A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Voulez Vous Crochet Avec Moi? Call for submissions for next SnB book  (Read 42514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

debacle
« on: February 12, 2005 11:46:34 AM »

Hi there -

Sorry to bum-rush this thread, but I did get Leah's permission first.

I'm writing to tell you about my latest Stitch 'n Bitch book project, and to invite you to contribute to it. The subject of this next book is going to be crochet. I know blasphemy!!but where I'm from, if you're a needleworker you're a needleworker, and there's no reason not to add more mad skillz to your repertoire. Besides, crochet has it's benefits: It's much easier to do on the beach (I always pick up a few crochet projects over the summer); if you're already a knitter, some of your skills can easily translate over to crochet (especially if you knit left-handed); and crocheting is just plain better at certain things than knitting is. This book will be the perfect crochet primer for both total newbies as well as those with developed knitting skills, and will include special "for knitters only" tips to help you get through the rough spots. Not only that, even if you've never felt the urge to get hooking before, the projects in this book will be so cool,  they'll make you want to give it a try.

Speaking of cool projects, that's where you come in: I'm looking for contributions of the funnest, most awesome, hippest crochet projects, using any and all crochet methods (the book will cover it all), from the simple to the more challenging. The projects can range from clothing to accessories to household items to jewelry to baby things and pet items. Whether you're a closet or out-in-the-open crocheter, I'd love you to contribute to the book. Even first-time designers are invited to contribute. If you're familiar with my two knitting books, you know the kinds of things I'm looking for.

But get crackin', because the deadline is March 7th!

To contribute, please send the following:

1) If you have a completed project, please send a few good-quality photos of the item, along with a detailed description of it. Please email your photos and description to me at stitchnbitch@bust.com, and be sure to include your full name, email addresses, daytime and evening phone numbers, and mailing address. You can also mail these to me here: Debbie Stoller, BUST Magazine, 78 Fifth Ave, 5th floor, New York, NY 10011.

OR

2) If you have an idea for a project but have not yet completed it, that's okay too. Just send me a very clear, detailed sketch  of your idea, along with a  photo of a swatch made in the yarns and stitch pattern you plan to use. This swatch should be rather large: 10" x 10" would be the best, if it's possible (for some types of projects that might not be possible.) Email that to me at stitchnbitch@bust.com, and be sure to include your full name, email addresses, daytime and evening phone numbers, and mailing address. You can also mail these to me here: Debbie Stoller, BUST Magazine, 78 Fifth Ave, 5th floor, New York, NY 10011.

If your project is accepted, you will be provided with the yarn you need to produce a sample, which will be photographed for the book and kept by me (to take on tour, 'natch!). You will also be paid for your submission, and will receive a free copy of the book once it is completed.

If you have any questions about the process, feel free to email me. Thanks in advance, everyone!

xxxooo debbie stoller
Author, "Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook" and "Stitch 'n Bitch Nation"
http://www.knithappens.com

p.s. Knitters, don't fret. You haven't seen the last of my knitting books yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005 11:53:53 AM »

HA! This is just too funny. I've crocheted for the past hundred or so years.... only to find your fabulous books and learn to knit..... only to have you take me back to crochet.
Good luck with your new book, I'll buy it for sure.
I hope all the hard-core knitters take the news well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005 12:16:25 PM »

*cries a little*

well, my boyfriend is a crocheter and always jealous of the hott projects i make from the snb books, so i guess this is the universe's way of balancing.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '........................................................')
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
machinegirl
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005 02:17:50 PM »

God, I am STOKED. I taught myself how to knit using SNB, and now I can teach myself something other than chain stitch! So. Freaking. Happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005 02:53:18 PM »

Yay!  Leave it to Debbie to find a way to make crocheting look cool!  I'm so psyched to see what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005 06:41:42 PM »

Oh, Leah, shame on you!  Crocheting has ALWAYS looked cool!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Nineightohone

Don't make me come over there!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005 06:55:43 PM »

OMG. I'm going to die.

I just bought the first SNB book last week and was thinking how much it would rock if you came out with a crochet book too!

I'm trying to think if I have anything worthy of submitting...

Probably not.  Sad

I wanna be in the book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.~

Please come see my Etsy shop! www.notjustpurses.etsy.com Thanks Smiley
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005 07:51:42 PM »

all I can say is...Its about fuckin time that theres a decent hip Crochet book out there. Now I will learn to do more than the chain stitch my granny taught me Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005 09:29:47 PM »

YES! Crochet! I don't knit, but I crochet... Ive been wishing for this to happen since I learned to crochet. This is unbelievably awesome.

...but I've nothing to contribute...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
ForevrBee
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005 07:00:44 AM »

Only just started crocheting over Christmas break, but will be looking forward to the book when it comes out.

EDIT: Somewhat O-T, I've been working on a crocheted version of "Knit Your Own Rock Star"  from SnB Nation, but it's a work in progress, taking a break right now to work on other stuff.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005 07:06:33 AM by ForevrBee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build LEGO Minicon Safeguard
Betty Woodman, Max Protech Gallery
Ivan Navarro, Concentration Camp, at Roebling Hall
Gordon Matta Clark and Rirkrit Tiravanija at David Zwirner
Tony Matelli, New Works, Leo Koenig Gallery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...