece. Do you remember who made the kit?

Certainly! I bought the kit here: http://www.craftyneedle.com/prod.itml/icOid/5275

I started the anniversary piece on Christmas Eve last year and finished Feb 21... it was rather a quick stitch with only 3 colors and a very large and simple design. The Patriotic Angel is small (5"X7") and I started her in 2006 sometime and only finished her this March. About halfway through I sat her down in a drawer and promptly forgot about her though. I think in all actuality it was maybe only 3 weeks or so of work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mellifluous
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008 11:44:48 AM »

Thanks for the link to the kit. This is an elegant piece and you did superb work on the stitiching. Excellent choice on the mats and frame too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishpollywog

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008 12:24:56 PM »

Beautiful Anniversary Gift!  I can understand why she cried so much.  Those verses are very special to me and mine, they are engraved in our wedding bands.  I would have cried too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008 02:29:53 PM »

Stunning! The Ani l'Dodi piece is just beautiful, I've wisted! I wish you were my daughter in law Wink (no wonder she cried!)

I may have to learn cross stitch, I keep coming across stunning Jewish cross-stitched pieces and itching to own them...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008 02:52:33 PM »

Awww, that was such a nice thing to do for your in-laws!  Don't you just love it when somebody cries over something you made them?!  I have a particular fondness for the "ani l'dodi" phrase because my husband and I both have the Hebrew of it tattooed on us.  And we're not Jewish either, haha Grin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
SkyyAngel
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008 03:58:04 PM »

Thanks so much guys!! I'm quite proud of it. Not only was it my first finish in a long time (about 5 years... I have a lot of UFOs... Roll Eyes ) but it's the first where I made absolutely sure that every stitch was perfect. Normally, I just wallow on and "adjust" the pattern as I go to gloss over my mistake. I guess because it was a gift, my perfectionist side made itself known.  Grin  I'm extremely happy with it and happier still that they loved it and it's now proudly displayed in their home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008 04:54:13 PM »

That is sooo pretty!  I may have to stitch that for myself and DH  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008 07:16:40 PM »

That's gorgeous!

I have to ask tho <-- clueless

Is this like a wellknown symbol so that even non-Jewish people would enjoy?  Did the request this or is this just something a lot of pple like? Smiley  I'm sorry I just haven't ever seen this imagery or heard of the phrase Wink  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
McJulie-O
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008 08:18:41 PM »

The Ani L'Dodi Anniversary piece is exquisite, and stunningly matted. My hat is off to you!

And I love the Song of Solomon reference, too. Jews aren't the only ones who treasure that imagery, you know.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kingfrancebald
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008 02:26:07 AM »

LOL when I saw the ani ledodi I got sliiightly confused & thought you meant I am for my uncle  Roll Eyes  Silly me. LOL. Very nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008 04:22:38 AM »

That's gorgeous!

I have to ask tho <-- clueless

Is this like a wellknown symbol so that even non-Jewish people would enjoy?  Did the request this or is this just something a lot of pple like? Smiley  I'm sorry I just haven't ever seen this imagery or heard of the phrase Wink  thanks!

Well the Star of David is pretty well-known but I don't think the "ani l'dodi" phrase is as well-known as the star. But, as evidenced by the posts here, a lot of non-jewish folk have it engraved on wedding bands and such (come to think on it, FIL *does* have some hebrew on his wedding band, I wonder if it is this phrase... I've never asked). I personally had never heard of it until I came across this piece but I am rather fond of the sentiment behind it.

My inlaws didn't request it, I just saw it and *instantly* knew they'd like it. They're Christians and do a lot of missionary work in Israel so I guess that's why they're personally drawn to such things. They have a lot of jewish paraphernalia around their house (mezuzahs, menorahs, etc) so I knew it would fit right in. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008 04:27:57 AM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008 04:39:52 AM »

Ani L'Dodi is the most well-known quote from "Shir HaShirim", or "The Song of Songs", written by King Solomon in the language of a beautiful, romantic declaration between a husband and wife, as an allegory for the love between the people of Israel (the Jews) and Hashem.

It like the SOD is one of the more recognized items for Judaica.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008 05:14:42 AM »

Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

perianmellon
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008 05:32:23 AM »

The Ani L'Dodi is absolutely beautiful!  Now I have to figure out a way to make it for my live-in FDH before our wedding without ruining the surprise (though... he is a better stitcher than me... maybe I'll give him the kit  Wink). 

Since our rings will have "Ze Dodi Veze Re'ei" (This is my beloved and this is my friend) engraved on them, I really wanted to do something with Ani L'Dodi as well! Thank you for linking to the kit!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008 05:32:56 AM by perianmellon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008 06:06:10 AM »

Stunning work! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
thegracklegirl
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008 06:10:20 AM »

WOW! This is soooo beautiful! Very impressive work! Lucky inlaws to have such a thoughful daughter-in-law!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whateverjames
Dark Lord of the Stitch

Real Men Carry A Craft Bag!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008 06:12:24 AM »

Wow on both   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two things you should never be mad at: Those you can change and those you can not - Plato.

http://hanstitchedfirst.wordpress.com/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/whateverjames
SkyyAngel
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008 06:12:50 AM »

The kit also has the option to NOT do the personalization and just continues around the border with the phrase "I am my beloved's..." if anyone's interested in doing it that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008 07:08:41 AM »

Wow! Just plain gorgeous! Smiley I bookmarked this and wrote all sorts of notes so I can include at least some of this fascinating material into elements for my son's wedding next year. THANK YOU!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008 08:28:37 AM »

I am in awe of your Ani L'Dodi. I have the attention span of a two year old and I would never in a million years have the patience for... oooh a sparrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008 09:48:47 AM »

First off, wow! That's a lot of work.

The first piece is amazingly beautiful, and I especially like the photo of it in the frame.

And I really like the colors in the second piece - so many traditionally patriotic images are either blindingly bright red, white, and blue, or have almost washed out colors in an attempt to look old - this is something in between, and a bit more refreshing. Smiley

There's supposed to be the phrase "we hold these truths..." in the background but my cats ran off with the gold thread before I could do it. I wasn't really liking how it looked anyway so I'm happy with the way it turned out.

For any cat owners who aren't aware, thread can be deadly to cats - it can wrap around, block, or cut into the intestines or cause the intestines to bunch up, and can wrap around the tongue - and of course needles are an additional danger. Here are some first-hand stories on a quilt forum:
http://www.catswhoquilt.com/safety.html

My vet specifically told me to keep thread out of reach, especially since my cat is bad about eating anything and everything off the floor - the vet calls it "dietary indiscretion", which cracks me up. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
virsaq07
It's nice to be IMPORTANT but it's MORE important to be NICE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008 10:08:54 AM »

wow...those are really beautiful....how long did you take to finish both???...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you feel small and worthless, do something great - Help Someone in Need
visit me @
http://virsaq.etsy.com
http://indyacrafts.etsy.com
http://chez-vies.blogspot.com
SkyyAngel
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008 10:31:36 AM »

For any cat owners who aren't aware, thread can be deadly to cats - it can wrap around, block, or cut into the intestines or cause the intestines to bunch up, and can wrap around the tongue - and of course needles are an additional danger. Here are some first-hand stories on a quilt forum:
http://www.catswhoquilt.com/safety.html

My vet specifically told me to keep thread out of reach, especially since my cat is bad about eating anything and everything off the floor - the vet calls it "dietary indiscretion", which cracks me up. Cheesy

Don't worry about me... I keep a close eye on them with my crafty goods. Smiley I would've noticed if they were eating it. One has an "issue" with stuff like that but he's REEAAAALLLL slow about it and I can hear the little gnawing/sucking thing he tries to do with stuff like string and floss and get it away from him before he does anything with it (my husband claims I have "mom ears" for the cats... lol). Everything gets put away when I leave the house too. The other only eats food... hers, ours, other people's... it doesn't matter. By "run off with" I meant they batted it underneath the couch where I didn't find it until after I had taken it to the framers. Wink

wow...those are really beautiful....how long did you take to finish both???...

The L'Dodi piece was about 2.5 months of almost solidly working on it every day for at least 3-4 hours. My husband returned from deployment in the middle of making it though so I took a few days off to cook him dinners and go to the movies, etc.  Tongue

Patriotic Angel I did in about 2 years... I put her aside for a REALLY long time when I was about a 1/3 way through the background tent stitch and before I'd done the backstitching, tassels, etc. I would estimate she was really only about 3 weeks of actual work during that time though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008 10:33:34 AM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinab363
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008 11:08:53 AM »

The anniversary piece is simply stunning.  Love your patriotic angel too.  They are both lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grandbabies are called grandbabies because they are GRAND!
SciFunk
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008 11:25:41 AM »

Wow! I love the Ani L'Dodi one. I think I'm going to have to get that kit once I improve my cross-stitch. Amazing work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spookycookies
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008 11:39:18 AM »

Wow those are absolutely stunning!  I am almost crying just looking at the first one.  I got my husband a ring from Israel with the same thing inscribed in Hebrew for our anniversary, and he is also not Jewish. 

I really am in awe at how much work that must have taken, and how perfect it looks.  What a gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008 07:10:30 PM »

Simply amazing. Just breathtaking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamarose22
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008 03:36:58 PM »

Very, very impressive.  I wouldn't have the patience to do all that work.  I love the way the Ani L"Dodi came out.  It looks better than the picture of the kit.  This is now a valuable piece of artwork.  Of course the Patriotic Angel is lovely also. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
beelisty
bitchin' stitcher

* <3 *

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008 01:02:03 PM »

absolutely gorgeous-- i'm super enamored w/ the ani l'dodi piece-- i have that tattooed on my back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make my portrait patterns using PC Stitch.

let me listen to me & not to them.--gertrude stein

gallery: http://www.beelisty.com
blog: http://beelisty.wodpress.com
group blog: http://queercraft.wordpress.com
shop: http://epeolatry.etsy.com
missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008 10:02:30 PM »

These are both absolutely gorgeous!!!  You are so talented!!!!  I love them both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 5/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 3/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 4/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 1/7
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 9/19
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...