A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,849
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super soft nap mat! - with tweeks and problems (Pictures abundantly posted)  (Read 4095 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

La Maestra
« on: July 08, 2008 07:14:17 PM »

I saw LoopedyLoop's nap mat at http://jennycrafts.vox.com/library/post/my-nap-mat-tutorial.html, and then Batgirl's spacey nap mat, and I had to make one for my banana!  Thanks for the inspiration!  She starts full-day daycare this fall, and this will be her napping place.  It took about an afternoon once I got the cutting done the night before (figuring out the velcro - or should I say, figuring out the velcro wrong Undecided) slowed me down a bit.

There's two pieces of that 1" bumpy memory foam for the top of a mattress in there (her daycare has hardwood floors)!  Squishes right inside.

I made the mat 5" wider (she likes to stretch all out and akimbo), but not the blanket - at first I thought it was a problem, but turns out it's the perfect size, with less floor drag dust bunny collection.  It did make attaching the strap tricky - I didn't make the strap longer to match the new width (kept sproinging the sides in Roll Eyes), but once the pad was in, it was okay.

I put velcro on the pillow edge, so I can make a removable pillow to slide in there.

I made the mistake of attaching the velcro on with the overlap going up, not down

So I have to close it very well.  I was being practical and using the less stretchy material for the flap, and not thinking about direction of the fold and scratchiness.  The stitches actually are straight, but the velcro is wavy.  Once I shifted the mat over a little, inside, it moved the velcro lower to the floor, and it flattened out nicely.

Ready to go!
  Because I used such thick matting, I put stiff interfacing behind the buttons to avoid stretching and ripping when the buttons strain to keep it from bursting open.

Anyone with a napper really should make one of these!  We are testing it out at Granny's house in a couple of weeks (or tomorrow in her bedroom  Grin).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
molye
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008 09:10:29 PM »

cool! i want one of those for myself! it'd be great for camping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lollie_pollie
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008 09:49:07 PM »

totally adorable. i love your choice of fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be careful with glitter. It never goes away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008 07:29:55 AM »

That looks great!  I keep meaning to try that tutorial, but I haven't yet.  Great work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008 10:46:25 AM »

Great job - that looks so cute and comfy for her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PoutyPegasus

The wind beneath my wings

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008 01:30:54 PM »

That is soo cute! well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La Maestra
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008 01:52:33 PM »

totally adorable. i love your choice of fabrics.

The fabrics were the result of me telling myself that I would not buy any new fabrics this summer, and only use from my stash!  The super soft green on the sleeping part is actually a remnant that happened to be exactly the right size.

Thanks for the compliments!  This is the first thing I've made from a craftster tutorial, and I'm really tickled with how easy it was and how it turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008 01:58:19 PM »

OOH, it looks great! My nephew uses his all the time, at Grandma's, when travelling, etc. I'm sure your little one will, too! Great job! That tutorial rocks. (and yeah, I struggled with the velcro, too. I used the sticky kind and it kept gumming up my needle etc. Velcro is the devil). Your stitches on the velcro look great (mine are a mess, but I used a busy pattern, LOL)
Yay for naps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
La Maestra
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008 02:11:52 PM »

(and yeah, I struggled with the velcro, too. I used the sticky kind and it kept gumming up my needle etc. Velcro is the devil). Your stitches on the velcro look great (mine are a mess, but I used a busy pattern, LOL)

I used 1/2" velcro, because the larger widths only came as half sticky, half sew on (at my store), and I knew that was the devil's work, for sure.  The 1/2" worked just fine, albeit wavy-ish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Baby Shower Animal Picture Frame
How to Reuse Your Old Road Maps as Placemats
How to Create Gorgeous Silhouette Plates from Old Plates
How to Frame Your Personal Valuables
How to Turn a Leaf Into Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...