A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you find out the age of a machine?  (Read 458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rainbowmeow
« on: July 11, 2008 09:42:36 AM »

So I bought a Wards UHT J1276 a few years ago, and it didn't come with anything.  I have found a place to buy a manual (sewusa), but I just wondered how to tell its age without it.  My estimate is sometime before the 70s, based on the look of it.  Is there somewhere online that could tell me a little more about it?  I googled for hours and came up with nothing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008 11:22:26 AM »

How heavy is it? Heavy machines are usually older -- they have steel motors. Lighter, newer machines have alluminium motors.

Old steel motors are nearly indestrucable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
rainbowmeow
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008 11:56:43 AM »

Very very heavy.  I know that it is old, probably at least 40 years.  I just wondered if there is some place online that you could find out what models came out in which year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008 08:18:07 AM »

A general clearinghouse of all brand info I don't know but most manufacturers do have that info burried somewhere on their sites on in the original paperwork/ manuals.

invention-1930's machines were the curvy narrow armed black cast iron style, often with gold paint. Sometimes wodden knobs, often beautiful wood cases or cabinets. Portable machines were produced in the same numbers as cabineted ones, many pre-1900 machines are tiny & could be mistakent for toys.

1930's- 40's brough about the first aluminum housings and the occasional Bakelite housing (rare & valuble). Aluminum had to be painted but unlike iron, could be painted nearly any color. Hospital Green & Industrial Beige were actually popular colors for appliances then, so many machines of this era are in those colors along with ivory & sometimes white. Wheels, knobs & cams in hard rubber are pre-WWII, Bakelite & Plastic are post WWII. These machines are often trimmed with chrome accents & curvy Art Deco shaped arms. Think of the cars in any Al Capone movie- same style.

The 50's lightened up the colors a lot, more light weight machines (in comparison to earlier models anyway- still heavier than today) and the first all plastic housings and some all plastic machines. Very few of the early all plastic machines even exist because of the age/ UV damage, they have pretty much all disintigrated. Case style wise they still retained chrome trims but became more boxy & angular (think of big finned cars of the 50's)

In the 60's plastics technology improved greatly & lots of great 60's machines with metal gearing & plastic housings are around & in use today. Late 60's brought out the Avacado Green & floral printed ones leading into the 70's. Chrome trim went away, case colors remained in style. Angular cases became more boxy.

Late 70's early 80's nearly every machine produced was plain unadorned white plastic case. 2001 A Space Odyssey was a hit & Modernism ruled in appliances. Some machines were produced with Nylon gears, which turned out to be a very bad idea.

Early 80's-present: more molded forms case-wise. Ergonomics are coming back into play with better light, button & atatchment placement. And of course, the first computerized home model sewing machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbowmeow
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008 10:23:35 AM »

That's a lot on info.  I wish I knew half of that!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008 12:56:51 PM »

Smiley Now if I could only find people to pay me for all this random knowledge I'm carrying around in my head...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbowmeow
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008 08:41:29 PM »

So an update on the machine... I went to Gall Sewing (a place my mom has always taken her machines) to see if they might know anything about the machine, or if they could get their hands on a manual, just to save me the time of ordering online.  Well, they are not very helpful.  Actually, they were very rude, pretty much barked at me that they didn't have anything.  So I went back online and apparently SewUSA does not have the exact model number that I need.  It's one number off.  What other resources are there? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trending Lipstick Shades for Fall
Younique Mood Struck Mineral Pigments Review
No Eres Nada Sin Maquillaje - Laura Sánchez
Runway to Real Way Beauty
Carolina Herrera Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...