A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quartz Candle Holder  (Read 3818 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olga
« on: February 12, 2005 02:39:35 PM »

So I went into a fancy shmancy furniture store once. Nothing was priced with reason. But as I walked out sulkily I noticed a candle holder chillin on the mucho expencive table. It was huge and all quarts crystals. It blew me away, and so did the price. So I said "Screw these peeps", and decided to make my own. I like it, the next one will be better though, larger and more full.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2005 04:05:42 PM by olga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lizzie
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005 02:56:15 PM »

That's really beautiful! Great job. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005 02:57:41 PM »

I ooooooh that's neat, would you mind posting a tute?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Luxe

what the shuck

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005 06:19:31 PM »

THAT is GORGEOUS!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickledkitty
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005 09:19:18 PM »

That is definently awesome! I love how you snubbed 'the Man.' Furniture stores can be so snobby. Please post how you did it, it is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wildcheddar

sugar magnolia, sunshine daydream

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005 12:01:52 PM »

please tell us how! and where'd you get all those crystals? were they muy expensivo?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005 12:15:18 PM »

Wow.... VERY impressive!  Wink  Have you tried other colors?  how long did it take you to complete?  it's gorgeous... Wink  Reminds me of something COSI (in Ohio) would sell for 29.99 Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
olga
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005 02:57:27 PM »

Hi Guys, thanks so much for all the nice words.

Yes I have seen the cheeper version of these in some tourist shops and others. But they werent very stable, were squishy, with glue all over, just looked cheap to me. The one at the furniture store looked handmade. I haven't yet tried other colors, but want to, but I don't know what other quartz colors they might carry, I've only seen white and pink, and purple amythist. I got the crystals from Ebay. The seller is called,  jeweltunnel , he sells all types of rocks and minerals and such. I bought a bag, with enough crystals to make maybe 5 candle holders, for $25.00. I though it was a decent price. It was called rice quartz.

Ok here is the non official tute:

1. Go out and get a glass tea light candle holder, I got mine at Walmart or Michael's I forget, it was so tiny that I was considering getting a votive holder, but now realize that the tea light was perfect size.

2. Get some good clear glue that can adhere to glass well. Mine was called GOOP MARINE Contact Adhesive and Sealant.

3. Place the glass tea light candle holder on to a newspaper, or other soft paper material that can be ripped off later with no damage to the newly created holder.

4. Sort your crystals, and pick the largest and most fitting to the shape of the glass. Place a large dab of glue on the flatter end (the non pointy end) of the crystal, wait a few seconds maybe even 20 or 30 for the glue to set slightly, then press into place. Start at the bottom of the tea light and work your way up. What you will basically be doing is gluing in layers, first the bottom layer will be glued all the way arround. The bottom layer will consist of larger more weighty crystals, they will create the base for the smaller ones that will be glued on top.

5. The bottom layer will inevitably glue itself to the newspaper you are using, but don't worry, when everything is dry you can just rip the paper off and it won't be noticeable.

6. So keep going, gluing smaller crystals on top of the bigger ones, making sure they are holding and not falling off. The glue needs time to harden, but I'm not that patient, so I gathered small items from all over the house to sitck underneath the crystals that had not yet adhered. Things like floss dispencers, scissors, spools of thread, and whatnot. As I glued the crystals, the ones that had no support from the lower crystals, I would just stick the floss dispenser underneath and it would hold until the glue dryed.

7. Then I stuck the smallest crystals on the very top, near the rim of the tea light, to hide some of the seams and raw edges.

That is all, nothing too complex, just lots of glue and crystals. I tore off the newspaper as soon as the glue was dry enough to hold all crystals without them falling off. It was all still a little fragile and bendable, but the next day it was as hard as a rock. But this project is kinda time consuming, you've got to have other things going on besides the candle holder, because I had to step away quite a few times to wait for the glue. It took me half the day probably, just the constant coming-gluing some crystals-going-waiting-coming back-gluing some more.

OK, if I was not clear please let me know, I'll try to describe better,
Thanks,
Olga
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005 05:23:40 PM »

Wow!  That is a great tute!  Thank you so much...it's very clear.  I am heading to Ebay now...to buy those!  5 candles out of the $25 isn't bad at all.  I think they will make great gifts... Wink  I am envisioning all sorts of colors & things... I think if I try to make all 5 at once...it won't be bad (as far as timing), as well.  Because by the time I finish gluing the first layer on candle #5, I can get back to candle #1's 2nd layer... heh... not too mention the other 14 projects I have going on, LOL.  This is such a great...and unique project...thank you once again!! Cheesy  I will post photos when I get it/them together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
olga
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005 05:31:47 PM »

I just checked ebay, and this particular seller is not selling anything at the moment, so I went and found his web site for you.

http://www.jeweltunnel.com/newstuff10-8.html

He has a small selection of quartz, the one I bought was the "Rice" quartz from China. The other kinds would work but would be difficult because they are doubly terminated, or pointy on both ends. The rice quarts is only pointy on one.
Have fun.

P.S. I bought the 5 pound bag
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005 05:36:19 PM by olga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Trench Coat Trend for Fall 2012
Who Wore It Best: Pink Or Kim Kardashian?
Naomi Watts Wears An Unusual Little Black Dress
How to Rock the Military Trend for Fall and Winter 2012
Get The Look: How To Wear Harem Pants Like Rihanna And Kim Kardashian
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...