A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giant Dog Bed  (Read 2239 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calmwind
« on: December 13, 2008 09:08:32 PM »

So I somehow got it in my head that I would make my dog a bed for Christmas. Not that she really needs one, since she is allowed to sleep on the couch or my bed or wherever she wants really. But anyways, she is a big dog and I figured it'd be better on her joints in the long run if she slept on a nice dog bed rather than my beat-up couch or the floor.

I could have just bought a dog bed, but the ones that are big enough for my dog are horribly expensive. Mine ended up costing about $40 in supplies (I wouldn't have bought one for that much at a store...)

The supplies were:
1 queen sized foam mattress topper (New from Wal-mart. It's hard to find used ones, and I don't think I'd want one anyways. I had enough left over to make a simple bed for my little dog as well.)
3 bags poly-fil on sale from Joanns
1 duvet cover from Value Village

This is for size reference, since the bed looks so ridiculously huge. It's not really the same size as a twin mattress, it's mostly the angle of the picture. My dog weighs about 100 lbs and I wanted her to be able to lay comfortably on her side.

Here is a picture of the foam bit and the bumper/pillow bit (poly-fil and part of the duvet cover)

This is a picture of the bed finished. The plaid cover is removable, so I can wash it and such. I basically had to invent a slipcover pattern, as I've never made one and couldn't be bothered to look one up.

My other dog also got a bed, really just a pillowcase and foam topper. He likes to dig at his bed space, so I filled the pillowcase with chunks of foam topper, instead of a flat piece. He's kind of horrible, so he didn't get as nice of a bed. I did buy him a bag of a dozen tennis balls though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008 11:45:47 PM by calmwind » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zkatom
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008 04:33:00 AM »

Adorable!  You did a great job!  Your dogs look soooo cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrappygirl085
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009 04:29:35 AM »

I'm so glad to have found this, thanks!  We got a lab puppy the week before Christmas (he was 7 wks and has AT LEAST doubled in size since) and yesterday I was in PetSmart looking at a pad for the dog crate and it was $127!!!  I didn't think about the foam mattress topper.  Great idea!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birthday Craft Ideas for Children
How to Create a Summer Camp Survival Kit
How to Make a Travel Scrapbook
How to Frame a Baby Hand Tracing
How to Make a Homemade Felt Board
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...