A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A chemo chapeau, nautilus, shawl and checkerboard scarf! {Pic Hippopotamic}  (Read 3602 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snork
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008 10:47:15 AM »

Yay for the nautiloid! That's so neat.  You must now bathe your hands in honey and almond oil for the next 5 years so they recover!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jutybo
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008 11:18:31 AM »

What a great job you did on the hat!!  I've seen that one on the HH site, but wasn't sure how to adapt it to an adult-sized hat.  Do you mind sharing what you did, if anything?  The pattern says it fits a child's head... did you use larger hooks?  Increased stitches?  ...just winged it?  Thank you so much in advance- I've been wanting to make this for some time now.
Unbelievably great job on the nautilus as well. So tiny!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RepentantAngel
Empress of the World At Large

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008 11:54:16 AM »

Yay for the nautiloid! That's so neat.  You must now bathe your hands in honey and almond oil for the next 5 years so they recover!

So true, so true...

What a great job you did on the hat!!  I've seen that one on the HH site, but wasn't sure how to adapt it to an adult-sized hat.  Do you mind sharing what you did, if anything?  The pattern says it fits a child's head... did you use larger hooks?  Increased stitches?  ...just winged it?  Thank you so much in advance- I've been wanting to make this for some time now.
Unbelievably great job on the nautilus as well. So tiny!!

Oh, thank you, I completely forgot to mention that!

-I used a hook one size bigger for the ribbing, and after measuring the recipient's head, I crocheted the foundation ribbing to fit that measurement.
-Then, I followed the pattern to create the actual rectangle of loop stitch that is the hat, only there were more stitches than it states in the pattern.
-Then, when I got to the part of the pattern where it said to create these triangular panels and such, my rectange of loop stitch wasn't anywhere near big enough, and the way that the hat was going to be assembled was just...ech. I didn't completely understand it, nor did I like the way it was going to look.
-So, I worked several more rows of loop stitch, until the panel was tall enough to fit the recipients head with the ribbing folded up.
-Then, when I got to the end of the row, I caught the beginning loop in a slip stitch, and began to work the piece in the round in loop stitch.
-Then I decreased, first every few stitches, then every other stitch, then every stitch, until the top of the hat closed up.
-Then, I went back and sewed up the seam from before I started working it in the round, and I was done!

Did I describe that in a way that was understandable? If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

R.A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people have midnight snacks.
I have midnight amigurumis. ^_^

www.yarncreations.wordpress.com

"Oh, Ackbar. You dumb, dumb, dumb fish man."
---My boyfriend
jutybo
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008 10:28:04 AM »

Thank you so much!!  I think I understand what you explained- I'm sure that once I'm actually working on it it will make sense perfectly.  If not, I'll be sure to post here with questions in case anyone else has them, too.
Thank you again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RepentantAngel

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008 11:17:45 AM »

Thank you so much!!  I think I understand what you explained- I'm sure that once I'm actually working on it it will make sense perfectly.  If not, I'll be sure to post here with questions in case anyone else has them, too.
Thank you again!

Absolutely. It will probably make sense once you're making it. If not, I could describe it a different way or maybe do pictures. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---My boyfriend
instantkarma
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008 11:33:36 AM »

Maybe I'm a little dense, but where can I find that adorable-as-anything nautilus pattern? As soon as I saw it, I was like YESINEEDTHAT.
By the way, what type of yarn (I guess I mean name and brand name) of yarn did you use for the shell? It looks like one of those yarns that I would hate when it's in a skein but would think it was lovely when it was crocheted up (which I do - everything looks amazing!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
RepentantAngel

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008 11:53:21 AM »

Maybe I'm a little dense, but where can I find that adorable-as-anything nautilus pattern? As soon as I saw it, I was like YESINEEDTHAT.
By the way, what type of yarn (I guess I mean name and brand name) of yarn did you use for the shell? It looks like one of those yarns that I would hate when it's in a skein but would think it was lovely when it was crocheted up (which I do - everything looks amazing!).

The nautilus pattern was made by Snork. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=255061.0
Thank you! I often hate the way variegated yarn looks on the skein but love the way it comes out. It's Red Heart in 0303 Painted Desert. It is the same yarn that I used for the hat.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008 11:55:15 AM by RepentantAngel - Reason: Oops, forgot to put the URL! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

---My boyfriend
instantkarma
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008 11:58:26 AM »

Really, that's Painted Desert? It looks so...fugly...in a skein. I'll have to pick some up now, though.
Thanks for the pattern link too - apparently you have to kill your wrists to make it, huh? Well, here goes nothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
RepentantAngel

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008 12:19:05 PM »

Really, that's Painted Desert? It looks so...fugly...in a skein. I'll have to pick some up now, though.
Thanks for the pattern link too - apparently you have to kill your wrists to make it, huh? Well, here goes nothing.

It does look rather fugly in a skein. I asked my mother to pick me up a variegate with browns and reds and she got me that, and I was like 0.0, but I decided to use it anyway.

Yes, the nautilus will KILL your fingers and wrists. But, it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck, and post pics when you're done!

R.A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---My boyfriend
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kahlua Caramel Nutella Brownie Recipe
How to Make Slutty Brownies
Unbelievably Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Pumpkin Spice Bread
How to Make Your Own Salty Caramel Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...