A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: For Bento-enthusiasts and newbies! (kind of long + now with pics!)  (Read 11596 times)
Tags for this thread: bento , salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ProngsBaby
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008 06:36:24 AM »

I have tons of books(book junkie...yes) on making healthy box lunches for my boys..so next school year thats what they are bringing..

with the rising cost of school lunches and 2 kids in school I cant imagine doing another year..

they have the containers..might as well use them..I think what we are missing is having an awesome thermos..

Yeah a lot of health enthusiasts love bentos because they are great for portion control. Good nutrition never goes out of style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She's like a millionaire, walking on imported air- Blondie

Check out "The Empty Pocket Blog" !
www.emptypocketblog.blogspot.com
rustyfern

THIMBLES ARE FOR PUSSIES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008 10:31:22 PM »

i recently discovered a sweet website called http://bentotv.com with simp1e
vide0 tips that r ab0ut a minute l0ng i think =) h0wever u may need 2 insta11
Quicktime in 0rder 2 watch them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 10:34:38 PM by rustyfern » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimberly_Star
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008 11:28:57 AM »

ProngsBaby:  Thanks so much for the info.  I'm currently trying to eat healthier meals and I think Bentos would be a great way to do it.  Your info is better than pretty much anything I've found on google so far.  I'm hoping to start "bento-ing" in the next few weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hecate621

Knitting my way out of boredom.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008 05:57:33 PM »

I'm a newbie to bento, but I've learned a few things.

www.lunchinabox.net  is a great site. It's run by a woman who lived in Japan for 10 years, and now makes bento for her kids. She has some neat recipes, and time saving tricks.
She also has a bento store locator. You may be able to find a store in your area.

As far as supplies - http://www.ichibankanusa.com/ is THE cheapest place to get things. Jbox has a lot of these, but for slightly higher prices. However, the boxes you get are lower-end ones. If you want something nicer, you'll have to pay more. If you just want to try bento, and don't want to pay a whole lot.. you can easily buy everything you'd ever need, plus extra for 20$ at this store.
If you're in the SF bay area, check it out. It's the Japanese dollar store. You'll find everything from 89 cent pocky to bento, to toys. I could spend hours in this place!

Spacial thinking is your friend. Attack every bento as if it were a game of tetris and you're golden.

Bento boxes are SMALL. VERY SMALL.
Most boxes hold somewhere around 250-450 mL. An average male in their 30's should have a 900 mL box. My first thought when I saw these in the store was that there was no way I could fit enough food in there to make my guy full, but you'd be surprised. Most Americans don't eat proper portions anyway.

Pay attention to what you're cooking. If the person eating it doesn't have access to a fridge and won't be eating it for a few hours, don't place foods that will spoil quickly in there.
There are certain antibacterial foods that help keep down the growth of nasties on your lunch. If in doubt, don't  pack it. If you live in a warmer climate, over spice your foods. Use spices like garlic, which is nature's #1 antibiotic.

This is just what I've found so far, if I find out anything new, I'll post. Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010 06:49:47 PM by MareMare - Reason: to update url » THIS ROCKS   Logged

So he finds her in a sprawl,
woven deep in memories revisited and reworked.
The scars get covered up with cherry blossoms that never felt as soft as this.
Kimberly_Star
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008 06:07:45 PM »

Thanks for the info, Hecate.  I'm definitely going to do more research before starting.  Plus, I live in the boonies of West Texas (hour to Wal-Mart - 2.5 to 3 hours to a craft store/mall/decent restaurant), so all my stuff will be packed in tupperware until I can get supplies online.  I think the greatest appeal to me is the Japanese roots (I'm 1/4 Japanese) and the portion-control.  I'm working hard to lose a lot of weight in the next year or so, however long it takes, and I'm well-aware that my portions can be out of control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hecate621

Knitting my way out of boredom.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008 08:03:54 PM »

I hear you on the weight thing. Portion control is the best way. I wound up losing somewhere around 60lbs and 7 dress sizes just by eating 4 or 5 small meals a day instead of 3 "normal" ones.
When in doubt, use your palm. Most nutritionists I've spoken to say the same thing, a portion for an average adult should be the size of your palm for every food group. (Ie, one palm meat, one palm bread etc) Obviously you should have more servings of specific foods like veggies.
Don't forget fiber. Bento is great for this because although it's mainly rice, a food rich in fiber as well as potassium.

If you get a chance to come to the bay area, check out Japantown. There are so many shops, markets and places to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So he finds her in a sprawl,
woven deep in memories revisited and reworked.
The scars get covered up with cherry blossoms that never felt as soft as this.
ProngsBaby
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008 07:49:37 AM »

Thanks for the info, Hecate.  I'm definitely going to do more research before starting.  Plus, I live in the boonies of West Texas (hour to Wal-Mart - 2.5 to 3 hours to a craft store/mall/decent restaurant), so all my stuff will be packed in tupperware until I can get supplies online.  I think the greatest appeal to me is the Japanese roots (I'm 1/4 Japanese) and the portion-control.  I'm working hard to lose a lot of weight in the next year or so, however long it takes, and I'm well-aware that my portions can be out of control.

There are some really great bento blogs out there. There are even live journal communities, although, the bentos I've seen on there are not really good examples...alas.

cooking cute (www.mmmbento.livejournal.com) and lunch in a box are also good sources!

ah I'm 1/4 Japanese as well!

When I look at the price of food and the size of many bento containers...I'm not suprised how tiny Japanese women are...O.O
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008 01:48:25 PM by ProngsBaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

She's like a millionaire, walking on imported air- Blondie

Check out "The Empty Pocket Blog" !
www.emptypocketblog.blogspot.com
FiberDogs
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008 01:47:47 PM »

check out jlist.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008 04:19:35 PM »

try out your local dollar store as well. since most everything in them are imports, japanese themed kitchen whatnot is not uncommon to come by.
i found these great plastic food containers, that look kinda like these: http://www.ichibankanusa.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2428/.f?sc=13&category=171
but with a rubber lid, and a surprisingly sturdy base. they stack nicely, and all i really need is a belt to keep them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
Thecla
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008 08:34:27 AM »

Preparing the rice during the morning, how do you guys do that? Huh
When we make sushi or anything, preparing the rice takes quite some time because the rice needs to settle a while after boiling and suck up some more of the water..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut Scissors Over Comb
How to Cut Round Layers
Hairdressing Essentials Shampoo
How to Cut Freehand
Hairdressing Essentials Hair Serums
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...