A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a mattress pad? Help?  (Read 602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2008 05:17:20 AM »

I'm considering making a mattress pad since I haven't seen any here and I need something.  Long story short, I have problem joints that dislocate when I sleep, but back in Canada when I had a pillow top mattress, and it was wonderful on my joints, so I'm thinking the extra padding on our spring mattress will help my joints.  It was 1 1/2" thick. The pillow top mattress I had in Canada had a linen cover, but I'm not positive on what the filling was made from. 

I would use plain sheeting on top and bottom and most likely use my sewing machine to quilt the top (I've done this before years ago and had no problems, but different machine.) 

I haven't yet started looking for quilt batting, although I know that at least one variety can be had here, and it's most likely polyester.  I would have to do a burn test to make sure. 

I would appreciate any suggestions y'all have.  I have quilted before, many times, using frames, hand-stitching, tying, and so on, so I'm not new to this. Smiley  I'm looking for practical suggestions of things to look out for, i.e., what properties of batting should I look for, how many layers will I likely need or how to figure that out.  I'm also seriously considering making two to layer on top of each other to reach the total thickness required since that would make laundering them easier.

I know, not your typical quilting question, but it seems to me that this is closer to quilting in that it's just a thicker quilt.  Or something.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008 06:26:35 AM »

the thing with mattress pads is that it's not really quilt batting that's in it - it's a high loft polyster batting in a lot of cases, sometimes with foam in the middle. In  your shoes, I'd probably just look at picking up one of these - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10073468 - the cost of fabric, padding, and foam is probably going to be about equivalent. That being said:

You'll want a really firm batting - something that is REALLY going to stand up and not squish down. This will be a challenge - I've yet to find something that doesn't go quite flat after just a few weeks. Hence, I might consider using a high density foam and then wrapping it in batting, for that soft feel (as opposed to just the foam). Of course, this will make the "quilting" difficult - might consider something more like tacking than quilting.

Really, I'd talk to your doctor to see what he/she reccommends - they may have more advice on what firmness, etc you need (A friend's husband has a similar problem to what you've described.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psycholupine
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008 02:01:56 PM »

I have one something like this:
http://www.foamorder.com/mattress_pads.html

They vary a lot in thickness, and price, but they work the best in my opinion. I don't think anything quilted would be dense enough to make much difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 01:39:28 AM »

It isn't possible to buy one here, hence the reason I'm thinking of making one.  Ordering one online to be shipped here also isn't feasible since, with shipping and handling charges, import taxes, bribes, and so on, it'll end up costing at least 2-3x as much when all is said and done.  Assuming it even arrives - the postal system here is not what I would call reliable!

anaximander, thank you for the description of what you find inside the mattress pad.  I'll see if I can find something similar here.

As for a doctor's recommendation - that's quite useless here.  I've yet to find a doctor who's even heard of what I have, never mind knows how to treat it.  Unfortunately.  I'm on my own.

Thank you for the comments.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008 10:42:59 PM »

Yeah.... i realized after that you said you were in sri lanka. That makes it a little hard.

What you're going to need is about a 2-3" thick piece of high density foam. The high density part is important - otherwise you're going to end up with a very squished mattress pad. Then wrap it in standard batting - either the polyester kind, or the warm & white one, whichever you prefer or can afford. Then cut out top and bottom and a long band for the side, and assemble. (it's gonna be pretty thick), and slide the batting and foam inside it, like a letter into an envelope, and stitch the top closed. then tack the cover onto the foam, either by hand or by machine (if it'll fit in the machine).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008 08:33:49 PM »

I'm thinking - if I can get the high density foam - that it'll probably be easier to attach the quilt batting to the envelope and slip the foam inside.  Less work, less worry about stitching into place, and easier to clean.  With a zipper running along one end for easy removal.  Alternately, depending on what kind of foam I find, it might come with a zippered cover already, in which case I might just make a separate layer of quilt batting.

Thanks for your comments.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The World of Philippa Gregory
Peter Akinti Talks About Forest Gate
Author Adena Halpern Reveals Her Favorite Movies
Author Peter Lerangis Offers Some Advice for Aspiring Writers
Rabbi Zoe Klein Talks About the Judaism
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...