A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,344
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Huge brightly coloured FISH playcushion (GCSE project)  (Read 1144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

polkadotsandbows
« on: July 04, 2008 05:53:24 PM »

So, I actually finished this a couple of months back but as it's coursework I wasn't sure about posting it straight away. 

The toddler in the pictures is my cousin's baby.  I was supposed to show the product in use.  I don't actually have any pictures of it without her and now it's been taken away for marking so I can't take more but nevermind.

So, the fish has 3 fins - one rainbow felt, one batik with a mirror and the fin in the centre was tiedyed and stuffed with crinkly material.  (I asked for help finding crinkly stuff on here awhile back.)  Attaching the mirror turned out to be one of the hardest parts.  I ended up using shiny card, mounting it onto a piece cut from a ringbinder (which was ridiculously difficult to cut and sew through - the cause of most of the problems with it) and covering it in stickyback plastic.

Of the rest of the fish, the orange section is screenprinted and I attached a squeaker behind the eye, the blue section is couching (last minute design change), the green section is different coloured and textured circles with cording around the edges and the pink tail has braiding handsewn on.  The back is just black fleece with a button fastening the opening.  When I was designing it, writing cost lists, buying fabric etc, I completely forgot about the fact I'd have to stuff it until the very last minute.  It ended up needing about 3 huge bags of stuffing and a load of white material to make the cushion part.

Crinkly material and squeaker in action

My teacher gave it full marks (subject to change by the official moderators).  She also took the class' projects to a textiles show and entered them in the GCSE category.  I got 3rd prize (and a pretty rosette. Smiley)  No-one else from my year won anything but there were a few prizes in other years and a kid a couple of years below won best in show.

Anyway, comments anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulasews
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008 06:08:25 PM »

Well done! I teach textiles and I am not at all surprised that you got full marks for your product, you use so many different techniques and show a lot of construction skills. I bet the moderators loved it too. Are you going to do textiles AS/A2? I hope so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

akriti
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008 06:23:25 PM »

WOW!! U deserve the full marks!!!ne chance of tute?? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008 08:00:19 PM »

amazing and awesome!
I just love it, thanks for sharing
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
polkadotsandbows
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008 04:32:23 PM »

WOW!! U deserve the full marks!!!ne chance of tute?? Wink
For the whole thing? That'd be a very long tute... What exactly do you want to know how to do?  The individual pieces were decorated using the techniques listed above. The fins and the front and back were sewn together using zigzag stitch on the inside.  The different coloured pieces at the front were attached using cording with black wool but I wouldn't recommend that, it didn't hold very well.  The black fleece was attached to the backs of the fins using a rolled hem with blind hemming stitch by hand.

Thanks for the comments and no, I'm not doing textiles next year, or music which is my other passion.  (I have my grade 8 clarinet exam tomorrow....)  For several reasons, one - the amount of coursework for those subjects nearly killed me, two - I can do as much as I like of them in my spare time without all the stress and restrictions, three - I didn't have enough options to take everything I'd like to, and four - I don't, currently, intend on a career in either of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008 03:00:45 AM »

That is great.  I wish my school had done somethign along these lines for GCSE when I did them!  That was 17 years ago!   Shocked
I think if they had then I'd have gone for textiles/sewing then instead of a set of GCSE's and A levels I don't use!  Sociology and Economics!  I'm an Accountant who wishes to be a full time craftster producer person!

Great job though.  If I pay you would you make one for my Great Niece who is going to be born in October?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
bigboots
Hippy Pirate

Begin, believe, be, beget.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008 10:17:04 AM »

It's very cute. The colours are so bright! I think my toddler would appreciate that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

don't pay the ferryman
blog |
artsy fartsy site | flickr | twitter
polkadotsandbows
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008 10:37:10 AM »

That is great.  I wish my school had done somethign along these lines for GCSE when I did them!  That was 17 years ago!   Shocked
I think if they had then I'd have gone for textiles/sewing then instead of a set of GCSE's and A levels I don't use!  Sociology and Economics!  I'm an Accountant who wishes to be a full time craftster producer person!

Great job though.  If I pay you would you make one for my Great Niece who is going to be born in October?
Wow, well, yes I would.  The only problem is now that I'm out of school until September I'd have trouble getting ahold of the equipment for batik (the bottom fin), screenprinting (the face) and felting (the top fin).  I could make one (or a different design in that style) just using fabric though instead of those techniques?  I.e. strips of fabric instead of felt for the rainbow, patterned fabric or something different instead of the batik - which I never liked anyway and doesn't really fit the rest of the design - and more fabric or possibly cording for the eye and mouth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebeck
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008 02:18:53 PM »

this is really great, i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Tutorial - Pixel Stretching NewDarkRoom
Photoshop Skin Softening NewDarkRom
Photoshop Eye Colorization
Photoshop Selective Colorization NewDarkRoom
How to make hair selection in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...