A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crazy Craft Store Idea- please weigh in?  (Read 5398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

outbackgirl
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008 08:01:12 PM »

this sounds like an awesome idea, however you a going to need a mega overdraft.  i think the earlier comment from someone (forgotten who, sorry) that you can't start climbing the mountain at the peak is true. 
a good example of this on a 'small scale' is my friend karen's shop.  she started small with a consignment craft shop with a small range of craft supplies (think a smattering of scrapbooking, cardmaking and patchworking stuff).  as she got established she bought more supplies.  now she has just opened the rear of her shop up and expanded her range of fabrics, notions, scrapbooking and crafty sewing patterns.  she has tables set up for 10 people, along with power points coming down from the roof.  she has a cutting area and ironing station set up all the time.  the local quilting club meets there once a month (instead of the crummy church hall where we used to meet), a lady does a patchworking class once a month, another lady takes a card making class once a month and i do scrapbooking classes once a month.  we also have a crop afternoon once a month.  she takes $5 per person who goes to the classes/crops or who comes to use the space, plus anything we buy while we are there.  she is next door to a nice cafe who deliver phone orders (on china plates and then collect later!)  we live in a tiny town (think 3000 people) which has very few people in any nearby areas so it's impressive that the business does so well.
good luck bringing your idea to life!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tell_the_bees
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008 07:19:31 PM »

I love the idea.
I definitely think that membership is the way to go (and for the ones who are hesitant to commit - you can also offer hourly sewing machine rent, just like a cyber/internet cafe) as well as hosting private events.

If you get a big space, I think you should have an actual cafe and serve coffee and snacks for people who need a break between projects.

As for the different rooms/areas for different crafts, I think that you should probably start with a focus on sewing (and maybe knitting as well - doesn't require much equipment) and expand as you business grows.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MandaRenee
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008 12:20:45 PM »

I love this idea and have toyed with it myself.  I've always wondered how it would do in a small town setting, which is where I live.  I can't see how it wouldn't go great in a larger city.  Definitely something to work towards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a swap!

http://rusticremnants.blogspot.com/
iShallCallYouSquishy
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010 03:12:32 PM »

I find the idea interesting, but it would cost a ton. And then you have to spread word around to get people to come by.. I love the idea though. If there was one near where I lived, I would just ask my mom to drop me off there after school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From the very moment I saw you, I knew that you were the "one".
sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010 12:06:53 AM »

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm going to push this up too--opening a space like this has always been my dream.  It would be one heck of an investment, but, wow, even if I just came to one of these sewing cafes, it would be like I had died and gone to heaven.  There aren't that many places around me that are devoted to actually making art together with other people, it would be AWESOME to see something like this.  I mean, seriously, would it kill them to do without one less drug store around me? LOL
Also love your daycare idea--other moms would too because if they're like me, my son doesn't even give me five minutes with my sewing machine anymore!  The daycare part would be reason enough for me to come to your center!

This kind of idea would probably do great in the artsy district of your city\town. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
craftbot
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010 06:58:37 PM »

In SoCal there are a couple of shops with similar ideas:

http://www.theurbancraftcenter.com/

http://www.thecraftkitchen.com/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amandarenee
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010 02:43:10 PM »

I think it sounds insane and fun at the same time.  I've really been wishing there was a knit/crochet group around here to meet up with once in a while, but this apparently isn't the craftiest area. 

It could get expensive, though.  That is the only problem I could see.  And you'd have to have a different employee for every room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a knittin', sewin', crochetin' mama-to-be!

Baby #1 Due Aug 14th!  Cheesy
judishaver
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010 02:10:30 PM »

My job would fire me because I spend all my time in a place like this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
celticflame99
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010 02:04:27 AM »

I used to be a member of a place like this. It was a club, they had classes, gamer stuff, tools there etc. They didn't have an inventory of stuff, but had tools available to use once you paid took classes to learn how (insurance issue?), also you could go in on group orders for things. Classes cost, monthly membership fee to cover rent etc. It could work, but would be slow at first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read my crafting blog at http://celticcolor.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Treatments of the Stars: Extreme Natural Beauty
Celebrities Love This Treatment For Head-to-Toe Sexy Skin
Cheerleading: See Gurl Try
4 Summer Style Tips
Does Wearing Red Make You Sexier?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...