A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: out with the new, in with the old! (so image heavy it'll buckle your knees)  (Read 2155 times)
Tags for this thread: converse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tellevator
dancefloor destroyer

punk rock arts'n'crafts since 1987

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2008 03:45:05 AM »

(firstly, if it's too image heavy I can lighten the load, sorry, I just had too much fun)

So my friend gave me some fake Converse low tops because I was too poor and picky to by my own (it's hard to find union-friendly, ethically made shoes under $80!)

They were brown and that was cool, it was something different but I'm not a brown type of gal.

The options really are endless so I threw some ideas around with a roommate, hauled my crafting arsenal to the front porch, brought out the stereo, coffee and cigarettes and started the transformation:

*gasp* white washing!  I ended up doing 2-3 layers for optimum opacity.

nothing says punk rock arts and crafts more than a palette ripped from a case of beer

Another one of my roommates joined me, apparently she'd been wanting to paint her shoes black for a long time too.  Then she got me to add the text to match my shoes.

(sorry for the silly sunglasses, I looked like I was on the dope) This is the best craftin' spot in East Van! 

There was an unfortunate spaz moment on my part that took a casualty with it.  It was an old skirt and could use some painting anyways.  Upon the professional layout sketching of the toes, I was greeted by a curious friend, probably wondering what a snail was doing on a shoe...

Many house guests, a few tacos and too many cigarettes later...

2 snails!
By now it was late evening and I had to go bake+decorate two cakes and partake in throwing a party so I finished them the next day because the snails were getting pretty lonely.

Basically, I've been drawing that cartoon snail for about 5 years now and yet a different roommate stick'n'poked it on my arm, I love the little critter.  Otherwise, I would have done something much more intense and elaborate than...

Worms 'n' dirt .. and sun!
Yeah I had planned to make them so "badass" and "punk rawk" and they just ended up being ridiculously cute.  Pretty much me in a nutshell  Cheesy

Oh yeah, the text that's on 'em too:

Keep Going!
See, snails are slow and steady but they get where they're going (unless they are hedonists and jump on the back of a turtle!).  I'd like to think the cute snail on the left is trying to see the gimpy snail on the right and both the wormies are trying to get to the surface to be picked up by a bird, eaten and then horked into the mouth of a baby bird.  The sun was just filler.  Metaphor, symbolism, simile, etc etc

Awkward Angle Cankles!

SOMEhow I forgot to take pictures of the dinosaurs I cut out of some random fabric I found in the basement and superglued to the tongues!  And I thought the close-up shot showed the detail on the worms 'n' dirt but it didn't.  It may look like it did but it didn't.

I also didn't use a fabric medium with the acrylic because I thought I had ran out but later found a whole unopened bottle.  Also found an aerosol gloss sealer in the living room and gave them a few coats of that. 
They're obviously a little stiffer and need to be traipsed around in, I'm hoping they'll get dirty and go to the colour of raw canvas but they'll probably just crack and I'll be glueing them together and repainting them forever.

phew, okay, done
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008 03:49:48 AM by tellevator - Reason: wrong picture » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RachelKristin
rude crude & tattooed

Vulgarity is my specialty

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008 10:05:27 AM »

wow, you did an awesome job! i love them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr page
http://rachelkristin.tumblr.com/

Check out my Etsy store to purchase some of my work!
http://rachelmckay.etsy.com

Do you Twitter? Follow me!
http://twitter.com/JigsawYouth

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelmckay/
onecraftybean

I sew, crochet and knit...a little.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008 10:30:42 AM »

Adorable!
I love your snails.
I want to go paint a pair of converse I've had for years and worn 2 or 3 times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beginning of school year resolutions: Granny-square blanket, scarf for the man, swimsuit bottoms, better organization for crafting supplies, computer case of some kind, 2 amigurumi and a pair of underwear.
TJDesigns
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008 03:07:23 PM »

so wait, what kind of paint did you use? just normal acrylic? how did you get it on without getting brush streaks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tellevator
dancefloor destroyer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 03:23:55 PM »

so wait, what kind of paint did you use? just normal acrylic? how did you get it on without getting brush streaks?
I just used regular cheap crafters acrylic.  With the fabric it just soaked up the paint and I don't know, I'm surprised there weren't too many brush streaks either, it just kinda slid on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockindancer86

$2.99 a gallon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008 10:59:50 AM »

Those are great! By the way, for union-made shoes under $80 check out http://www.nosweatapparel.com/index.html. Their stuff looks like converse which you've already got covered obviously, but it's good for future reference. And they have a lot of sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life-in-Japan, crafts, musings, etc blog here: "Gooooo Japan!" at http://www.rockindancer86.blogspot.com

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat? If they have will you teach me to chick-chick-chicky-boom, chick-chicky-boom?
tellevator
dancefloor destroyer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008 01:23:01 PM »

Those are great! By the way, for union-made shoes under $80 check out http://www.nosweatapparel.com/index.html. Their stuff looks like converse which you've already got covered obviously, but it's good for future reference. And they have a lot of sales.

dang, the all black ones are out of stock! actually I've looked for them in Vancouver and only one store carries them here well above website costs.  Somehow there's like 4 or 5 stores in Winnipeg that sell them and I'm going there next month and just put those two things together so hooray, thanks for reminding me!
The paint's already rubbing off on the rubber parts of these babies Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008 05:23:53 PM »

cute Smiley  I used to wear those black and white shoes when I was a little kid and this are a fun reminder of them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Makeup a Cat Nose
How to Do Cat Eyelashes Makeup
How to Do Cat Eyes in Makeup
How to Do a Cat Makeup Face
Handmade Portraits: Black-Eyed Suzie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...