A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with making wrist cuffs please....  (Read 889 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StinkerbelleRock
« on: February 12, 2005 11:50:49 AM »

I need a little direction and guidance as far as making wrist cuffs (sans sewing machine). When made out of Fabric... do I use a product to stiffen it? I have ideas in mind using grommets and ribbon as sort of a corset closure but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Any help with cuffs/links to tutorials are greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ayn
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005 04:30:36 AM »

Just in case you havent already asked at one of the fabric-related forums here, Ill give it a very feeble shot (you see, Im in love with fabric, well with certain types, but I dont know a lick about sewing or otherwise working with/ making anything out of fabric!).

Think this type of product -- the no sew / iron-on kinds listed -- might do to stiffen a bit?
http://www.stitchemup.com/cornucopia/fusible_web.htm

Fusible web is usually used for applique, which is fabric to fabric, so perhaps you could layer one of the lighter-weight products either between either two strips of the same fabric or between two strips of different but complementary fabrics.

Only problem is, Im not sure how thick even the lighter-weight fusible webs are  --
so possibly the middle layer, the sandwich filling so to speak, might show at the edges of the bracelet.
If that happens you might have to experiment with ways to cover the 'filling' -- oh like maybe make the outer fabric strip wider and fold it over the inner strip.

... oooops and did I somehow forget to mention something using good ole fabric glue?!
personally I can't live without that stuff, lol.

You could try putting interfacing material between layers of your fabric and using a good fabric glue to stick the 'sandwich' together. I believe interfacing comes in different weights too (like fusible web).

Even if you don't sew at all I'm sure you've seen or indirectly 'felt' it before.  It's usually white & is often used to add a little body to certain parts of a garment.  Inside a collar, or down the inside edges of the front of a jacket, for example.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005 04:42:14 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005 05:00:05 AM »

ooo looky here ... I don't like the first cardboard covered thing ... but the second item ... hmmm it's called a 'kitty collar' necklace but I don't see why the same ideas couldn't be used for a bracelet too (this person even mentions grommets in her kitty-collar tutorial) :

http://speakeasy.org/~traceyb/thrift/March/diy.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arpeggia
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005 05:08:57 AM »

I've made wrist cuffs out of scraps/neckties/cheap pleather by using school glue/hot glue and stiff felt inside.  I ironed the fabric in a tri-fold arrangement over a piece of stiff felt (measured to fit my wrist) so there are two flaps of equal length that can fold over the felt and be glued securely without showing (kind of like unfolding the underside of a necktie and putting stiff felt inside).  Then I glue another smaller strip of felt over the folds to doubly seal it up.

I have used velcro, corset-style ties, safety pins, buttons and staples (works great, just pull them out at the end of the day/night and staple again next time).

Good luck!

PS: I'm new here, hi. Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
StinkerbelleRock
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005 10:50:19 AM »

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Welcome to you Arpeggia!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Superchica

Keeping you Chic & Unique

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005 07:53:49 PM »

I've been making wrist cuffs for the last month.  I love the results, but they are very time consuming.  My biggest problem is closure.  I thought about a corset type closure, but how would someone put that on themselves?  I have a hard enough time closing the clasp on bracelets, I can't imagine trying to lace a tiny corset with one hand, but it would look really cool.  I've also tried velcro and that works well.  Right now my favorite choice is snaps.  They look great and are very secure.  The problem is that they are a nightmare to attach and kinda costly.  If anyone has a tip on where to buy them for cheap, let me know.  I use my sewing machine to sew 2 pieces together, but if I wasn't gonna do that I would use heavy weight wool felt ( not summer friendly though) or dip regular fabric in liquid heavy starch, let dry and iron.  That will give it some weight.  Try using grossgrain ribbon in 2" width.  It's pretty heavy and will hold a grommet very well. Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melllimelll
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005 02:37:02 PM »

Hey, I'm new to crafting and this site. Thanks for the info even though I didn't ask the question. I have to wear wristcuffs and bands due to a rather ugly burn above my wrist.  I get too many stares otherwise. The burn's about 2 1/2 in. from my wristbones.  I would like to know if there is a to keep the cuffs from sliding down my arm besides glueing it to the skin.  Kidding. Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Taylor Branch on College Students and Sit in Movement
Preparing for Pregnancy in 5 Easy Steps
Middle Men by Jim Gavin
Daniel Wallace Talks About His Novel The Kings and Queens of Roam
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...