A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flat Stanley's Paper Bag Travel Scrapbook (Photo Heavy)  (Read 5504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: July 11, 2008 08:25:02 AM »

Hiya all! A few months ago my cousin sent me her Flat Stanley project since I'm the only one in the family that lives so far away from home (Italy). I made her a fabulous (if I do say so myself) travel scrapbook as a keepsake of "her" time spent with me.  Wink

For those not in the know, Flat Stanley is a children's book about a little boy who accidentally gets squished flat by a billboard. He then sets off an on travel adventure by mailing himself to California IIRC. A lot of classrooms are doing these as projects, making photocopies of Flat Stanley (or in this case a photocopy of Flat Stanley colored to look like themselves -- Flat Caitlin in my case) and mailing them off to friends and family all over the US and the world. It's then our turn to take some photos, write a journal/letter or even send back small souvenirs from their travels such as state quarters, stamps, you name it! It's such a fun, fun project and I'm excited to have been a part of it.

Luckily, Flat Caitlin arrived a few weeks before my husband and I went on a "Grand Tour" of our most coveted travel destinations in Europe.  Tongue  Unfortunately, by the time we got back, school was almost over so I had to rush and put this together so the post could get it back in time. So if you think it looks like crap, that's why and has no bearing on my actual scrapbooking "skillz".  Grin

Without further ado, here's the pics and descriptions (attempting clickable thumbnails)!

Cover made with pre-cut letters and fabric flowers held on with small-button brads. I colored a plain set of letters to look like flags of the countries we visited. E - EU
U - Italy
R - England
O - world/globe look
P - Ireland
E - France

You can click on the thumbnails to see the journaling quite clearly so I won't waste space repeating it here. It's written to sound okay when read outloud to a class of 1st graders so pardon the "obvious" questions and bad grammar.  Cheesy  I also supplement photos with postcards a lot in my scrapbooking, which is kind've obvious with this project. Some postcards are double-sided and "hinged" to hide journaling or MORE POSTCARDS!!  Cheesy

First Stop - ENGLAND!

All the pockets held paper "tags" with even MORE photos. The first pocket held Flat Caitlin. Pardon the flash on the photo paper, those bright circles aren't in the original photos in the scrapbook.

Next Stop: IRELAND!

And finally, FRANCE!

Thanks for looking!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heimlich
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008 08:36:20 AM »

I love it!
And I love Flat Caitlin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---Claudia---
robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008 08:44:45 AM »

Wow! What an awesome cousin you are! And I'm totally jealous of your travels!!! And you live in Italy? Sheesh! Lucky girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
SkyyAngel
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008 08:55:20 AM »

Thanks! I also included small linen goodie bags for all of her classmates (thank God there were only 15). Inside each one I had a small Eiffel Tower keychain (6 for 5 Euro!) and some leftover British change. I tossed in a small Venetian mask for teacher too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lurv2knit
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008 09:52:41 AM »

Oh boy! Great idea to send Flat Caitlin home with her own scrapbook. She's lucky to have such a cool and crafty cousin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bold_as_love

"Adventure is out there." -Up

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008 11:25:17 AM »

this is absolutly adorable!!! I love every page!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adventure is out there."
kacadea
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008 01:54:15 PM »

That book is amazing!!  You are so thoughtful to send all the souvenirs, too!!  Great job  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with Perspective
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Straighten with the Measure Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Automate Crop and Straighten
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with the Marquee Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...