A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Canning Apricots  (Read 5963 times)
Tags for this thread: canning  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2008 01:11:23 PM »

I been canning me behind off, 20 quarts organic apricots in light honey syrup and 45 pints organic honey apricot butter. Props to my son for having pity on his mom and peeling thousands for me.
 We like the butter more then the apricot halves thats why we made so much. We use the butters, for apricot chicken, fillings in cakes, bbq sauce, smoothies, turnovers and gifts. I still have half a tree to go mercy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
MissTessaMelissa
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008 01:21:45 PM »

wow. That is alot of canning! The butter sounds really yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008 01:27:45 PM »

Oh my... that is a) a LOT. And b) sounds delicious. And c) makes me insanely jealous... One day I will have fruit trees! Just have to...um... graduate college first...and get a house somewhere...xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
SomeArtFabric
Art Mama Extra Ordinary

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008 01:35:36 PM »

Canning is hard work. I missed peaches this year at my mom's but I will be in on the apples. We do a lot of apple sauce and apple butter. It makes great gifts although this time a year when we are running low there is some generally regret that we were so generous with our friends last holiday. Oh and figs... I can't wait for the figs to come in. mmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool Fabrics & Fun Patterns
http://www.someartfabric.com/
Newest projects and ideas:
http://someartfabrictalk.blogspot.com/
Photography
http://someart.com
ladyquestra

I am my intention trapped in flesh and bone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008 01:38:23 PM »

Um...YUM!  You know, if for some reason you think you might have just too much I am sure some of us Crafsters would be willing to help you out.... Grin  No seriously, kudos to you and your son, I never have that much patience in the kitchen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and do what you want, because those who matter don't care and those who care don't matter.
~Dr. Suess
2many58
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008 01:44:58 PM »

You could always sell some of those yummy fresh tree ripened apricots at the farmer's market so you don't have to can them all.  I wish I lived where apricots grew. . . those hard rocks in the supermarket with an apricot skin and pit, just don't ever taste like the ones off our tree when I was a kid.

Good job on the canning. It's a bunch of work and my Gramma didn't peel hers.  Although I remember how much time peeling peaches and tomatoes took, although she blanched them first.  Peeling makes even more time in the kitchen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me crafting always equals cold coffee.  *L*
Good thing I like it that way. 
2 many crafts started, need finished.
58 needs a few 0's added.  *s*
Nikobee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008 01:51:10 PM »

What a beautiful sight!  Not something you see much any more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diesels_Mom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008 02:02:56 PM »

Canning is hard work. I missed peaches this year at my mom's but I will be in on the apples. We do a lot of apple sauce and apple butter. It makes great gifts although this time a year when we are running low there is some generally regret that we were so generous with our friends last holiday. Oh and figs... I can't wait for the figs to come in. mmm
I adore fresh figs, I just ordered 2 trees I wasn't sure how well they did in az, the nursery says they do great I cant wait. I have 4 peach trees but they aren't ripe for another month, at least I hope. It is hard work but so worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
Diesels_Mom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008 02:07:13 PM »

You could always sell some of those yummy fresh tree ripened apricots at the farmer's market so you don't have to can them all.  I wish I lived where apricots grew. . . those hard rocks in the supermarket with an apricot skin and pit, just don't ever taste like the ones off our tree when I was a kid.

Good job on the canning. It's a bunch of work and my Gramma didn't peel hers.  Although I remember how much time peeling peaches and tomatoes took, although she blanched them first.  Peeling makes even more time in the kitchen.
I have thought of that esp. when my peaches come in I have so many. Hmmm my Granny always peeled hers I may try not peeling them cause thats the part that really sucks even with the blanching and slipping the peel off it is still hot work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008 03:37:29 PM »

They look great! Care to share any of those recipes (when you're not up to your eyebrows in apricots)?  Smiley

We planted a tart cherry tree four years ago.  It was just this year that the cherries started getting big enough to pick.  By the time the cherries were ready, I got *6* cherries off the tree due to birds.   Roll Eyes   Definitely going to have to try something other than netting next year (maybe aluminum pie plates).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008 03:38:34 PM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fun Filled Chilli Recipe
Newport Fried Chicken Recipe
Beef Pot Pie Recipe
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Halibut Skewers
Baja Style Fried Lobster Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...