A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crazy Craft Store Idea- please weigh in?  (Read 5517 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

threehang
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008 12:06:38 PM »

That is genius. I would go in a heartbeat! Good luck with your ventures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sgtbalderramawife
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008 02:40:59 PM »

I fell in love with this idea when I read about it!  I have been thinking about the ways of maybe opening something like that here is the Kansas City area, but I can't financially right now.  This would be the best place to work and it would be the best part of my day(besides coming home to my kids)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Littleclouds
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008 02:21:48 PM »

I think that would be an AMAZING place to hang out! The potential is massive & I think planned correctly with enough hard work it could be a nice earner, I think location would probably be a key factor though.

I can't remember the url or name but there is a place in London like this where they hold sewing/hat making etc classes & charge $80 a session per person!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008 01:03:25 PM »

This is a great idea and I say go for it.  I hadn't even heard of a place like this before.  I agree with most people here and think that having people pay a membership fee or pay for crafting classes is also a great idea.  I am seriously blown away by this idea and when/if you do persue this idea, let me know.  I would travel wherever it is just to go.  It sounds great.  I've always thought about someday opening a place that was sort of like a coffee shop and a crafting store in one with all sort of books, newspapers, and other reading material.  Also a sort of lounge area for people to sit and do their crafts in a welcoming relaxing environment.  I also like to bake things so I always dreamed of selling baked goodies at my fantasy shop.  However, the possibility of me ever creating a place like this is impossible.  I do encourage you to do this though.  It may be expensive, but it will be well worth it.  With all of your great ideas and the wonderful world of advertising, the possibilities are endless.  Good luck with everything in the future!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008 01:25:38 PM »

I would love to go to a place like that. I could see it being 2 business, run separately but connected on the interior. One would be a craft supply store like a JoAnn Etc. and the other a cafe/crafting lounge with a studio/classroom attached with machines & supplies. I don't think you'd want the food in the same area as some of the crafts because of messy people (like me!). Other crafts that you can do on your lap would be ok to work on in the lounge/cafe. Maybe you could approach someone who already runs a craft supply store that has an empty space next door or would be willing to relocate. It's not too hard to find empty space in retail centers (aka strip malls) right now; there are a lot of vacancies. Then they could keep doing what they know best and you could open up and manage the new part.

BTW, maybe you could get some magnetic strips to put on the handheld tools with a security scanner at the door to keep them from disappearing. It's probably not intentional theft, people probably just toss them in their bag without thinking. Or paint them some obnoxious color so people know right away where they belong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
WYG
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008 04:35:20 PM »

Are there any business grants you could get to help you set up, especially as there would be a big educational component (and a very useful one in the current economic conditions - the more we can sew, knit, craft etc. the less we need to buy).  If you were in the UK I would be saying to try for a lottery grant, do you have anything like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

W.Y.G. - What You've Got, as in USE IT, BABY!  In craft, in life, in everything - if you're handed lemons, make port'n'lemon!  (But mine's a gin and rosehip syrup, thanks).
lovethelimelight
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008 04:38:16 AM »

I think this is an awesome idea, and I agree that you should have a craft STORE and workspace. Another thing you should do is hold monthly (or maybe even weekly?) craft fairs or craft swaps for members and for the general public to come and buy things. You could charge a lower amount for a member to get a booth and charge more for a nonmember, but if you have a nice large warehouse space (or empty grocery store was a great idea), you could just pack it with people. That would be awesome. For an idea like this, marketing and clear explanation of what the place is would be important to get the word-of-mouth ball rolling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lovethelimelight.com ~ Selling colorful, fun handmade jewelry and accessories made from alternative and quality materials.
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008 05:41:09 AM »

Are there any business grants you could get to help you set up, especially as there would be a big educational component (and a very useful one in the current economic conditions - the more we can sew, knit, craft etc. the less we need to buy).  If you were in the UK I would be saying to try for a lottery grant, do you have anything like that?

A lot of cities have business development orgs that will give low-interest loans to start up small businesses, and there are some that focus on women or minority individuals. There may also be grants available from the fed., state, or local gov't.

Oooh, check out this article I just found: http://www.pinkmagazine.com/resources/business/financing.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008 09:46:10 AM »

I love this idea!  I go to a local yarn store that has a lounge area, and it's been an inspiration to talk with people making things that look difficult to me.  With encouragement, I got brave enough to make socks and I haven't looked back!  My favorite quilt shop has the same type of table area, but you need to bring your own machine.  They have a weekly UFO time slot (Un-Finished Objects) from 7 pm. to 10 pm, and there's usually at least 5 people who are there.

I'd suggest starting out with two or three crafts on one floor.  For example, if quilting and beading and knitting were in the same space, you'd likely get some cross-over product purchasers.  For instance:  a quilter notices that a pieced quilt on your shop wall has appliqued flowers with beaded details.  You could offer a trapunto workshop, where the students learn to thread yarn and batting into channels to add dimension to their quilts. 

A local store in my town is roughly divided into thirds:  one section is records and CDs.  The second section is books.  The third section is a cafe with sandwiches, pastries and coffee.  In addition to little tables, they have small couches and comfy chairs.  I often see people from the local knitter's guild sitting in the comfy chairs drinking espresso and knitting.  By the way, that group has two men: one who consistently wins blue ribbons at the state fair for his lace, and a twenty-something designer who just started his own knit wear business!  And with the designated eating area, klutzy people spill coffee only on their own projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bettyxbrown
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008 04:31:08 PM »

i haven't read the entirety of this thread (my attention wanders after approximately 3 sentences), but, my 2 cents:

this sounds like a great idea.  i would love to patronize this kind of establishment.  i think it is something that would take a lot of time and effort, and a huge HUGE sense of dedication and a very well developed set of organizational skills.  keeping even one craft room tidy is a logistical nightmare; a house full of separate, specialized rooms sounds like a neat-freak's hell on earth.

i think this is the sort of setup that could be super totally awesome if it was run as a collective. personally, i would definitely burn out right away if i tried to run it myself.  maybe you could find some suitable cohorts with the necessary gumption, each with a specialty area, and they could be official Lord of Whatever Their Forte Be.

Also, i would love to see something that focused more on recycled/repurposed materials than new retail.  i live in portland, oregon, and down the street from my house there's an organization called S.C.R.A.P. (School and Community Reuse Action Center).  they sort and sell (for way cheap) all kind of odds and ends that people donate to them.

also, don't charge an arm and a leg for shit if you can avoid it!  i mean, pay the bills, make some money, but don't make it super expensive!  do it for the love!

OK, that's about all i can think of right now. it sounds awesome and if you can dream it you should do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Architecture Keynote Schedules
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Fun With Fillet
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Nested Scope Box Demonstration
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Keyboard Shortcuts
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Build a House in 10 Minutes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...