A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,435
Currently Running With Scissors:
331 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: East Indian Themed bedroom??  (Read 6980 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 11, 2008 08:03:03 PM »

Okay, so I know I am moving out in a year for college, and so I want to decorate with things that aren't necessarily permanent.  I know I want an East Indian themed room, I don't know how to describe it other than I want it to look like it's come straight out of one of those bright colourful buddha pictures.  I was thinking for a mural I could just paint this huge paper I have and then roll it up when I move.  I also want to get a chandelier (a CHEAP one) and paint it different colours and hang beads from it... but what else?  Thank you!
Something Sparkly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 10:35:30 AM »

lots of pillows in gorgeous colors.. you can also take fabric and staple gun it to 1/4" trim and tack that up on the walls to cover it (as an option to the paper) you might also think about doing the mural on a bedsheet or something and hanging that so it would be easier to transport later.. the paper might rip easily.

You can get a good Indian look just with the textiles... you can also see if you can find some sari fabric and drape it around for additional touches.

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 02:30:30 PM »

My sister has done a British/ Indian thing with her cute little studio, and she's used bright colored tissue paper in some of the windows (for privacy, as her place is right by a busy street), also a few lush potted plants, dark colored wood furniture (think thrift stores, garage sales, etc) and pretty colorful candles in interesting candle-holders.  Maybe a cool Buddha or Ganesh statue, if you can find it.

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 08:27:29 PM »

ooo thank you, the bed sheet thing is a really good idea! I was worried about the paper riping!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008 09:04:10 PM »

You can get vintage sari's cheep on ebay!  and there is so much fabric there.  great for curtians and even to piece togather as a bedspread.  I have bought a few sari's on ebay and plan on a similar theam for my bedroom when I finish with the rest of the house but I am doing it through in my entire house.  Sari fabric is just beautiful.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008 08:01:17 PM »

Try looking for things from CostPlus World Market (don't let the name fool you, a lot isn't very cheap- although accessories are) or just to get inspiration. They have things from India (I have a bag made out of a sari) and their furniture is beautiful.

Lots of sair-like fabric for pillows and remember to use bright colors. Orange is a common favorite (my best friend is from India). If you have any specific questions about India you can ask me and I'll ask him for you.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...