A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Perfect Shrug": Now with Pattern!  (Read 15907 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 12, 2005 06:09:10 PM »

Ok, over in the discussions there was a thread about the "Perfect Shrug" from a Norwegian (I think?) knitting magazine, and I decided to try my hand at making up a pattern.  Now, I'd never made an adult-sized garment, and I was scared to even try using someone else's pattern, but I just swallowed my fear and got started.  I had the Joann's Sensations brand Licorice in red, and after a bit of a saga, I wound up with 7 balls.  This shrug (I think it's really more of a bolero) used 6, almost exactly.  

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the pattern.  I really like the way it turned out, and was thinking of trying to figure it for S and L and see if someone would publish it, but I read a bunch of other patterns to understand the shaping, and it was based on another published pattern (though I never saw the pattern, only a picture, and wouldn't have been able to read it if I had), so I don't know if it would be ethical to try to have it published.  I'm just not sure.  *blatant solicitation of advice from loyal readers*

So, here's the finished object in all it's blundering glory:  My first attempt at an adult garment, my first pattern, my first use of wool yarn, my first raglan shaping of any kind, and I think this project makes exactly one dozen finished items, in the 10 months since I learned to knit.  Now, I could be completely off the mark, and have a really biased opinion, but I think it turned out pretty well under the circumstances.  

PS:  This thing looks so much better in person.  My mother's digital camera is not the best quality and her home doesn't have great picture-taking lighting or coloring.  And, the camera adds 10 pounds... er... Ok, I'm a lot chubbier than some of you skinny minnies that post your little tank tops and what not, but really, the bulky yarn adds a lot of weight, but in person it doesn't make me look so chunky.  *sigh*  I hope.

ETA:  Here is the pattern!  This pattern was written for a size medium to large, but is mostly, well, roomy and adjustable.  I'd suggest it will work as written for between 36" and 40" bust.  Smaller than that, you'll want to adjust your sleeve size down, probably.  Larger, adjust it up.  The rest gets adjusted off that.  That's it.  Cheesy  More discussion of sizing can be found here:  http://www.lothruin.com/perfectshrug.html

A second version uses a slightly different yarn and incorporates certain pattern refinements that have been added below.

Materials:
  • For Ruth, a bolero jacket, use 7 balls (522 yds) Joann's brand Sensations Licorice yarn.
  • For Ruthie, a shrug, 4 balls are used.
  • Note: For the Knitting Olypics I made a version of the jacket out of Yarn Bee Highland Thistle in Craigmoor. This yarn is intended for smaller needles, but I got gauge on the size called for. I made only two adjustments. One made no difference to the pattern other than a slightly poofed sleeve. The fit is identical. The other fine-tuned the fit in the ribbing and is included here. The jacket used 5 balls of Craigmoor with some to spare.
  • 1 pair US 15 straight needles
  • 1 pair US 15 circular needles
  • yarn needle
  • Optional: A worsted weight yarn in matching color for sleeve seams.
  • Gauge: 11 stitches and 14 rows = 4"

Abbreviations and stitch notes:
K = Knit
P = Purl
K1 F&B = Knit 1 in front and back; a bar increase
PM = Place Marker
M1 = Make one
WS = Wrong Side
RS = Right Side
BO = Bind Off
PSSO = Pass Slipped Stitch Over
K2Tog = Knit Two Together
2x2 rib = *K 2, P 2*
Stockinette = K one row, P one row

For Ruth and Ruthie

Sleeve (make 2):

Cast on 26 stitches, work 2x2 rib for 4 (14 rows).
Row 1: K
Row 2: P
Row 3: K 2, M1, K to 2 stitches from end, M1, K 2 (28 sts on needle)
Rows 4-8: St st, starting with WS row.
Rows 9 14: Repeat rows 3-8 three times more. (36 sts on needle)

Work even in St st until sleeve measures 21 from beginning, ending RS row.
At beginning of next row, BO 3 stitches. P to last three stitches. BO 3 stitches. Put live stitches on holder or waste yarn.

Body

With circular needles, cast on 50 stitches. Starting with a knit row, work in St st for 3 rows, back and forth as though on straight needles.

Row 4: P first 4 stitches. BO 4 stitches. P across row to last 8 stitches. BO 4 stitches. P last 4 stitches.

Row 5: K across first 4 stitches. PM. K across all live stitches on one sleeve. PM. K across back. PM. K across live stitches of second sleeve. PM. K across last 4 stitches.

Row 6: P across row.

Row 7: Begin raglan shaping. K in first two stitches, *K2tog, slip marker, slip 1 purlwise, K 1, PSSO, K across to 2 stitches before next marker*, repeat from * to * to two stitches before last marker. K2tog, slip marker, slip 1 purlwise, K 1, PSSO, K last two stitches. (8 decreases this row.)

Row 8: P across row.

Row 9: K first stitch, *K2tog, slip marker, slip 1 purlwise, K 1, PSSO, K across to 2 stitches before next marker*, repeat from * to * to two stitches before last marker. K2tog, slip marker, slip 1 purlwise, K 1, PSSO. (8 decreases this row.)

On next and all following odd rows, continue raglan shaping as above, except knit first and last two stitches even, making only the ssk decrease after first marker and K2tog decrease before last marker. P all even rows. (6 decreases this and all following decrease rows.)

Work in raglan shaping as established until 22 stitches remain on needle, ending on a K row. (If you've made sizing adjustments, add or subtract the number of stitches you altered.)

Collar for Ruthie, the shrug

PM. Pick up 29 stitches down left front, 50 stitches across bottom edge and 29 stitches up right side and join with live stitches already on needle. If you've made sizing adjustments, the only thing you really need to know is that you should pick up one stitch for every row down the sides and one stitch for every stitch along the bottom, making any adjustments neccessary for there to be a multiple of 4 + 2 (when added to the 22 stitches on the needle, this will make a multiple of four).

Work in the round in K2 P2 ribbing for 2.5 inches. If you feel like removing all markers except the one marking the beggining of your picked-up stitches, feel free. After 2.5", BO loosely.

Collar for Ruth, the jacket

PM. Pick up 29 stitches down left front, PM, 50 stitches across bottom edge, PM, and 29 stitches up right side, PM and join with live stitches already on needle. If you've made sizing adjustments, the only thing you really need to know is that you should pick up one stitch for every row down the sides and one stitch for every stitch along the bottom, making any adjustments neccessary for there to be a multiple of 4 + 2 (when added to the 22 stitches on the needle, this will make a multiple of four).

The first row in the round will be a knit row. *As you work, remove the markers from the decrease work, leaving only the four markers you placed while picking up stitches.* In all 22 live stitches along the neck, K1 F&B in each stitch, bringing the number to 44. K 1 in each picked-up stitch down the edge until 4 stitches before marker. K1 F&B in each stitch until marker. K 1 in 50 bottom-edge stitches. K1 F&B in the first 4 stitches after marker, then K 1 in each remaining stitch to first marker. There should be 160 stitches on your needles.

Work in the round in 2x2 ribbing until ribbing measures 11" long. BO loosely.

Finishing Ruth and Ruthie

Your jacket is almost finished! All there is left to do is sew the sleeve seams and graft the bound-off stitches under the arms. I did not block mine. I'm not sure how you'd go about it, actually. Mine didn't need it.

Hope you like it. It is my first attempt at writing a pattern, so there may be some conventions I missed. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be happy to make any clarifications neccessary.

The Legal Stuff

This pattern is the copyrighted to Melissa Rotert 2005. You may not duplicated or produce this pattern for sale, except to print off a single copy for personal use. You may not sell products made from this pattern. If you have any questions regarding these policies, please contact Melissa at webmaster@lothruin.com.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 02:56:34 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005 06:15:48 PM »

I like it.  It doesn't remind me of a shrug though.  It reminds me of those really short jackets and coats which are popular now/ the 80s and early 90s.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005 06:18:05 PM »

Thanks Battersea.  I agree about the jacket bit.  That's one of the reasons "perfect shrug" is in quotes, but I'd really call it more of a bolero, or perhaps even a jacket, as you said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005 06:27:40 PM »

I love it and would make it if I had a pattern...  *hint, hint*   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roe
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005 09:02:56 PM »

Looks GREAT! I'd be pretty darn proud if I made that, especially without a pattern. 

GOOD JOB, I say.

roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms.Snit

I knit therefore I am...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005 09:59:10 PM »

It's gorgeous and very hip right now... go you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.spunmag.com - Not just knittin' pretty
karenie
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005 10:27:47 PM »

that looks really great! i'm impressed with your pattern-meshing garment knitting skills. if you do post the pattern, i would totally attempt it, it's really cute. does it have lapel-esque things? it's hard to tell from the picture, but it would be super-cute if it did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life, in a knitterly fashion
http://knitterlyfashion.blogspot.com
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005 01:08:01 AM »

Thanks guys! 

Karenie:  It does indeed have lapels.  Basically, the shrug is made, then you pick up stitches all around the edge of the shrug (with the way the shrug is built, it's a continuous line down the left front, along the back, up the right front and around the back neck) and knit in the round in ribbing for 11-12".  So, where the pin is, the ribbing folds over from there to the point where it is almost folded in half at the neck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

niza
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005 01:22:19 AM »

Gorgeous! I totally dig it! Would really love to make one like that for myself. Now I really have to move on and dare myself to do more than just scarves. Really love what you've done
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005 05:50:28 AM »

Great job! Smiley
Tere
And it looks great on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Style Fried Chicken
How To Cook Asparagus
Italian Sausage & Stuffed Mushrooms Recipes
Baked Potato
Seafood Gumbo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...