A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for Table Decorations?  (Read 1757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WildSnowflake
« on: February 10, 2004 02:53:26 PM »

I am in charge of decorating a major fundraising dinner event for a foodbank. Each year is a different theme... this year it's "Gold Rush" (as in Levi's, gold nuggets, etc). I need to come up with some ideas for the table toppers (they can't be more than $7 each)... any ideas?

The table seat about 8 people and the colors are bluejean blue, bandana red, and of course gold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004 03:17:16 PM »

i don't think you could do this for less than $7 a table, but you could give this a shot.

get hollow glass dishes and fill them with sand. in the middle of the dish, put in like, a small cactus. then, take some spray paint and a few random rocks, and paint the rocks gold, and plop a few in each dish.

but hey, i'm just thinking off the cuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004 03:55:22 PM »

Oriental Traders:      www.oriental.com
has bandans:  blue & red $8.95 doz (each color seperate) Also bandana tableware (plates, etc) Just search for "bandanda"
They have bags of gold nuggets $8.95 a dozz (search for "gold nugget")
They alos have bags of gold nugget gum  $12.95 a dozz (GOLD MINE GUM) & gold wrapped chocolte coins (CHOCOLATE GOLD COINS)  $11.95 for 24 bags
They also have a few diff styles of cowboy hats
maybe lay a bandana on the table & a pile of a 3 of the bags of gum & scatter the gold coins.
Or  a cowboy hat upside down  with the bandana inside to line  filled wiht "gold" nuggets (rocks spray painted)
Good luck... & please let us know what you do!

Julie

PS >>> this is cut & pasted from an e mial form Orientla Traders:
Order online by 11:59 p.m. CT, February 24, 2004, and get free standard shipping on your purchase of $60 or more, within the contiguous U.S. Shop any link in this email, or enter key code WC42713 during checkout. This offer is not valid on purchases made with any other offers.

Oh hey ... I just thought of this too ...
You could get old jeans cheap from the thrift store & cut them up...use the farbic rather than bandans  or use kids jeans  like in this post:
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=622;start=msg3198#msg3198

« Last Edit: February 10, 2004 06:42:35 PM by TinySoapyBubbles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildSnowflake
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004 06:39:46 AM »

Thanks... great minds... We rely heavily on the god known as Oriental Trading  Kiss Didn't see the gum in my catelogue... That'll be great as a giveaway. I'm also going to have tons of gold glitter and votives on the tables to fill up some space. A cactus would be fun... That way, they would take it home (Although you wouldn't believe the stuff that people want to take home, just because it's free...)

We're in the midst of collecting old jeans to cut up and use as an accent overlay on the tables...

I have 90 tables to deal with (30 with each color) plus the auction area tables so easy-peasy is how I want to go.

~WS
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004 03:25:22 PM »

If it is for a non profit you may be able to get a florist or nursery to donate cacti (that is the plural of catus  right??!!)
Try HomeDepo, nurserys, florits  target...etc they may donate in exchange for a lil free advertising in the program.

Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tracey
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004 09:16:47 PM »

you know those "gel thingys" (great help I know!) Um lets see.... they start out as being dry, like thick salt, and when you wet them..... they expand? if you could somehow color those with a non-flammible yellow color (maybe food color?) you could put them in glass dishes/bowls, (I think they'd look like gold nuggets!) and add a tea light! Voila! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Volume Browser in Lightroom 2
Working Efficiently with Presets in Lightroom 2
Local Correction in Adobe Lightroom
How to Extend Depth of Field in CS4
How to Crop in Photoshop CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...