A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selling advice please  (Read 484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

latsyrc_17
« on: July 11, 2008 01:38:36 PM »

I just started making jewelry a few days ago so I'm extremely new at this.
I bought the basic materials and have made a few things now. I'd like to sell my jewelry to my friends and their friends and get the word out that way.
But since I'm so new and I feel like my stuff is still very amateur, I have no idea how to price it!
Could you seasoned jewelry makers give me some advice on how much I should sell this stuff for?

Here's a link to the things I've made so far:

Thanks in advance!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012 01:31:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamsonotcool
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008 07:16:14 AM »

this may not be helpful at all but...
when im making something new and im not sure how it will go over or how i can improve on quality control and comfort, i usually give it away to my closest and most verbal friends.  you know the friend who always tells you when you have a booger in your nose.  that way, if it has a crappy clasp problem or what not she will be the one to tell you how to make it better.  and also when she wears it people will ask where she got it and then up goes your sales Smiley  hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i am fortified with calcium and enriched with vitamin d
Hltrskltr
"I've got a...muscle cramp." "In your pants?" "It's a thing!"

Slayer, The. She who hangs out in graveyards.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008 10:44:30 AM »

I would suggest first taking your stuff to an expert on jewelry, like a jeweler or something, just to make sure they're suitable for sale.
I say this because the first time I wanted to sell my jewelry, I took the stuff to a local store who had expressed interest in selling them on consignment, and the lady (quite rudely, actually) said that my jewelry was "unsafe and easily breakable," and to prove her point, she picked up one of my earrings and broke it. It was an unpleasant experience, but I learned from it, and worked on making my jewelry more sturdy.
anyway, just thought you might want to check that out before you sell.
good luck!
by the way, your jewelry looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008 04:57:55 AM »

Those pics are really hard to see, but as far as I can tell they look OK; very simple in form, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're wearing it and you know they won't fall apart (that's quite a story above!) after buying and you like them yourself, chances are someone else will like them, too.

The simplicity issue will come into play here, along with the fierce jewelry competition out there; basically when you have very simple stuff, it can't be priced very high; maybe $8 for the earrings and $12-15 for the necklaces, depending on the number of beads.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

latsyrc_17
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 01:39:39 AM »

Thanks for the great advice CraftyChef! That's kind of the price range I was thinking too because yes, my stuff is very simple but I like it.  Smiley

I'm glad you like it Hltrskltr! I stopped by a bead store yesterday and the lady that was helping me gave me some generous compliments on my necklace (the first one show in the pictures). She has been selling jewelry for 5 years now, so I think my pieces will be okay. But I wear them when I go out just to make sure they don't fall apart and that they're comfortable!  Wink

iamsonotcool, I know exactly what you mean about that one friend that's always completely honest! I'm going over to my friend's house tomorrow to show her some of my stuff and see what she thinks. Great idea! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art of VIBE: Street Artist Ders Adds Color To Shoreditch
Art of VIBE: Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada Scales Down For London Wall
Art of VIBE: Chor Boogie & His Street Romantic Voodoo Modern Hieroglyphics
Artwork Stolen From Cuban Museum Worth $1.5 Million
Bristol Street Art Tours
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...