A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: silky "101 ways" dress??  (Read 8689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mom2blu
« on: July 09, 2008 07:54:18 PM »

Every summer in our mall we get a kiosk that sells these dresses. They come in three lengths and a silky material. Well rather two silky materials, because it's reversible. They essentially are like wrap skirt but you can tie it a million different ways as various types of dresses also. I KNOW I can make one (for a lot cheaper then the $55 they charge!!), but since it is a kiosk it's the really motived sellers, and there is no way I could just fondle it and see how it is made. I'm not sure how the straps/ties are.

Does anyone have one of these or know how to make them??

Does anyone even know what I'm talking about?

It is different then the other infinity dress here on craftser, because it is more like a wrap skirt. It literally is like a rectangle (though it has rounded corners on the bottom) that wraps around you.

Anyone know how to do the ties on such a thing? A fabric estimate would be much appreciated too!

I'm sure I could take some time and play and eventually figure it out, but my craft time is limited and I'd rather just know what I'm doing.

Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008 06:02:16 AM »

This thread talks all about them:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=233311.0  They're called kariza's.  They also look so easy to make, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
mom2blu
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008 09:07:56 AM »

I don't think that is the same thing.  Sad Same general idea, but the one I'm talking about is different. It is one layer of material literally laying on top of another (like a lining) but not attached at the bottom. There are both essentially the full length, not just a different one at the top.

I'm trying to follow all the links in that post to try to find the right style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

mom2blu
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008 09:11:23 AM »

a link led to a link that led to a link that led to this:

www.sarilady.com

That's what I'm talking about. Any idea how to do those straps/ties???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom2blu
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008 09:15:58 AM »

I figured it out!!!!!

If you look at the sari lady link, on the ways to wrap section, it clearly shows the shape and where the loophole is!

it is literally a rectangle, with another rectangle underneath. there is a plain waistband, that expands to side ties (like an apron) in the very center there is a buttonhole!

taaadaaaa. Now I just need the right fabric!

thanks aislynn for the link that lend to the link that figured it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008 01:03:40 PM »

Hehe...I knew it was in there somewhere, it'd just been a while since I visited the thread.  Is it a rectangle or a semi-circle, though?  I thought someone on that thread had sketched out what it was in paint, but I could be thinking of a different thread, of course.  And they use silk for them, usually, but I'm a fan of rayon!  Great drape and hand, yet utterly washable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom2blu
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008 02:16:48 PM »

The diagram at thesarilady makes it look like a rectangle, BUT I just spent an hour making a rectangle one and it just doesn't work right. Granted I also used cotton which doesn't drape the same. It has to somehow be a semi circle. I'm trying to brainstorm if they used a cut semi-circle OR is they just gather or do gores??

Somehow the top has to be smaller then the bottom. I'll rebrowse the threads to see the diagram.

Yeah I intend to use rayon. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008 05:45:17 AM »

I don't think it's gathered.  I'd make a big half circle, with a smaller half-circle cut out at the waist to get the drape right.  Like half a donut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008 06:05:31 AM »

I have one. I bought it at the $60 pricetage because the one I bought is 100% silk, which I thought was a really good deal. Also the print of the fabric was fantastic, nothing like that where I live. The skirt panels are half circles. The waist tie is about 3 times longer than the waistband.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mom2blu
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008 06:14:34 AM »

yeah I took my didn't fit rectangle one and cut a half circle waist. It still has the rectangle bottom which gives it a pretty neat uneven edge when tied on. But the good news is IT WORKS!!!! yippeeeeee.

Now I can buy nicer fabric and make one that is fully round (not with a square base!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
GQ Fashion Week Report in Milan
Back-to-School Saturday Haul with Brittany Balyn
Back-to-School Saturday Haul With Shannon Barker
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Her Favorite Jeans
How to Wear Pajama Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...