A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 'La Mode' Clock - made using 1920s French Fashion Magazines  (Read 2243 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VenusInFurs
Lady Day

Time may change me, but I can't trace time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009 02:15:58 PM »

OMG FABULOUS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website...I post tutorials and recipes!
pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009 10:15:00 PM »

This is fantastic. I looked at your blog and love the other things you've done as well. Can I ask you two questions?
How do you avoid bubbles? Whenever I decoupage anything, I get awful bubbles no matter how careful I am.
And secondly, if you don't mind sharing this information, what did you use behind the clock (the part that is decoupaged)? At first I thought it might be a foam wreath until I saw how it is flat on the back. Or was it just a clock that had a flat surface surrounding it?

Thanks and great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clairol5
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009 01:41:45 AM »

Bubbles also annoy me a lot! This paper is pretty thin so that might have helped. The best thing though is keeping the right consistency with the glue (I mix mine with a bit of water). When I first place the pieces I like to cover the surface so that it's quite slippery, then when I'm happy with the position I put lots of glue on top and smooth out loads with a brush. As it dries I keep going back over it with the brush to get rid of any bubbles... I try and push them to the edge. There is a moment when you should stop going back over though, as the paper starts to get tacky and will tear if you brush it. Also when you're putting big pieces down start with the paper vertical then place the edge closest to you and smooth it down. As you smooth make sure you pull the rest of the paper up and towards you, then little by little smooth down more paper away from you whilst still keeping he rest taught.

I hope that made sense!!

As for the clock back, this was a very boring wooden clock to begin with that I decoupaged. The back was already flat like that. On my blog there's an in progress picture where I had done the background, but  you can see that the form didn't change at all. http://myownfairhands.blogspot.com/2009/04/insert-time-related-pun-here.html

Hope that helps, if not please ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - The Rectangle Tool vs. the Rectangle Frame Tool
Adobe InDesign CS2 - When Not to Turn on Allow Pages to Shuffle
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving a Document
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Preview Modes
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Placing Guides on Multiple Pages
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...