A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: material for nursing pads?  (Read 754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karen09
« on: July 10, 2008 01:06:00 PM »

i know that there is one tutorial out there but to be honest i dont really understand it. so far i cut out circles from two recieving blanklets and i have this waterproof crib sheet thing. can i use that. i read that you can use t-shirt fabric. what fabrics are best? and how do i layer them? does the flannel crib sheet thing go on in the inside or is it the outside layer?
anyone who has made these please help. im sooo tired of paying for these things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.
Looking to swap for an old skeleton key!

also looking for a penpal, i want to make friends all over the world!!
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008 05:35:07 AM »

Using a waterproof layer is completely optional, some people do not recommend it because if you leak alot it can keep your nipples wet and crack, but then you end up with a wet top if you don't use it. So it's really up to your preferences.

I would recommend some scrap flannel or thin towelling for the absorbent layer and then a smooth flannel/old t-shirt etc for the outside - something nice and comfy basically. flannel is 100% cotton and usually really comfy so I like that.

cut your circles to the desired size and cut out a small wedge from each. Sew the wedge closed on each circle so they are a little domed (all the better to fit the breast but if you just want something quick, leave them as whole circles). Layer them as follows - the outside 2 fabrics, right sides together, then on one side stack the waterproof layer and whatever you are using for the inside. Sew around the circumference, leaving a small hole to turn the thing right side out. Turn out, stitch the hole closed and if you want to get fancy, topstitch around the circumference again to keep everything neat. Repeat for the extra oodles of pads you need and viola!

Bear in mind they need to be about 7cm/3 inches when finished so take that into consideration when cutting the shapes out. I was lucky and didn't really need them, but my plan was just to layer the whole circles together in the order I wanted and then zig zag stitch around the outside. No messing around or fanciness. Your personal preferences will tell you the best way to go.

Good luck and I really hope that made sense  Tongue. If you have any questions, let me know.

Edit: the waterproof sheet should be fine if it is thin enough to sew comfortably. I would suggest putting the waterproof layer just inside the outside cover otherwise it will probably scoot around in your bra as it's probably a slick material.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 05:37:34 AM by eternallyeve » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
karen09
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008 09:35:40 AM »

well actually the waterproof material isnt slick at all from either side, which made me question how its waterproof. i was planning on using a circle of the recieving blanket, two cotton pieces (the "waterproof" fabric) and then another blanket piece.

maybe i should test out one to see how its waterproof material. maybe they meant it would absorb the water keeping it from getting to the crib mattress?

btw, thanks alot eternallyeve. Smiley

so i tested the waterproof material and it doenst absorb the water it just holds it on the top layer. Could i use a fleece type of material? i feel bad cutting up more of my baby's blankets, even though she has like 15.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 09:45:05 AM by karen09 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008 11:26:38 PM »

No problems!

You can try microfleece, they use it for diapers so a little milk should be easy as pie. If you want to go nice and cheap and only plan to wash the pads in a regular wash (which should be fine) check out your local discount store for vinyl tablecloths. I use those things for everything and though alot of them are just a thin cheap plastic, some are quite sturdy. But regardless even the thin ones are waterproof and thin enough to sew and probably wear comfortably. Also, you can use PUL fabric, also for diapers but a little expensive and usually only available at specialty online stores.

I can understand not wanting to cut up more blankets. Pop down to the fabric shop and check out their fleece selection, it is usually in 150cm widths so you wouldn't need much at all. With a fleece you should be fine with two cotton pieces and the waterproof but if you go with flannel (op shops have flannel and cotton sheets for really cheap) you may need a few more layers.

Let me know how you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
karen09
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 10:06:52 PM »

so i ended up using supplies i had on hand. i cut up an old pair of velour track pants and used that. i layered two circles of recieving blanket, two of velour and one of that waterproof material. i tested them out and they work pretty well. ive only made a couple of pairs but i want to make more even though my mom insists im crazy.  Tongue i also finally bought some flannel. so ill make some with that too.

i feel so crafty and economical!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008 12:36:52 AM »

Way to go! I think it's more crazy to keep buying the disposables Tongue that's why I am in the process of making cloth diapers - I am sick of throwing money away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...