A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what's your favorite dumpling recipe?  (Read 2211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: July 12, 2008 01:33:23 PM »

I like to make dumplings in big batches and freeze them for quick meals later on.  So far I've only made pork/shrimp won tons, but these one's look pretty yummy, too.

Do you have a favorite dumpling recipe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hearts Need A Beat
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008 06:56:08 PM »

Oooh I've never tried making these, but they sound good! I'll let you know if I find any good recipes. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention college kids, stay at home moms, and anyone else who could stand to make a little easy extra money:
PM me about ChaCha. I swear, it's not an ad. I just saved myself on bills with this, and thought I'd try & help =]

Obama/Biden 2008!
flyangler
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008 11:16:46 AM »

Ohh, yes, I agree that that pea dumpling sounds very enticing in summer!

My fave:

Turkey Tofu Dumplings

1lb ground turkey
1lb tofu, mashed with a fork
1/2 C. minced green onions or chives
1tsp to 1Tbs salt - to taste
Wanton or dumpling wrappers

Fill each wrapper with a spoonful of filling (how much filling depends on the size of your wrapper). Moisten one edge of wrapper and fold over filling to seal. Steam, boil or fry until turkey is no longer pink.

These can also be wrapped in bean curd sheet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008 11:30:49 AM »

My favorite has ground pork, nappa cabbage, shitake mushrooms, ginger, and garlic. Sorry I don't have a recipe, I just approximate. This combo has great flavor.

I've also made curry dumplings, using leftovers. Just take your favorite curry dish, spoon out the meat and veggies but not all the sauce and use that as a filling. So yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 01:12:45 PM »

I'm Czech, so I know dumplings really well. Cheesy All of these recipes use "rough" flour - I wonder what it's called in English? Simply, here in the Czech Republic there are 3 kinds of wheat flour: the soft kind used for white pastry and desserts, the middle-rough type used in most recipes and the "rough" one used mostly for dumplings. It's softer than wholegrain.

My absolute favourite is haluky, which is actually a Slovakian recipe.
It's very simple: grate raw potatoes (to get tiny "noodles", not the bigger ones), get rid of the juice if there's too much of it, add salt and mix with flour until it's compact dough. It's always very sticky, don't add too much flour to get rid of that! It would get too hard. You just want it to keep together. Make tiny dumplings and cook in salted water.
There are two ways of creating the dumplings: either you have the special tool I have - it's like a colander with big holes - mine is very similar to this one: http://pabjan.files.wordpress.com/2006/08/30082006001.jpg - so if you have it, you put some dough into it, scrape it with wooden spoon above the boiling water and the dumplings create themselves. Well, not really, actually it's quite an ordeal... Or you put the dough on a wooden plate and cut off small pieces - dumplings - with a teaspoon.
Traditionally it's served with brynza (= Slovakian sheep cheese) and fried bacon. My family, and maybe even others, added fried onion to the mix. Or with sauerkraut. But you can experiment with the topping. I ate it with another kind of cheese and some sausages in Bratislava, and it was just as awesome as with brynza.

Potato dumplings
Another favourite in my family. It's almost the same as haluky, except that first you cook the potatoes, than mash them and mix with flour and a bit of salt. I don't know the exact proprotions, but it usually differs with the different kinds of potatoes anyway. The dough should be consistent, but not too firm (the same as with adding too much flour to haluky). Form balls (smaller are better - maybe 3 cm in diameter) and cook them in salted water for 10 - 12 min, or, until they come to the surface (general rule with dumplings - although sometimes they get stuck at the bottom).
The favourite topping in my family is: cut onion to tiny cubes and fry on grease or oil until golden. You can fry it together with pieces of sausage or other smoked meats.
You can also make filled potato dumplings - for example, filled with scrambled eggs. Yummy! These can be bigger, because there's a thinner layer of the dough.

Sweet cottage cheese dumplings with fruit
I posted about them on my blog recently - http://marmota-b.blog.cz/0807/tvarohove-knedliky-sweet-dumplings But here's the recipe anyway:
30 dkg flour
15 dkg cottage cheese (although I'm not sure if the Czech kind is exactly what's usually called cottage cheese in English... when you make it at home, you let milk curdle naturally, then put it into a kerchief over a bowl or something; the liquid part flows away and tvaroh is what remains above after a day or so, without adding anything to it)
1/8 l milk
1 egg
5 dkg butter
salt
Make dough, roll out on floured surface, cut to squares approximately 6 x 6 cm. Fill with fruit (cherries, strawberries, apple halves or quarters...) and close carefully (eventually roll in your hands into balls). Cook in salted water as previously described.
Did you notice? These actually aren't sweet. It's the topping that is.

There's also a leavened dough version of fruit potatoes (sometimes called blbouny, but don't use that name very often, because it can also be an insult Grin). I've never tried it myself, but here's the recipe as I found it in an old handy cookbook of ours (the cottage cheese dumplings recipe also comes from there):
3/8 kg flour
1 1/2 dkg yeast
2 dcl milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 of the milk is used for preparing the yeast, together with sugar (2 teaspoons?) and 2 spoons of flour

Cook the dumplings for 5 - 8 min.

(This is absolutely off topic: when I was trying to get the terminology for cottage cheese, I stumbled upon this: http://www.piens.lv/eproducts_curdsnacks.html  If you ever visit Latvia, or even find it somewhere else, as they claim to export to the USA, try it! Those are the yummiest yummiest sweets under the sun. In Lithuania there's something similar sold under the name of Karvute, but there's also Karvute the toffee candy... both are wonderful, anyway.)

And then there are the Lithuanian cepelinai. Those are really special, because you use potatoes only for the dough. It's time consuming and so tasty! And quite filling. We got the recipe from a lady in a bookstore in Trakai, so here I'm sending many many thanks to her, although she'll probably never read it...

Potatoes - 1/3 cooked, 2/3 raw. Eventually additional amyloid if there's not enough of it in the potatoes.
Salt the cooked potatoes slightly and mash them.
Grape the raw ones (just like for haluky), squeeze the juice out to a bowl and let it be until the amyloid settles at the bottom. We used a kerchief / teatowel / something like that for the squeezing. Pour out the juice carefully and put the amyloid back to the raw potatoes.
Mix the two potato portions together.

Filling: minced meat, 1 or 2 eggs, salt, onion cubes, spices according to your liking (as I remember, we put there thyme and it was really good, but you really have to make sure there are no places where there's too much of it.)
Or any other filling you'd like to use.
We also ate it with a sauce, but I don't remember how we made it... I only know there was onion and cream.

The potatoes are formed like this: make flat circles the size of your palm, put the filling in the middle and create round dumplings, a bit longer than thicker and a bit thinner at one end. They resemble zeppelins and that's where their name comes from. Wink

Cook slowly for 20 - 30 min. !!!If you boil them hard, they'll come apart!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
marmota-b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008 01:25:44 PM »

BTW, the filled fruit dumplings are perfect for a mom with children. Mom prepares the dough and the children will rush to make the dumplings. Cheesy At least if the children are like us.
Although, if the children are like us, they'll always put in a bit less fruit than possible and the additional dough will find its way into their mouths. Really, there's nothing quite like raw cottage cheese dumpling dough. I don't know what's so special about it, but it is special.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeesaLove
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008 01:27:18 PM »

I LOVe amking dumplings. using wanton wrappers any of the following for fillings.

ground lean turkey, browned & seasoned wiht chineese 5 spice, shredded carrot, shredded broccoli stem.

ground beef seasoned wiht lots of roasted garlic, oregano, basil & salt & ppepr mixed with tiny diced potoato & a littler mozz cheese.

ground beef & or pork with chili powder, garlic powder & cumin, a little cheddar cheese. I like these with leettuce & tomato  like an inside out taco thing. put down a lutel leaf, some diced tomoato & top with a dumpline wrap lettuce & crunch & munch!

scrambled egg, diced baccon.

cooked sausage diced up with any shrdded veggies that work.

mix equal parts dried fruit & nuts, grind in food proceccer. them mix 3 parts of that to 1 part chocolate  fill dumplings & bake or fry.  A little chocolate goes a long way. I prefer a semi sweet chips.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008 07:49:43 AM »

Just a note on Marmota-B's recipe: E. European cottage cheese is most closely approximated in the US with "farmer's cheese." I would maybe suggest white whole wheat flour to replace the "rough" flour (in German I believe this is called "griffig").

Marmota - I am Latvian, although I don't live there. Those Kārums treats are incredibly good! We are fortunate to be able to get a version of them in the Chicago area where there are a lot of E. Europeans. Thanks for the recipes - made me hungry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachael24
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008 08:43:27 AM »

I like whatever is in the Chinese Buffet Line Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All I want are chocolate gifts for any occasion.
marmota-b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008 12:14:37 AM »

Just a note on Marmota-B's recipe: E. European cottage cheese is most closely approximated in the US with "farmer's cheese." I would maybe suggest white whole wheat flour to replace the "rough" flour (in German I believe this is called "griffig").

Marmota - I am Latvian, although I don't live there. Those Kārums treats are incredibly good! We are fortunate to be able to get a version of them in the Chicago area where there are a lot of E. Europeans. Thanks for the recipes - made me hungry!

Farmer's cheese! Thanks, that will definitely be helpful if I ever try to explain it to an American again. Smiley

Kārums is better than ice cream. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fast Path to Bee-Stung Lips
Bizarre Beauty Trend: Bleach Facials
On-the-Go Glam
Sneak Peek: Birchbox February 2014
6 Makeup Tricks Perfect for Date Night
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...